What time do you eat breakfast?

What time do you eat breakfast?
I usually eat w/in 2 hours of waking up, even if I am not hungry yet. I am wondering if I should be waiting until I am hungry to eat in the am, so maybe I will not need a snack later in the am too. I usually eat early to “jump start” my metabolism. Should I wait until I’m actually hungry or should I continue to eat early?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Eating early doesn't "jump start" your metabolism. This is based on myth that unfortunately hasn't died yet.

Thermic effect of food is based on calories (primarily) and macronutrient composition. It is not based on frequency.

You can go upwards of 3 days without food before any negative effects on metabolism.

So, I would suggest that if you're not hungry, don't eat breakfast. See how you feel doing this and also see how it effects your decisions when it does come time to eat later in the day.

For SOME people, not eating breakfast causes them to overeat (when I say overeat, I mean go beyond their daily goal intake). For others, it's a great strategy because it allows them to "bank" calories for later in the day.

I prefer not eating breakfast and my intake is at 3200 currently. It allows me to effectively eat more later during the day since I'm not eating those calories earlier.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Usually around Saturday.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    I wake at 7am on weekdays and eat breakfast at 8am. I'm not necessarily hungry by then, but I can't wait any longer.

I've finally perfected the art of having a lie-in on days when I'm not in the office, so I usually wake just before 9am then, and I make sure I've eaten breakfast by 11am so that I can stick to having lunch at a sensible time. Again, I'm not always hungry, but at least I have an extra hour before I need to eat.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    I dont feel hungry until about 1030 am, so I eat what probably classifies as brunch, late lunch about 2pm and then dinner.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    I don't wait to get hungry to eat any time of day. I eat small amounts frequently through out the day and never get hungry (when I follow the plan). When I get hungry I tend to over eat or eat the wrong things. When I have a plan and a schedule I am in better control of what I eat and how much. Do what works for you and that you can sustain over a long period of time. There are no magic bullets.
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    The minute my eyes are opened, I'm hungry! LOL.

Weekdays: 6:15 am.

Weekends: between 7:30 and 8:30 am.
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    well, I'm hungry pretty much within a half-hour of waking at 5:30, but I don't eat until about 1pm - all while my stomach is talking to me. Stupid Intermittent Fasting! HAHA!
  • SnuggleXPuff
    SnuggleXPuff Posts: 22 Member
    Usually I wake up around 9AM and I eat within just a few moments. I always wake up really hungry since I eat very early dinners.
  • I wake up pretty early- 6am- for work. I start with coffee, around 8am and usually don't eat anything until about 9:30-10am. My breakfast, even on the weekends, is really considered *brunch* to many people.
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    When I get up at 5am uring the week and around 8am on a weekend after a 30 miles pre-breakfast ride
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    before 10am. after 11am i call it lunch. between 10am and 11am thats called brunch.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    When I'm hungry. Why eat if you aren't hungry? That makes no sense at all.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    On weekdays (work days) I get up at 6:30 and have a glass of chocolate soy milk around 7:00 while making my and my husband's lunches. If I get hungry I'll have a piece of fruit or Kashi TLC bar around 10:00 if not I usually don't eat again until lunch. On the weekends I generally eat something when I get up, which is usually around 9:30.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    right now
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Early during the week 6:30 - then have a snack about 9:30 at work - weekends later, I try to wait for the fam, but they are late sleepers -- so about 8
  • stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    if i can remmber to bring breakfast, at least w/in two hours of waking up. if i'm not hungry, i will still eat, at least tha tway i wont go crazy. usually its oatmeal, or something heaftier, personally, i will eat my biggest meal in the morning then lighter ones during the day. i gotta eat breakfast though, i get crazy hungry in the mornings!
  • mm3898
    mm3898 Posts: 138 Member
    The minute my eyes are opened, I'm hungry! LOL.

Weekdays: 6:15 am.

Weekends: between 7:30 and 8:30 am.

Ditto! I wish I wasn't hungry the minute my eyes open! :laugh:
  • TheMrsFitnessGeek
    TheMrsFitnessGeek Posts: 89 Member
    4:30AM, I wake up at 4am. I stick to eating my first meal within an hour of waking. Since I usually do not over eat at night I am starving when I wake up.
  • i eat within an hour of waking up.
  • anytime after 1pm as this is when i usually wake up.