C25k - Week 4 problems

Options
I'm on week 4 of the C25k and I'm struggling here people! I did day one on Sunday plus a bit...managed the full 5 mins of running but had to pull up short due to some pain in my thigh/groin.

No pain today but I didn't manage a single 5 minute stretch, my breathing was all over the place and it was very very hard work. I did manage to conquer my nemesis hill (its small but long if that makes sense) and I'm just getting hung up on the worry that I'll be stuck on week 4 forever!

I have my 1st 5k race on Feb 19th - I want to be able to run the whole damn thing, not pull up short or have to walk some of it!

Not sure what I'm asking for, but any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!

Replies

• philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    make sure you take time to stretch before AND after your workout... makes a HUGE difference
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Yup - definitely doing that. Paying major attention to the bits that end up more sore than the others and my ankles...

Part of me is hoping it was just a mediocre run...the other part of me is very defeated.
  • jasonmeurer
    jasonmeurer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have run into similar plateaus in other set schedule routines. (most notably week 3 of Insanity) What I found was if I backed off on the intensity a bit but pushed through the week, I was able to recover and push forward. My suggestion with C25K is to back off the pace but keep going. If you are on a treadmill, slow your pace by .3-.5MPH and focus on your breathing along with your stride.
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Don't feel defeated. :cry: You'll get it - just keep working at it. I didn't think I would ever get up to running 5 minutes. It will come, be patient. -- but, also, don't overdo it. You don't want to push to the point that you injure yourself and can't do the 5K at all.
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips Jason...I'll see what happens on Thursday when I'm back out on my next run, I think the pace thing is right...I end up flying out and then burn out...must learn to slow it down a notch.

@countrymom1...thanks lovely...I would be devastated if I couldn't do the 5k...literally. Guess I'm a little hard on myself, not to mention impatient :grumble:
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Don't get down on yourself, and don't push yourself too hard. Listen to your body, you will get there. Work on your pace, slow down if it helps. A lot of people new to running do too much, too soon....trust me, I know from experience! It took me many attempts at running before I got it right.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You'll get there. Week 4 is hard and on many other discussions that I have seen, a place that gives many people problems. You've had some good advice here. Slow it down, just a bit, if you need to to get through it. And don't feel bad if you need to do the workout again before moving on. And the best advice I ever received...make sure you have good running shoes. They can make all the difference between being in pain and not.
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Just go really slowly with it - don't worry too much about time or distance, just make sure that you keep moving at a jog, don't let yourself walk (with the C25K that is).
    As far as the 5k goes, set yourself small milestones - the first one i did I didn't think I waould be able to run it all - got round by thinking I can run to that gatepost, can make that tree etc etc....got easier after 3k!
    You will be fine hun, don't beat yourself up over it x