30 Day Shred for beginners?

Options
I tried to do the 30 Day Shred this evening. I did do it all the way through, but I was not able to do all of the moves or last as long as the girls did on the DVD. I can't do jumping jacks for 30 seconds straight, (maybe I could if someone wasn't counting, lol). I feel really discouraged and low.

At first I was wondering how am I going to do this if I can't do a beginner work out video, I almost gave up. Then I wondered, is Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred considered a beginner work out video? After thinking about it, I don't think so but I want some other opinions...

What video would you recommend for a beginner?

Replies

• amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 day shred and it took me some time to get the endurance. Did you try following the gal who does the low impact? Jumping jacks was difficult and if I couldn't do them I jogged in place to try and keep heart rate up.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't consider 30 Day Shred a workout for beginners. I hear from a lot of already healthy and active people that even THEY find it difficult. No need for you to feel discouraged or low, if you did the best you could do, that's all that matters! At least you made it all the way through, so that's got to count for something. But to answer your question, no, I don't think it really is for "beginners".

One workout DVD that I really enjoy is pretty much anything from Leslie Sansone. Her workouts pretty much revolve around walking in place and doing 4 basic moves to help tone muscle, and sometimes she uses weights as well. Her workout is really basic, easy to follow, low impact but still very effective! She STILL has me sweating, even after I've been doing her workouts for months! I'd say that's a good choice for beginners.

Hope this helps!

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • Demmuscles
    Demmuscles Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Serously, hang in there! When I first did it I thought I was gonna die. by about the 5th time I learnt how to do everything right and started getting more from it. You have to build up endurance and it will come. Plenty of beginners have had amazing results, as have I, in a short time, and I have only just began level 3. You CAN do it :)
  • andri010
    Options
    The 30DS was hard for me to get through at first. I didn't even finish the first circuit. Thankfully, I did it together with a friend who motivated me on my second day to get through it. I marched in place for about 4-5 seconds when the cardio got too tough. I suggest building your endurance by trying to do jumping jacks on your own, working up to 30 seconds. Same with the jump rope, as well as the butt kick move. once you build your endurance, you should have little trouble with the cardio.

I also suggest using lower level weights (2-3 lbs at first). If that is too hard, try doing the weight moves using just the weight from your arms, until you can build up higher.

And remember, dont get hung up on doing every single move perfectly throughout the video. As long as you push yourself and break a sweat, it's all worth it.

10128130.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    i would definately say that this IS a beginner workout because i used it as my Beginning. i sat on the couch for four years and when i finally decided to do something about it i used the 30 day shred video to start off. i literally cried while trying to do it because i had such a lack of belief in myself. "i'll never be able to do this"
    I promise you that the first five days are the hardest. Your body will hurt and you will want to give up. I definately started out doing the modified version and feeling like there is no way in hell that i can do all those jump ropes etc... fill in the blank i have thought that about every move on the video!!!!!!!!!! BUT YOU CAN DO IT!!!! it really is amazing what you are capable of but you have to try!!! You are doing this for yourself so just do it!!!!!!!! i lost twenty pounds by doing the 30ds and an hour of walking a night and sticking to my calories. you can do this.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Keep pushing through. Even if you aren't doing it perfect, your getting a good work out. When I started I had to alter a lot of the exercise (mostly the jumping otherwise my knees would hurt for days), but the more you do the easier it starts to get.
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    it's not easy especially if you aren't used to working out or have some weight on you, but it is do able.

I alternate feet instead of jumping and still do the arm movements or march in place as it is mean to keep your heart rate up either way. I do the push ups against the wall cause i can't do knee ones.

Just alter things for you and you'll get to the point where you won't have to any more.
  • gary5891
    Options
    I started the 30 Day Shred on Sunday and after 2 attempts i still can't finish it but i'm going to keep going every day until i can finish it!

I hardly got any exercise before i started this and my shoudler muscles are very sore but i will keep going as i'm determined not to let it beat me!

Good luck :o)
  • lizgreenhill
    Options
    Its not the easiest dvd at first. My first time i felt like an idiot because i couldnt do the jumping jacks , or anything, but after the first few days it got easier and easier and after a week i could do the whole dvd without wanting to throw up or pass out. It just takes time and like other said its about endurance. Now i can do jumping jacks for 3minutes at a time and i am currently on level 2. Dont get discouraged you will be able to do it. Good luck to you
  • BreakThruComing
    Options
    This is definitely not a beginner DVD, especially if you are going from a sedentary lifestyle. I started it once, and kinda jumped around between levels 1 and 2...then realizing that it is the same stuff I was doing with my personal trainer that I had (had to ditch her b/c it wasn't cheap at all)! Well, i fell off the wagon over the holiday, but I have just restarted and I am now on day 4. I will say that as each day passes, I do feel as if I am able to accomplish a little more than last time. I guess that would be from building my endurance. My knees and shoulder muscles are the only areas that are really sore right now. But hey...No Pain No Gain! I read the picture in your profile...and maybe you should read it again too!!! Stop saying you can't, and try saying "I CAN do this!" You have to push yourself. That's what I keep telling myself this time. I read success stories everyday on here to try to help keep me focused. So far, I think it's working, because I didn't even get to start the 30 day Shred until around 10:45 pm. Trust me, I would've much rather been in my bed sleep...BUT this time I've etched my plan in stone and I'm sticking to it....30 day shred for 30 days straight!!!! You CAN do this, believe in yourself!!!
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I wasn't about to start the 30 Day Shred until I'd worked up to it first - and I consider myself an active person - well, let me clarify - I USED to consider myself an active person, ha ha! I used to figure skate daily, and swim, do personal training, and do lots of active stuff.....but that was years ago, and the last few years have seen me pretty sedentary.

So....I started with a Leslie Sansone video. I like her 3-mile walk with weights. In fact, I still love that video - you can use the weights, or not, if you're *literally* just starting out. The first day I did it, I only did half the video, by plan. The next day or two, the whole thing, but no weights. The next few weeks - only 1-pound weights, then I moved on to 2-pound weights, and adding some jogging in some of the places where she's just walking. Still love it. (I only wish I could get the same workout in half the time.)

I just started the 30DS today, and I found that it was much better than I had feared. I was able to keep up with nearly everything - and even though some stuff was pretty tough, I could see that I was definitely capable of it, and it will only get better.

But I'm *really* glad that I didn't burn myself out with trying to start it too soon - so glad I worked up to it first.
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I feel better about it now knowing that I am not alone! I will do it again tonight!

I can get all the way through when I change things up a bit, but I will get there!
  • afikaris
    afikaris Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: aww andri010 I'm glad I helped in the motivational process. The workout was tough at first but if you get through the first few minutes it actually is not all that bad afterwards.
  • AAustin311
    Options
    Very motivating! I start tonight, will have to keep your post in my mind when I feel discouraged. That's an awesome amount of weight to lose.