Polar F6 Female HRM Question

Options
Ok so I finally tanked and bought an F6 HRM last month! I absolutely LOVE it and wear it whenever I work out. It's so nice to finally see how different the machines at the gym are from actual burned calories. I have a question about daily burned calories though...

I am 21, about 5'6'', and weigh approximately 118-120;bs. I've always had a high metabolism, mainly because I've been in competitive sports my entire life. I'm not looking to lose weight, but maintain or even gain a few pounds. Just as a side note, I eat a lot of food - more so than my fiancee ;).

Yesterday I was curious about how many calories I actually burn in a day (just to see what it would be - i've been dizzy for a few weeks and was wondering if I'm not eating enough from working out..i usually eat around 2000 cals a day and have more than enough water). I put on my HRM when I woke up at 7:30 and set it up - it did the Own Zone thing all day. It was a mostly relaxing day, but I did work out for a half hour - burned 300 cals on an elliptical. What I'm curious about is that I know that for your organs to function normally, you need approximately 1200-1300 cals a day. What I was surprised to see when I went to bed at 11pm is that the HRM only posted in 1500 cals burned. From this site, and mypyramid.gov it's recommended that I eat 1700 cals and 2200 cals, respectively.

So, basically...does the HRM track EXTRA cals burned, meaning, did I burn 1300+1500 =2800 cals yesterday, or did I really only burn 1500? My resting heart rate is about 70bpm, which is normal for an active person my age. I dunno, I just feel that number should have been higher...any thoughts?

Replies

• TheGuardian
    TheGuardian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You probably burned another 600 calories ish (75 per hour I've read somewhere) while sleeping
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    So, basically...does the HRM track EXTRA cals burned, meaning, did I burn 1300+1500 =2800 cals yesterday, or did I really only burn 1500?
    No, it doesn't calculate extra. It calculates what you've burned during the period it was turned on.

IME most places that tell you how many calories to eat way over-estimate the number you need. This site is better about it, but it's still an estimate.