New member who has exercised with Richard Simmons

Options
Hi everyone. I signed up as a member today and already appreciate the site's ability to count calories for me. I'm a 54 year old male and had a mild heart attack (I'm lucky--I know) last November and I have to get some weight off. I've already dropped 44 pounds since Mid-November--but I have reached a plateau and it is hard to get off of it and moving again. I need to lose about 70 more. I hope this site helps in that respect. I "faithfully" work out to Richard Simmons "Sweatin to the Oldies 3" with a group twice a week. By the way, I met the guy when he came to our town this past February for a "heart health" seminar put on by a local hospital. There was around 1000 people in attendance. In fact, the "son of a gun" hugged me--and I have a picture to prove it. Well, it's because my co-workers made a picture of me looking like him with red and white striped shorts, yellow T-shirt and his hairdo--and I took it with me and held it up--and he saw it and came towards me. Oh well--it was all in good fun--and I got to admit--working out with his videos works my tail off and the pounds did come off. Anyway, I'm struggling to get the pounds dropping again and would appreciate hearing from others how to get off this plateau.

Replies

• molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    The site is amazing, and the people here are really great...I adore Richard Simmons, I met him awhile back as well, you can also follow him on Twitter!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. I think you will love this site. I do. This site is so supportive, helpful, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • roadtripfool
    Options
    Oh, by the way, THIS IS MY DAD!!!! And we are goin' to get those next 70 pounds off!!! I am thrilled out of my mind that he knocked off 44 pounds already! 44 POUNDS!!! Seriously, think about that...that is two HUGE bags of dog food from Wal-Mart!!! GONE FOR GOOD!!!

We both signed up for this site today, and I am stoked to watch his progress!!! I personally give you permission to do whatever it takes to kick him in gear!

114 pounds, here we come!
  • hahahollylol
    hahahollylol Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    welcome ericeugene, this site is great! :smile:
  • tdboone
    tdboone Posts: 11
    Options
    I just joined yesterday also and the site is very helpful and everyone else is helpful....Goodluck:smile:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    How cool-- we have a couple of mother/daughter teams here-- don't know of any father/son combos--

Way to go, guys--

Bottom line, accept no excuses-- take charge of your health, take charge of your eating, take charge of your exercise-- this is a great place to help you keep control of your eating, log the food and calories, blah, blah, blah-- plus make some friends who will kick your butt when you need it.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Welcome to MFP pal.

This is a really great place. Take the time to learn about all the features of this site and make use of them. Stay open minded to new ideas. And keep sweatin to those oldies. If you work hard, you will succeed. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • a_new_mii
    a_new_mii Posts: 53
    Options
    My cousin lost a lot of weight with his videos, she got me to try it out with her and I had a blast. I remember laughing so hard I pulled something in my side.
    I'd love to see that picture- you should post it as your avatar!!!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Welcome. How about using the Richard Simmons pic for your AV! :wink:

I love that guy. Dang, he is prob 60 now and still jumping around like a 15 yr old. I have always believed him to be genuine!

Anyway, good luck and welcome to this great site. Slowly but surely I have lost 31 pounds, and 10 years:laugh:

:flowerforyou: J
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    How cool-- we have a couple of mother/daughter teams here-- don't know of any father/son combos--

Way to go, guys--

Bottom line, accept no excuses-- take charge of your health, take charge of your eating, take charge of your exercise-- this is a great place to help you keep control of your eating, log the food and calories, blah, blah, blah-- plus make some friends who will kick your butt when you need it.

Don't forget the new sister/sister duo. :laugh:
  • ericeugene
    ericeugene Posts: 2
    Options
    I took your advice and added the pic of me and Richard Simmons. And yes, he is 60--he told us that at the exercise thingy. I was impressed with his love of people and his concern about their health. He was a great motivator. And the exercising that day was so much fun. We probably went for 45 minutes and I was disappointed when he brought it to a close. I had so much pep--probably exercising on adrenaline.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I took your advice and added the pic of me and Richard Simmons. And yes, he is 60--he told us that at the exercise thingy. I was impressed with his love of people and his concern about their health. He was a great motivator. And the exercising that day was so much fun. We probably went for 45 minutes and I was disappointed when he brought it to a close. I had so much pep--probably exercising on adrenaline.

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing. I will be so happy to see your weight loss success!

I know you can do it!!:flowerforyou:
  • Marla64
    Options
    Welcome. How about using the Richard Simmons pic for your AV! :wink:

I love that guy. Dang, he is prob 60 now and still jumping around like a 15 yr old. I have always believed him to be genuine!

Anyway, good luck and welcome to this great site. Slowly but surely I have lost 31 pounds, and 10 years:laugh:

:flowerforyou: J

I remember him leading the aerobics class in Luke's Disco on General Hospital--

A lifetime ago-- sheesh. :grumble:
  • Marla64
    Options

Way to go, guys--

Don't forget the new sister/sister duo. :laugh:

Yes, I hear she adores you-- ha!
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Welcome gentlemen! Father/son combo...that is awesome! :happy:

I've been here for about 6 weeks and can honestly say, this forum is changing my life. I have never found such a wonderful group of people so willing to help strangers and share their knowledge and experience! It is truly amazing!

Good luck to you both!

Oh, and how can you not love Richard?!?! :love: He has such a huge heart and truly cares about others!

Becky