Vegan "Bacon"

Options
Hey All,

First of all, I did NOT come here to start a thread on "Which is better: Eating Meat or Vegetarianism". I think everyone does what works for them, so who I am I to judge? I also know I'm going to get : "If you're going to eat bacon, just eat the real thing." as well. My question's just out of curiousity because I do eat the meatless chicken burgers from the vegan brand Yves, I'm a college student and its a quick supper some nights .. imo better than busting out some KD or something along those lines or ordering a pizza. I've seen the vegan bacon in stores, anyone eat/try it? I'm obviously going to eat regular bacon or turkey bacon as I usually do, but I'm just curious as to what it's like because it seems with vegan products its a hit or miss. Thanks for the opinions. =)

Replies

• violon
    violon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i love the morningstar farms veggie bacon. not sure if it is vegan, though. yum!
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Wondering as well..
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    i love the morningstar farms veggie bacon. not sure if it is vegan, though. yum!

It's not vegan, but I had been vegetarian all my life and ate that a lot it was good! (vegan now)

lightlife, makes really good vegan bacon. Well all their fake meats are good =]

I haven't really had any gross veggie/vegan meat. Unless it's the Boca grillers....bleh.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I am new to not eating meat and just asked my step daughter and her Mom this weekend (her Mom's veggie since 16 and Cecily has never eaten a meat product in her life (She's 21))... they love veggie / vegan bacon. They get it a Wegman's.
  • Slugsasarus
    Slugsasarus Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Morningstar vegan bacon is really good and low in fat/calories!
  • andreacord
    Options

Well, Vegetarian meatless product. My bad. =)
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Morningstar veggie bacon is really good. I served it to some meat eaters and they new it was different but they didn't suspect it was veg. and they really liked it. They were shocked at how good it was actually. I can't remember if it's vegan however. Give it a try. It's easy to cook in the microwave.

Enjoy!
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    If you have access to a dehydrator, there are lots of recipes for eggplant bacon. I can't do soy and a lot of vegan meat replacement foods do a number on my GI tract, so I was intrigued when I heard about eggplant bacon. Apparently raw foodies love it!
    http://thehappyrawkitchen.blogspot.com/2009/09/raw-vegan-bacon.html
  • tracymarie11
    tracymarie11 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about the LightLife 'Smart Bacon'. I am a huge fan of the LightLife 'fakin bacon', which is tempeh (soybeans & rice) with liquid smoke, basically. It doesn't have the same bacon 'crunch' but it's super yummy on its own, and healthier. :)
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have the morningstar veggie bacon in my freezer right now. It’s not really equivalent to bacon. It's more like bacon-ish. I’ve noticed that using fake bacon in recipes is better than just having eggs with a side of it. I usually use the morningstar when I'm making an omelet or something else that has a lot of other ingredients.
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Morning star farms is made with egg whites, so it isn't vegan. It does look like play dough, but it is good. I am a vegetarian and one of the only kinds of meat I ever even liked was very crisp bacon. It makes a really good BLT.
  • SeaSiren1
    SeaSiren1 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    LightLife Smart Bacon rocks! You have to heat it in a pan, so a bit more work but really yummy. It's great for a BLT or breakfast sandwich (I do a wheat bagel thins, sliced tofu, and LightLife bacon)