De-motivated by the end of work!

Options
When I'm at work, I would say 40% of my time is spent doing the actual work I'm being paid for, and 60% of my time is spent procrastinating, much of which takes place on this very website! Anyway, I end up on the Success Stories which are fabulously inspirational and I read motivational blogs and end up feeling really fired up about getting fit and enjoying exercise and healthy eating, but then when I get home at the end of the day, and I'm tired and irritated with the world, all the motivation has gone and I can't find any desire to work-out or stop myself from having something unhealthy to eat (my usual argument being it doesn't matter, you looked fine this morning, this won't hurt) and this has happened every night since I came back after Christmas, and I'm sick of feeling like this! I don't want my depression returning, I just want to be happy and healthy and to feel a million times more attractive. I'm so sorry, this is a rant, but where else to bare your soul but on the internet where you're only an IP address and no-one really knows you properly?!

If anyone has read through this far, do you maybe think you could help? Little tricks to get re-fired up by the time I'm sat on the train home, ready to face the evening? Books to read or ideas to think about? Any tips would be welcomed and thank you for your efforts!

Replies

• hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I usually have extra time on the weekend, so I think of it as the opportunity to plan and cook a healthy meal. I understand it's tough to get motivated on the weekend, but it can also be liberating in that you have more time for YOU : )
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Depression stinks.. and I it took me awhile to get out of it and feel good about myself.. the more I exercise and the more I eat good the better I know feel.. I did the same thing, at the end of the day.. Id say the heck with it and eat whatever.. The more I did that the more I would wake up hating myself.. so I sat down and wrote why I wanna get in shape and exercise and eat right. Anytime I start to go back to wanting to eat at night I read what I wrote,and that fires me back up again!
    Maybe you could give that a try!!
    Good Luck.. feel free to add me!
  • SlowlyFighting
    SlowlyFighting Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Both of those are really good ideas I think. I'll crack out the ink and get writing! Thanks guys. I hope the sun shines at some point!
  • aiwich
    aiwich Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i work 10-12 hours some days and i feel tired and i would like NOT to exercise... at that point music motivates me. i grab my ipod and my favorite songs and i just start dancing arround the room. that wakes me up ;) maybe you could try it ;)
  • SlowlyFighting
    Options
    Ahh, well for some reason music doesn't motivate me that much, and if I ever do find a suitable song, I get bored of it very easily and thus it doesn't work anymore!

Previous songs have included:

Bleed It Out - Linkin Park
    I'm Still Standing - Elton John
    Black Or White - Michael Jackson

Nice and varied... :S
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I never want to exercise after work either. I've planned to and not once do I think I've actually gone through with it. When work ends I just wanna get home and jammie up!

So I make sure to go to the gym in the morning before work. I learned to enjoy being awake before everyone else and avoiding crowds. It's not fun getting up so early but like anything else you get used to it. You start going to bed earlier and getting better sleep.

Don't know if it's possible for your schedule but it's something I'd recommend. Find a way that it works for you. Good luck!
  • Kai85
    Kai85 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I'm only really doing the 30 day shred at the moment and running on alternate days with friends. The two things that help me about this is - the dvd is only 30 mins so as soon as I start I'm 30 minutes closer to finishing and by running with friends I feel like I'm letting them down if I don't go.

Some days it seems easier to curl up on the couch and have a nap though!
  • karenlesley47
    karenlesley47 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Know exactly where you are coming from on that score, I have started to try & cook meals at the weekend that i can either freeze or keep in the fridge so when i come home tired & not wanting to cook i can grab one of them so at least if I don't have the energy to exercise I'm still eating healthy.
    On the exercise front I just try & keep it simple in the week, something like stepping while I'm catching up on a bit of tv seems to work well for me & then a good brisk walk or two at the weekend.
    I hope you find some way that works for you. Take care.
  • twilightsm
    Options
    I'm usually like that too. I'm sore all the time and my back kills me when I'm done with work... or waking up in the morning. Mentally, I know that doing my workouts make me feel better, but the motivation is still gone. So, when I'm out of work or just getting up... I start out with my Yoga for Aches and Pains dvd (or you can get it on Netflix) and just that little bit stretching puts me back into the groove to excersize again :)
  • SlowlyFighting
    Options
    My gym opens at 7, but I have to catch my train at 8.24, so I don't really have the time to get gym-ing in the mornings :( I could go back to running I guess, I'm getting my gait measured on Saturday so I don't get plantar facitis again, or shin splints, or trouble with my knees! (Always blame the trainers!)

I'm thinking about cycling to work in the mornings, but not until my current train pass expires. It cost me the hiked-up price, so I am using the hell out it until it's finished!

And I did buy a 30DS DVD, but it doesn't work in my laptop (we don't own a TV) even though it's the correct Region, and other DVDs work fine so I know it's not the drive.

Thanks for the responses guys!
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Slowlyfighting,
    I've struggled with depression and anxiety all my life. And while the battles are continuous, I can say that right now I am on the winning side of the war. One thing I can tell you is your self worth will only get a temporary boost from looking better, from other people's compliments, from other's envy. Those will not sustain you. Cliche as it may sound, you have to get ok with yourself. You have to accept yourself for what you are, stop comparing, stop envying. The thing about those people who look happy and like they have their stuff together is that you only see them a few moments of the day. You don't know what's going on in their heads. They are people just like you.
    I think it's great that you are making your health a priority. Taking care of yourself starts with that. Extend that to taking care of your insides, your mind, heart, and soul. Give yourself props. Tell yourself when you are proud of yourself. Counteract that negative internal dialogue with positive. It takes just as much energy to put a positive spin on things as it does to put a negative spin on things.
    I don't know about you, but I grew up in a house where I walked on eggshells, so I was constantly policing myself. It gave me a perfectionism complex that it has taken years to deconstruct. This is a big factor in why we can't just accept ourselves and turn off that critical internal dialogue. I decided I can't spend my life waiting for things to be just right (perfect). I hope you can to.
    Enjoy the journey!
  • plaid405
    plaid405 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    With 3 kids it is so hard to make it to the gym after work. I have to scramble to get something together for dinner, make sure their homework is done and that they are bathed/showered and still make it to the gym in the middle of that. I do know on the days I actually make it to the gym I am so happy and proud when I am done. The gym really does make you feel better. So once again I have to force myself to somehow make it there tonight. I have started walking one mile a day with a few girls from work on my lunch. It's not much but every little bit helps, right?!?!?!
  • apriliamark
    Options
    Any opportunity to exercise during your working day? (I am spoiled by an onsite gym, but a jog/walk is just as good..)
  • jennyburnett
    Options
    I have a similar problem. I work at a hospital (desk job) and during the work day I have been getting up & walking or taking the stairs several times a day. However when I get home all my good intentions to do yoga or whatever goes out the door. I find myself sitting down & not being as active as I intended to be.
  • kasseyrichards
    Options
    I'm a single mother of a two year old. I work from 9-5 Monday through friday. My job is a desk job too by the way and no stairs to go up and down. I sweat REALLY easy so doing a lunch time work out is pretty out of the question. So by the time I pick her up from the sitter, get home cook dinner and eat, it's already 8 o' clock. Then I have to get her ready for bed and still find the time amongst all of this to have that special mommy daughter time. I don't want to have my daughter suffer from our time and be "neglected" so to speak just so I can cram in 20 minutes of cardio. and after she goes to bed around 9 if I'm lucky, I'm completely drained and do the same. Any single moms out there that can be a motivation and have suggestions PLEASE add me and help me out. I really need to lose at least 50 lbs to feel better and be better for my daughter
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as the OP. Really need to cut back on the time I waste on the internet at work, but I find I am so tired that I cant focus. I get home (after 120 mile round trip) and I'm knackered. I try and be cheerful and all that for my fiancee and help with chores and by the time you turn around its 9pm.

I'm going to try to start using my Wii (EA SPorts Active) and get even 15 minutes in 3 times a week. I also need to stop the internet at work before I'm fired or something.

Big problem for me is not sleeping properly. I cant recall the last time I slept through. I'm stupidly tired most of the time which doesnt help. I've also not been eating properly (not enough in my case) which means I have a lot less energy, nor have I drunk enough water which has negatively affected my moods. I quit alcohol this year which I think is helping a bit.