Ideas as to why not losing weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• michis05
    michis05 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm having a little issue. I can't seem to lose weight. I am stuck in 145-150. I exercise 6 times a week, for about an hour. I consider myself very active My eating isn't to healthy but it is on the good side. I have cut out alot of the bad stuff. I was doing a little research and some of the reasons that stood out were no sleep and not eating enough calories. Which I am guilty of :/ I will try to get my 8 hours and eat more. If I see no change in a month or 2 I will probably make an appointment to see if it isn't a medical problem. Anyone ever had this problem? If so did you identify what you were doing wrong and when you fixed it did you see a change?

Yes and yes.

To start, eating healthy is just as important if NOT MORE than working out. I cannot stress the importance of adding fruits and vegetables and eliminating the worst offenders. If your eating to live, rather than living to eat, you WILL notice improvements in all faucets of your physical feeling/workouts/moods. I will end the rant here but it's very important.

sleep is as well. But assuming everything else is healthy sleep should naturally follow.

Based on what you said, my first impression was 6x week, way too much. Before I get stoned, let me explain why. I'm not sure what constitutes workouts to you, so this might not be as bad as I read. Like if all you did was walk an hour for example. But when you workout (weights, hard cardio) your body NEEDS its recovery. It needs 8 hrs sleep, rest days, proper nutrition including protein and fruit/veggies for providing it the best it can be. When you deprive your body of these, it's like taking a butterknife to a brawl. Not very effective. But if you give your body these, you'll start taking guns and steel to a workout.

I suggest alternating your workouts. If your doing 6x 1h now, it wouldnt hurt you to do 3x 2hrs. This gives you a little break to repair yourself. Your body is extremely good at balancing itself out in times as little as a few weeks. So your body WILL adapt to what your doing to where it's not as effective as it once was. So you need to occasionally switch it up. I do so monthly. Example, I walk 3 miles 3x week and I lift 3x week for 5 -12 exercises. Each on has 3 sets of 10. Even though, after time I tripled my lifts... The first yoga class I took I was SORE as hell. The first time I swam for an hour, I was SORE as hell. So I introduced Hapkido to keep me guessing since I never knew what I would get.

I GPS my walks and times, I log all exercise and what I eat and I suggest you do the same. This has been extremely helpful to me to be able to find "what works" where I am stalling, where I see improvements etc. For example I use Endomondo on my phone for my walks. I walk to and from school daily 1.5 miles. I use to take 32 min. After a month, I got it down to 30 but I no longer felt it was "hard". I kept this for weeks. Then the holidays came and I took 5 days off. The next time I walked I was 28 min. Then I took another 4 days off and got it down to 25 min. Even though I didn't feel it was different, the time it took doesnt lie. I wouldn't have "seen" that had I not been vigilant about logging what I did. It keeps me motivated to push harder, but more importantly it gives me something to logically argue the necessity of rest. Without it, I would still be doing 30 minutes all the time and never improving. That is the importance of rest and breaks. Why bust your *kitten* 24/7 to not have improvements? If you could do more. with less effort, wouldn't you? Doing this allows you to approach health more logically, rather than haphazardly.

I stalled over November/Dec, the entire month. Frustrated the hell out of me, so I bought a BodyBugg. Turned out I was eating to little, sometimes 1700 defecits. No wonder I wasn't losing. So with the BB I could adjust my cals daily to maintain a 1000cal defecit and lost 5 lbs in a week. A little science goes a long way.

WOW!! Thanks for letting me know what you do! I will try to change some stuff an hopefully see some changes!