HELP! Please.

Options
I'm in a little bit of a panic and I just need someone to talk me through this...

I have plateaued on my weight loss and I was told to start zig zagging my calories. So, I went from 1200 calories per day to 1500 calories per day. Well the scale is still not moving and I know that I am not slacking on the workouts.

I went to an online zig zag calculator and it said that I should be taking atleast 1800 calories per day and zig zag above 2000. These calories seem outrageous to me considering I am completely comfortable at 1200/day.

My question is, have I done damage to my body being so low on my calorie count? And if I do bump my calories to the recommended 1800 cal/day is my body going to start holding on to every little piece of fat I take in? OR am I safe to be at 1200 cal? Gosh, I'm so confused!!

Or maybe I'm just being impatient...

Replies

• japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go that high on the calories! I would look at changing what you're eating and try exercising less (yes I know...eat more/different and exercise less sounds crazy). It worked for me. I added more protein, kicked in a few more carbs (I'm carb phobic so a slice of bread is a big thing for me) and exercised less to breakthough panteaus in the past. It has worked within a week or two. Hang tough! You don't want to stray off course too far.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have "damaged" your body per se....but your chronic low calorie diet has probably slowed down your metabolism and caused you to lose some of your muscle mass. The less muscle mass you have, the less calories you burn. The longer you do 1200 calories the more your body tends to think it's in a time of famine (or "starvation mode"), and will hold on to everything it can. Also, if you're doing the same thing for exercise, your body is gong to become very efficient at doing that and you are going to burn less calories doing the same exercise. So--everything has slowed down for you, stalling the weight loss.

There are several different approaches...personally I would eat at maintenance for a few days. Then go down to maybe 1400 or 1500 calories. You can't go any lower than 1200...so at this point you're going to have to go up. I've seen a lot of people say that they started to lose again when they increased their calories. Don't be afraid. :) Also, change up your workouts. I definitely recommend adding strength training in place of steady state cardio a couple days a week.

(**psst....this is going to happen to your man too if he doesn't up his calories to more than 1200....):wink:
  • lilithe1
    lilithe1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's pretty frustrating. I've been there (heck, I think we all have at some time or another). How long has this plateau lasted?

My take is, if you are comfy at 1200, then 2000 is way high. Zig zag is sooo loosely defined that you could really do anything. I usually zig low for two days, then have one high day, then go low again. But also, remember that our bodies are kind of in a state of confusion when we lose weight for the first time in a long time. It's used to having a certain amount of weight, and it might be that you just need to let it stabilize for a week or two to get used to your current weight. I know that's not what you want to hear.

One thing... how are your sodium levels? Sometimes you're losing fat and not seeing it because of water weight. And for your workouts, if you're not slacking, you might just be in a process of building muscle right now that would offset your fat loss and make your scale look the same.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I scoured the discussion boards for plateaus (sp?) and was told that a true plateau is if you are at the same weight for 6 weeks with no movement. I was also told to zigzag my calories but have only been trying it for a week and I've been doing the 1300 for a week and then this week going up to 1400-1500. I am also incorporating more strength training. I'm cursious to see what kind of responses you get.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I have plateaued on my weight loss

How long have you been at the same weight and has it been a complete stall out or has your loss just slowed down?
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Don't just zig zag the calories. Change the foods. Change the eating times. Change the workout times and the exercises themselves. Change everything. Our bodies are amazing stabilizing machines... if you get into a routine with anything your body will adjust to it very precisely.
  • Slugsasarus
    Slugsasarus Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Maybe zig zag your work outs? Try some new stuff, you're body is probably just getting used to your work outs. Maybe zig zag some food choices too? I know I have my favorite foods that I know are healthy and easy, but you need to change it up every once in a while. Look up some superfoods and try some recipes with the ones you don't normally eat.

I think your calorie consumption is fine. Maybe look at your sodium too? Sodium tends to hold on to weight.
  • cschwall
    cschwall Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am having the same exact problem. I was losing alot and then all of a sudden it has stopped for going on 3 weeks! So frustrating! I am at 1300 cals. and have difficulty eating those! I guess my body is going into starvation mode which is hard to believe. This is very helpful! Thanks!
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    maybe do some strength training or change up your workouts? Be patient!
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing higher calories? It looks like in your diary that you just started about a week ago. I've heard it can take a couple weeks to start losing again when you increase your calorie count. Maybe it's just a matter of time and not that you're doing anything wrong!
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i would suggest you stop stressing about movement on the scale. weight means nothing, its not an indication of your health, beauty or how you feel. focus on the fact that you are eating well and keeping active. you can play around with your food intake, types of foods and amounts and also switch up your activity, try something new.

you really should not put so much value in the numbers on the scale and the 'plateau' you currently are in because when it comes to your health, weight is not a great indicator.
  • megaron01
    megaron01 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think you gotta give it more time............our bodies lose a lot of weight at the the beginning of the diet but there will be slow patches along the way...........besides, hitting a plateau is wayyyy better than gaining weight.............
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing higher calories? It looks like in your diary that you just started about a week ago. I've heard it can take a couple weeks to start losing again when you increase your calorie count. Maybe it's just a matter of time and not that you're doing anything wrong!

This ^^^
    Sometimes it can take more than a couple weeks. And if you've done anything else different like increase/change your exercise routine, that will also impact your weight. So, yeah, you're definitely being impatient.

If you're having a hard time increasing your calories, try eating more calorie dense foods like nuts, seeds, nut/seed butters, lean proteins, beans, etc. You can google for more ideas.
  • lucylu70
    Options
    I wish there was more for me to add, but everyone was giving good advice. I just wanted to tell you that I know you can beat this. You are a very motivating person and I am sad that you are bummed out. If it wouldn't upset you, I would like to say a prayer for you and I hope for all the best.
  • alofay
    alofay Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have plateaued on my weight loss

How long have you been at the same weight and has it been a complete stall out or has your loss just slowed down?

December 31st was the last time I lost anything and I have actually gained two pounds since then. I do take in a lot of sodium during the day... Once the new year started I was hitting the exercise hard and just started weight training.
  • rockstargal629
    Options
    I recently experienced something similar. I lost about 40lbs over the course of 6 months, then started training for a half marathon 4 weeks ago and upped my calorie intake to 1200-1400 calories per day. But as I suspected, I really stalled on the weight loss. I had been working out sporadically before but nothing as intense as what I'm doing now. I just started losing again this last week. I think you have to give it time and definitely vary your workouts and rest days.

Initially I was working out 6 days a week for 45 min to an hour. I was definitely over training so I scaled back to running 4 days a week and strength training 2 days a week. Now that the muscle building process has slowed I've begun seeing the weight loss. I think the rest days are important, as is timing your meals and varying the type, length and intensity of your work outs.

But most of all, be patient! I've stalled for weeks at a time as well, eventually with enough trial and error you'll fall into a new routine and start losing again! Good luck!