Insanity vs. P90X

Options
Has anyone done both of these programs? How do they measure up in terms of wieght lost? I am thinking of doing P90X.

Replies

• michcruz
    michcruz Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have done both programs. I did Insanity first. I dropped about 20 lbs doing Insanity. I found that I was getting more agile and stronger and I definitely saw changes in my body within the first couple of weeks. I followed it with P90x. I found that P90x was not as high in intensity, but still was a great work out. I toned up more with P90x though. Good luck!
  • spartacus69
    Options
    Very different workouts.

I view P90X as general fitness conditioning (strength training and modest cardio) while I found Insanity to be more high-intensity cardio. P90X's plyometrics is probably the closest to an Insanity style workout.

Either one will have you burning fat - IF you get your nutrition right.

Personally I prefer the P90X style; Insanity felt like doing aerobics while drinking Red Bull. ;-)
  • FitqueenT
    FitqueenT Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've done both.
    If you want to lose weight, I'd recommend Insanity. P90x to me is more for toning while insanity focus mostly on Cardio. If I were to pick between the two, I'd go with p90X.
  • Thefitnessvixen
    Options
    I've done both.
    I agree with the above post,INSANITY is more Cardio,and P90X was more about toning.I did like INSANITY more.I thought that P90X was boring!. I lost a TON of Inches with INSANITY.Good luck
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have completed one round of P90X and absolutely loved the results... I felt strong, toned and healthy. I could lift double the weight I could to begin with and could genuinley see the progress I was making week by week. I didn't lose much weight (around 2/3kgs) but looked much better!! On the downside, you need a lot of free time to commit to the program - and I did find it a struggle to fit into my lifestyle.

I have just started Insanity... six days down!!

It's very very different from P90X...wow, I used to moan that P90X was difficult? I actually feel like I am going to die most of the time during Insanity! haha. But I wanted a new challenge and it is a really great workout. There is no hiding from it - you will not work so hard doing anything else! Can't comment on the results yet as I'm only a week into it but I am pretty confident it must result in some major weight loss (if I don't have a rock hard body by the end of this I will not be impressed!!) haha.

So far, if I had to pick one - I would say P90X - but if you can afford both/are interested in both - then why not try a hybrid? I think that is what I am going to try after Insanity...as I miss P90X, but do like the kick of the intense cardio.

Good luck whatever you decide!!
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I've done both as well, and liked Insanity more than P90X. I think my main reason was that you didn't need any equipment, just your DVD player and running shoes. I found Shaun T. to be extremely motivating (and much better looking) than Tony. I saw major results with Insanity, but it was far from easy :) Good luck!
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Please read this knowledgeable review comparing the two (and one more... which I actually like the best out of them):
    http://www.acefitness.org/certifiednewsarticle/1443/p90x-insanity-and-rushfit-a-side-by-side/?utm_source=Certified+News&utm_medium=email&utm_term=May+2011&utm_campaign=Certified+News&CMP=EMC-CertifiedNews_0511

Seriously though... I love Rushfit. Message me if you have any questions.
  • coreykantola
    Options
    I have done both P90x, Insanity and Asylum. I find P90x to be more muscle building, insanity is more to get the long lean toned look. I have finished asylum and it it more for atheletes( very physicaly demanding).
    Start with insanity i found it to be more fun and motivating. P90x if you cant do 100 pull ups and 100 push ups the first month gets to be a downer.
    Try them all! you wont be disapointed! They are both excellent.
  • madoosa
    Options
    If you have bad knees stay away from insanity and p90x plyo. You definitely have to have your mind in the right place to do insanity. Either way they are both great programs and i highly recommend them both :) depending on your goal.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    P90X - Strength, body fat loss, muscle grow.

Insanity - Endurance, stamina, cardiovascular, body fat loss.

Everyone has different opinions and experiences with both programs, this is my own.

P90X is an extreme workout no matter what anyone says, and if someone says they don't feel like they workout hard enough, it only means they're either not using enough weights, doing enough reps or not pushing hard enough. I've done P90X twice in a period of 2 years, and I just started a 3rd round (to get ready for P90X:2) two weeks ago, and I always push myself so hard I feel lightheaded and about to puke, specially with strength workouts like Chest and Back. My first round I focused on body fat more than muscle, so I lost 30 lbs in 90 days while I still gained some muscle. My second round was more about muscle than body fat. This round I'm focusing on body fat again.

Insanity is also extreme, but it is more cardiovascular oriented, which targets more body fat than muscle. I'm currently working out twice a day, P90X in the morning and some specific Insanity workouts at night. The reason why is because Insanity is helping me not to run out of breath with P90X while also speeding up burning fat.

I used to be a BeachBody Independent Coach, and this is something we (me and other coaches) agreed on, you can even lose muscle mass with Insanity, no matter what diet you do, because it lacks the strength side of the workouts. Because of all the feedback and reviews done by a lot of coaches and non-coaches, Insanity Asylum was done covering both Cardiovascular training as well as Strengthening training.

Depending on your goals, free time and commitment to both workouts and meals, is what will help you decide which workout to use.

I hope I could help.
  • MrMVP2011
    Options
    I've done both and I did P90x first then Insanity. I love both programs I'm now doing the hybrid for both. P90x is definitely all about muscle, strength as Insanity is about endurance and body fat loss. I'm on day four of the hybrid. I went from 276 when I started my P90x and I'm now 228.3. Only been a short few months. :) Good luck!
  • travisjeffcox
    Options
    thanks for all the responses. that was a big help. think i am going to give insanity a try and then follow up with P90X. I got the feeling that some type of mixture of both of them will be my best bet long term. Thanks again.
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've done both.

Insanity is crazy cardio & was great for me to start losing. P90X (if you don't do the lean program) can help you build up your muscles and tone.
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have done both: with P90X i lost 10.5 inches and 2 pounds the first time through, Insaity about 30 pounds the first time through, n ow I am doing both together which I like the best so far

I would say if you have weight to lose go through insanity first then add in P90X if you just nee dot tone up go striaght to a combo program or P90X I also have hated the P90X cardio I find it boring that is my problem using it alone
  • Richdogg38
    Options
    Please read this knowledgeable review comparing the two (and one more... which I actually like the best out of them):
    http://www.acefitness.org/certifiednewsarticle/1443/p90x-insanity-and-rushfit-a-side-by-side/?utm_source=Certified+News&utm_medium=email&utm_term=May+2011&utm_campaign=Certified+News&CMP=EMC-CertifiedNews_0511

Seriously though... I love Rushfit. Message me if you have any questions.
    Great read! Thanks for posting!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I've done both.

Insanity is crazy cardio & was great for me to start losing. P90X (if you don't do the lean program) can help you build up your muscles and tone.

That's how I did it...Insanity to start the weight loss and P90X to help build more muscle. And once I finish, I'm moving on to more lifting, less cardio.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I have both. I think Insanity is better for losing weight since it focuses on cardio. P90x is more of a well rounded program that will give a little cardio and a lot of strength (if you have/use the right equipment!).

I like to mix up my exercise so I don't stick with either program 100% of the time. I get really bored of hearing Tony and Shaun T all the time.
  • Loveebbs
    Loveebbs Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm actually doing the hybrid schedule of both programs right now but I will say that if you are looking to lose weight, I would go for Insanity. Not saying you won't lose weight doing P90X but I think Insanity will give you faster results.
  • DawnDawn2011
    Options
    P90X also has a "lean" option, and there is more cardio. I did my first two weeks of P90X, it was a lot of weights and toning, then I discovered the lean option and switched, it is better suited to what I am trying to accomplish. : )
  • inge88
    inge88 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same question. Great to read so many responses.
    I am almost at goal weight and looking to tone up (doing 30 day shred at the moment) so think I will be doing P90X next. But what kind of equipment do you need?