Post-workout Protein?

Options
I've been swimming laps every day after work for about 45 minutes. I've been having a protein smoothie right after my workout, but after realizing the amount of calories I burn working out and the amount of calories on the protein and fruit, it seems kinda unnecessary. I understand I'm breaking down my muscles and they need protein to rebuild, but I eat a decent amount of protein in my diet already.

Thoughts? Should I skip the protein or is it really helping me drop more weight?

Replies

• MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    As long as your overall protein intake each day is adequate (around 1 gram per lb of Lean Body Mass) you will be fine. Meal timing is irrelevant.

I personally try to get most of my protein from actual food, then fill in the gap just before bed with a shake if I need more protein or calories.
  • peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I only drink protein after doing strength training. Otherwise, if it's cardio (swimming, running, aerobics, etc.) I just make sure to eat some sugar from fruits beforehand to feed the muscle (have a banana, etc.). That's what my trainer told me to do, anyhow! Hope it helps!
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you burn? How many calories are the shakes?
    I would personally rearrange my calories so I had calories for the shake post work out.
    The key for shakes is to go low calorie and sugar/high protein. It's tough, but there are a few! I think it is really important to eat after a work out because your muscles will be breaking down and needing the extra boost...even if it just a peanut butter sandwich (good combo of carbs/protein). Whey protein is used in your muscles in 30 min, soy in an hour and casein protein in 5 hours.
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    no, you have a 60 minute window to rebuild those muscles and burn fat. You should keep doing what you are doing. The carbs and protein that you are ingesting after your workout is going in and rebuilding your muscles and the carbs are getting restored as glycogen for energy to give you energy in your workout for the next day, but you must do this within 60 minutes of your workout. The food you eat if the right food or shake will get put to good use and not get stored any where as fat.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    If you are solely looking to drop weight, I'd pass on the protein drink.

I try to eat around 200 grams of protein/day only because I'm trying to bulk up a bit.
  • peachprl
    Options
    Also, how much protein you take in depends on what your goal is. I want to burn fat and tone, so I am told to aim for about 0.5- 0.75 g/lb of body weight. If you want to build muscle, more like 1 g per pound. Again, that's what my trainer advises :-)
  • peachprl
    Options

I try to eat around 200 grams of protein/day only because I'm trying to bulk up a bit.

Protein intake can actually help burn fat, FYI. As long as you're not taking in insane amounts!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    no, you have a 60 minute window to rebuild those muscles and burn fat. You should keep doing what you are doing. The carbs and protein that you are ingesting after your workout is going in and rebuilding your muscles and the carbs are getting restored as glycogen for energy to give you energy in your workout for the next day, but you must do this within 60 minutes of your workout. The food you eat if the right food or shake will get put to good use and not get stored any where as fat.

not quite, it might be most beneficial right after but your total window is more like 24-48hours (the amount of time it takes to repair the muscle. As long as you hit your protein macro for the day, timing have very little added benefit.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Please stop with your bro science, the so called anabolic window lasts a lot longer then 60 min
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

protein intake is very important during weight loss, this helps ensure that you retain as much muscle as possible.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I personally can't tolerate protein drinks. I have self-diagnosed myself with a whey allergy :). Anyway, I just eat a ton of protein rich food, like chicken breasts and tuna. And it's never within 60 minutes of working out, because quite honestly, that is impossible for me.
  • wmartin8
    Options
    Protein does help you lose weight, by keeping you satiated and by helping you maintain lean muscle. Although, ultimately a calorie deficit is what will make you lose weight, ideally you would like to accomplish this by retaining your muscle. Muscle increases resting metabolic rate (although not by much) so if you just do cardio and never feed your muscles you will in turn lose weight but you will be also slowing down your metabolism which will make losing fat and weight slower. The reason why you should intake protein after your workout is because the body begins to burn muscle fibers for energy when large amounts of the stress hormone cortisol are released. So after a tough workout your body, believe or not, wants to burn all the muscle you earned at the gym if you don't get some type of meal in your stomach as soon as possible. That's why a lot of people prescribe protein drinks after workouts. Helps you boost muscle growth, helps you maintain your muscle, keeps you satiated, and steadies your metabolism. If you're tired of eating so much protein, it's okay not to eat so much of it, as long as the bulk of it comes pre/post workout and some before bed time.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I never have a post-strength training protein shake, and am also interested in these responses. I just don't feel like I have the calories to spare. So bumping.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming laps every day after work for about 45 minutes. I've been having a protein smoothie right after my workout, but after realizing the amount of calories I burn working out and the amount of calories on the protein and fruit, it seems kinda unnecessary. I understand I'm breaking down my muscles and they need protein to rebuild, but I eat a decent amount of protein in my diet already.

Thoughts? Should I skip the protein or is it really helping me drop more weight?

The muscle breakdown, if I understand it correctly, is more from weight lifting or HIIT type workouts. Not sure if you need something for it after swimming. I never did at least.

I do try to for lifting though, and find it helps me with soreness afterwards.

EDIT: I should add my position is merely from speculation. I have my workouts arranged such that I eat right after anyway so it never mattered much to me. My 'recovery' protein shake was just what I'd drink with breakfast.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I understand I'm breaking down my muscles and they need protein to rebuild, but I eat a decent amount of protein in my diet already.

You are correct. Assuming your daily protein intake is adequate, there's no need to rush nutrients into your system. I am also assuming that you have relatively normal eating habits and you aren't fasting for 3+ days around your workout.

Supplement companies will have you believe that protein intake is critical within a short time period of your workout, but your regular eating habits will have you covered as nutrients/aminos will still be in your bloodstream from previously eaten meals. If this ISNT the case (fasted training), there's a compensatory response that takes place once food is finally introduced. In short, the meal you eat after your training will cover you.

Ditch the protein shake if you'd rather have the calories for whole foods and assuming you can still reach adequate daily intake.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I do, but that's cause I get hungry. On days I am not very hungry afterwards I don't worry about it
  • uncleqtip
    uncleqtip Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! I appreciate all the opinions.

My protein smoothie after my workout is: (roughly)

-1 cup frozen strawberries
    -1/2 banana
    -cup of skim milk
    -2 packets of Splenda
    -1 scoop of Whey Protein powder
    =330ish calories

I was told by a trainer friend recently that the post-workout protein smoothie I've been having is a good idea, but I should cut the quantity of everything in half, except the protein. If I'm just trying to get protein, the fruits are just an easy way to do it (and tasty!) but too much fruit, when all you're trying to get to your body is the protein, will only hike up the calorie amount. Cutting the fruits and milk in half trims the smoothie to about 200 calories, leaving more for whole foods and such later.

And yes, I'm usually starving after 45 minutes of freestyle lap swimming. So this helps curb those hunger cravings too.