Arm fat!!!!!

Options
I have a major flappy arm fat problem. No matter what I do, it won't go away. Every time I try weights to tighten it up, it just seems to get worse. Any suggestions??

Replies

• iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    bump....
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I have heavy arms and I have found that as I have lost weight my arms have gotten so much better! Wish I could just take the fat from where I want it off but sadly it comes off where it wants to :laugh:
  • mfair0521
    Options
    Sometimes it's just an issue of skin. If you've lost a lot of weight already, the skin might not be tightening up, and most people need surgery to correct it. It may not be arm fat at all! :)
  • msjamartin
    Options
    Keep doing weights as the muscles will tighten up. The fat, well it will come off when it comes off but you want the muscle underneath firm and lean. I too have what I call "arm flaps". My trainer and I are working hard on the muscles in hopes that the fat and skin will catch up. They are my one area that I hate. From you picture, your arms don't look too bad and should firm up with time.
  • mcanals123
    Options
    bump :)
  • light resistance weights should help tone your arms, a really good exercise to tone arms and tighten is using a heavy rope in various ways, abit hard to explain in words but if you check out youtube there will be lots of demonstrations, I do feel for ladies as a guy losing weight we can just build muscle but I know its not a look the gals like, good luck, im sure youll feel better about it in no time :-)
  • ATSonic
    Options
    What type of weights/exercises are you doing? I have used small (2-5pounds) hand weights and done several different exercises with great success. I stand straight with the weights at my side and lifted them up to form a T. Also I bend at my waist with the weights in each hand and my arms bent to stay next to my body, then lift each arm up and straight back behind me. I know it's hard to describe here, but it worked for me. The older you get you begin to lose the elasticity in your skin, so that might be an issue, although more at my age than yours. Keep trying and good luck!
  • karenann1989
    karenann1989 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem ~ I call them my "Darlene Arms" because I have an aunt who has always had the flappy arms. I started doing some weight training with light weights and resistance bands about a month ago. I try to do it at least 3 times a week and I have already noticed the difference. I think a person just needs to be persistant and not give up. Good Luck ~ YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!
  • vampiregirl97
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!! I will keep trying the 5 lb weights....maybe I'm just not giving it enough time. I think my arms are the part of me that I hate the most. So many of my shirts don't fit right because they are too tight on my arms. I'll stick with it and see how it goes. Thanks :smile:
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    I call mine the "Aunt Bessie Wave" for the same reason...

I have lost my weight and I strength train 2 -3 times a week and my arms look toned. However, there is still a little jiggle in mine. I don't think anyone notices it but me. I used to teach and I hated that when I pointed at the white board I could see the ripple. :smile:
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I found tricep dips to be very effective. I work my triceps almost every day (probably a no-no, but it works for me) doing them on my cedar chest :)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce the fat. You'll just have to work on lowering your overall body fat percentage and the muscles underneath will reveal themselves. I understand the frustration though, my arms are one of the places on my body I have the most struggle with.
  • StacyAS999
    StacyAS999 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    They're called "Bingo Wings" in my house, and they're a source of frustration here, too.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    light resistance weights should help tone your arms, a really good exercise to tone arms and tighten is using a heavy rope in various ways, abit hard to explain in words but if you check out youtube there will be lots of demonstrations, I do feel for ladies as a guy losing weight we can just build muscle but I know its not a look the gals like, good luck, im sure youll feel better about it in no time :-)

The "heavy rope" refferred to - look at "Battle Ropes" on youtube to see what he means - they are a killer - but I love them - one of the most time efficient workouts ever...
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    is 5lbs the heaviest weight you can lift? it might not be enough. keep doing cardio to burn fat and do a variety of arm exercises with the heaviest weight you can lift. doesn't have to be a lot of sets, but it does have to be a challenge for your muscles.