Another Annoying Protein Question

Options
Instead of searching through a million threads trying to get an answer to every question, I'm just going to make another one. I'm sorry for being "that guy".

I need to get protein powder A. because I Won't have time/resources to be eating actual meals throughout the day with my school and work schedule, and I really want to tone up and keep my muscles strong.... I starting doing weights more regularly and while I don't want to look like a man, I would like that have that nice muscle tone. From what I've read, the increase in protein will help burn more fat, which is also a goal of mine. and finally, most importantly C. I'm asking because I don't want to end up with something that tastes like total ****.

HELP!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Instead of searching through a million threads trying to get an answer to every question, I'm just going to make another one. I'm sorry for being "that guy".

I need to get protein powder A. because I Won't have time/resources to be eating actual meals throughout the day with my school and work schedule, and I really want to tone up and keep my muscles strong.... I starting doing weights more regularly and while I don't want to look like a man, I would like that have that nice muscle tone. From what I've read, the increase in protein will help burn more fat, which is also a goal of mine. and finally, most importantly C. I'm asking because I don't want to end up with something that tastes like total ****.

HELP!

Did you actually ask a question there?

Assuming you are looking for a good tasting one, I'm enjoying Optimum Nutrition. Acg will have his top 10 list for you if he sees this thread. =)

Also, the protein shake by itself will not increase fat oxidation.
  • safetypins
    Options

Did you actually ask a question there?

Assuming you are looking for a good tasting one, I'm enjoying Optimum Nutrition. Acg will have his top 10 list for you if he sees this thread. =)

Also, the protein shake by itself will not increase fat oxidation.

I meant to ask one..... I guess I forgot to. BAH.

I know that it won't alone, I don't anticipate drinking hella protein and waking up skinny... hahahaha.

What WILL it do exactly? Or is that a stupid question. Thanks for the suggestion though!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Honestly this is a very personal thing. I'm EXTREMELY limited on these because they all have Gluten in them and I cannot eat Gluten. So as far as I can tell for the $$ for me I like Muscle Milk Light. I get the powder and sometimes the pre-made. Ask at your local GNC or other store like that what their policy is about returns. A lot of them will let you return it if you hate it. They will also know if the powder form tastes like the pre-made ones. In my case it's the same (or so he told me) and I don't taste any difference when I use the powder.

I would also Google online for free samples and try some out. I just did a search and a ton of stuff came up!

Best of luck
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    It is not much different than consuming protein from another source. It contributes to your overall protein intake.

If your diet is deficient in protein then it will be a good thing to have.

Whey protein is convenient, it is very bioavailable when compared to other protein sources (a high % of the protein is utilized), and despite the cost per tub, when you compare grams of protein to cost, it's pretty reasonable.

But having said all that, it's just protein. If you can get adequate intake from whole foods, you really don't need to supplement.
  • rockrosie
    rockrosie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have Cytosport in chocolate and I think it's disgusting. I'm about half way through the enormous container (Costco!) and I may toss it because it's so gross. Do not recommend.
  • monettejb
    monettejb Posts: 19 Member
    Options

HELP!

Heres something a lot of people dont look at CHOLESTEROL!!! Most protiens will have tons of it in it. you'll want to find one that doesn't. If you have a vitaman shoppe nearby try "body tech pro isolate" this is a blend of protein and will satisfy longer than traditional whey protein. If you can handle texture, get "body tech casein protein" this is a great night time protein and will fill you up. I peronally like to use a blender because if you use a shaker cup a clump can ruin it for you. I used low fat milk 8oz, half a bananna and peanut butter with one scoop of protein powder. Good for about 35 grams of protein total. Anyway make sure you get a protein that is low in cholesterol...some of them have ridiculous amounts in them. I like chocolate proteins but the upside to vanilla is you can add flavors like syrups or even "sugar free kool aid"(not a large amount, like a teaspoon.)
    later
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Better for you to require one that's clean, no bad metals and junk in it than good tasting. I find both in EnergyFirst ProFirst protein powder. It's not cheap but it's from grass fed cows, healthy animals and the metal content is low. Also, in my opinion, it tastes good. There may be better tasting options. But you can make most any protein drink taste decent. Add a bit of sugarless jello pudding and a banana.
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Protein should not be used simply becasue you won't make time for actual food. It is a supplement to a normal diet, not a replacement for actual food.Taste is also subjective, so just because some random person on a message borad likes it, it doesn't mean you will.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    DON'T get the Vanilla Body Fortress. It's inexpensive, but tastes totally foul. I can barely choke it down.

I went to a local natural/healthy food store and they have little single-serve packets that would be awesome if you want to try different brands. I'm assuming vitamin/health food shops around you might have the same. A good way to taste different powders without buying a $40 container of it.
  • KarateGoddess
    KarateGoddess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    So really you're looking for a meal replacement shake since you wont be eating regular meals due to your schedule? I used to use EAS Myoplex shakes and they tasted really good - to me anyway. I'm pretty sure you can buy an individual packet to try it out. No magic fat burning supplement though - they're kind of useless and temporary anyway. Just maintain a good diet and keep fit and you will succeed. Good luck!
  • safetypins
    Options
    Protein should not be used simply becasue you won't make time for actual food. It is a supplement to a normal diet, not a replacement for actual food.Taste is also subjective, so just because some random person on a message borad likes it, it doesn't mean you will.

Thanks?
  • safetypins
    Options
    DON'T get the Vanilla Body Fortress. It's inexpensive, but tastes totally foul. I can barely choke it down.

I went to a local natural/healthy food store and they have little single-serve packets that would be awesome if you want to try different brands. I'm assuming vitamin/health food shops around you might have the same. A good way to taste different powders without buying a $40 container of it.

I noticed that some stores do sell the individual packets. This is a good idea... I'll go rifle through the trader joe's isles or something.

I do want them for meal replacements and supplements. When I'm in school, I don't always get enough time to eat a substantial amount of protein/ anything.

This info is helpful! thanks guys!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I've used / tried several different proteins. Taste is important and if my wife likes it, then I know it's got a good taste (simply because I like practically everything).

If you make a purchase on www.bodybuilding.com, also add a free sample of Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion to your cart. To me, it's slightly better tasting than Optimum Nutrition. Individual packets you might find at traditional brick / mortar stores are going to much more expensive by volume than buying a 2 or 5lb jug online. Just something to consider.

In order of cost of a 5lb jug (most to least) my favorites are

Trutein by Trunutrition (all-around great) 0.85 / serving
    Myofusion 0.79 / serving
    Optimum Nutrition 0.69/ serving