Avocado question!

Options
I loves me some avocado!! While this delightful green fruit is super healthy, it's also super high in calories, AND it goes a nasty brown colour really quickly after being opened... So I don't eat an entire avocado at one meal because of all the calories, but I don't know how to store the unused portions without it turning nasty. Does anybody have tips to prevent the avocado from turning brown?

Replies

• SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    take out the flesh mash it up and put the pit back in there...that will help it from going brown..also lemon juice will do the trick.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Lime juice helps. Usually just the surface area turns brown unless you store it too long. I just scrap off the brown and it's good to go.
  • shadow997
    shadow997 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    try a little lemon juice and vaccum pack, other than that invite a freind and share
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Eat the pitted side first. Wrap the other half, with the pit in, tightly in saran wrap and store in the refrigetator, you can also squeeze a little lemon or lime on it. I can store mine for about 2 days like this, I'll usually get a little browning on the top but I can just srape it off! Hope this helps :)
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Meh, just eat the brown... it's only oxidized. It's still good. Now if it's black and smells then don't eat it. Use a little lime or lemon juice to prevent the browning of the extra avocado!
  • mcbrika
    mcbrika Posts: 12
    Options
    I just made some homemade guac that I use in wraps. So I mix the avacado with lemon juice and garlic salt and keep in a container so that helps it stay better in the fridge. You can also mix a tbsp into a taco salad or other salad.
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Cover the exposed flesh with plastic wrap to slow oxidation.
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine posted a couple days ago that if you spray it with cooking spray and put plastic wrap over it it won't turn. Haven't tried it, but she swears by it! Good luck, I love them too!
  • KrimsonFury1
    KrimsonFury1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Leave the pit in the half that you eat last. It slows down the oxidation porcess without altering the flavor like lemon juice does...
  • mckmom69
    Options
    Mash it up and then put it in a bowl. Then use saran wrap. The trick is to push down the saran wrap with your fingers so it is inverted in the bowl directly covering all of the avacado. That keeps it air tight and will stay green in the fridge for days.
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I believe that some stores have an avocado storage container... I know there are storage containers for onions, tomatos and garlic.
  • Sporty98
    Sporty98 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I store the half that I don't eat in an air tight rubbermaid or tupperware container......It will keep for a couple of days without getting too brown. If you eat it within 24 hours, it shouldn't brown at all. AND, don't feel guilty about the calories! They are pure nutrition!!!!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Try cutting it with a ceramic knife instead of metal.
  • Auspiciousgirl
    Options
    Wow, thanks a bunch for all the great suggestions!! :)
  • Auspiciousgirl
    Options
    Try cutting it with a ceramic knife instead of metal.

Really?! Do you know why that would make a difference?
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Store it in a tupperware with a sliced onion.
  • JMFresh
    JMFresh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I cut it in half, leave the pit in, squirt lemon juice on it, wrap it in saran wrap, and call it a day. I've stored it like that for a couple days and though the top turns brown, I still eat it. It doesn't turn brown because it's "bad" it turns brown because it's exposed to air. The acidity in lemon juice usually will prevent or slow down the browning.
  • Prettyinpaisley
    Prettyinpaisley Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I had the same conundrum this morning... instead of trying to save the other half, I just ate it. It was delicious and totally worth it.

I rationalized it in my head by saying calories/fats in an avocado are better for you than a lot of alternatives.