Special K Diet!

Options
I have tried the special k diet before but I gave up I wanted to start it again though, has anyone else tried this? Did it work? Is it healthy?

Replies

• kaydensmom12
    Options
    I did the diet for 2 weeks and it did work, but there wasn't very much variety. I do not think you are supposed to do it any longer anyways because of the high carbs. Now I drink special k protein shakes for lunch and breakfast and lost 35lbs.
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't do the actual diet, but I really love to incorporate their products into my diet. Cracker Chips are my favorite!
  • mhamlin
    mhamlin Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I did the special k diet for 2 months and it worked perfectly for me. However, you have to be able to tolerate the lack of variety. It's the same thing day in and day out. Right now i am following the Anti-Inflammatory Diet. It has more variety and is suppose to be really good for your body. Here is a site where you can check it out if you are interested.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02012/anti-inflammatory-diet
  • Abalicious11
    Options
    Do the protein shakes actually fill you up? I Feel like if i dont eat a substantual amount I'm hungry when I'm actually not. I'm wondering if the shakes would work for me as well i would love to lose 35 lbs!
  • zebedee44
    Options
    I did the special k diet this time last year. Great results to start but did feel quite hungry for a while until I got used to it. Plateaued after a while so moved to 1200 calorie a day counting with much more success.

Good luck if you decide to try it!
  • sydanne33
    Options
    I did the special K challenge, ate cerial/bars for breakfast and lunch and lost around 8 lbs in a month. Once I started eating normal food (eggs for breakfast, a sandwhich or salad at lunch)...that all came back and then some.

The breakfast bars are essentially candy bars and have High Fructose Corn Syrup in them and lots of suger. I would try Luna bars, and stay away from the Special K diet.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    The idea is that you replace a Normal (most likely high calorie) meal with one of their low calorie products. Of course you are going to lose weight if instead of consuming 1600 calories a day with replaced meals you are now consuming 1200.

The reason these do not work (and ANY "meal replacement plans) is because they are not sustainable. Are you going to replace your meals forever? Heck no! And these plans do not teach you healthy alternatives or truly allow you to change your eating habits.

As soon as you complete your "challenge" and you go back to eating higher calorie food you will likely gain whatever losses back. This is just a marketing scheme in my opinion to sell their shakes, bars, cereal, etc.

I promise you whether it's 1200 calories of special k or 1200 of wholesome foods you will lose the same. (and hey it's cheaper too!)
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    Do the protein shakes actually fill you up? I Feel like if i dont eat a substantual amount I'm hungry when I'm actually not. I'm wondering if the shakes would work for me as well i would love to lose 35 lbs!
    The shakes always feel me up! Even if I'm not hungry I eat something with them at lunch like fruit or toast. I eat every 2-3 hours, so I basically snack all day and barely feel hungry. So I'm not replacing my meals, with them I'm just incorporating them into my diet since they are full of nutrients.
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I once got some great advice that I will pass along: be instantly suspicious of any diet plan that is centred around one food or one brand of products. The diet is designed to sell you more of their stuff, period. Whatever benefits you might get from following their diet, you can get from following a diet based around natural, unprocessed foods that has more variety and probably more nutrition.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!