Antidepressants and weight

Options
Hi everyone,

I wonder about the impact that the antidepressant and anti-anxiety medications I take have on my weight. I have been thinking about this ever since I started taking them.

I am on citalopram and wellbutrin xl. The research I have done indicates that these medications cause weight fluctuations but I haven't gotten a straight answer out of my doctor.

The problem is, I went off to college a month or two after I started taking the medications, so I really don't know if I just gained the weight because of the college lifestyle, because of the medications, or both. Before college, I was always a grazer - I ate small amounts of food about every hour or two. Once I went to school, however, I could only squeeze in lunch and dinner and I ate a lot to compensate for my inability to graze throughout the day.

Anyways, now I am out of college and it will be interesting to see if the weight comes off due to the lifestyle change. I tried coming off the antidepressants before in the hope that I would lose the weight, but nothing happened and I was an emotional wreck.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? Any input appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    An antidepressant usually does not account for large weight gains....maybe a few pounds, but usually not significant weight. I was put on lexapro and have not gained from it, but I continue to watch what I eat closely and exercise. And exercise does wonders for depression and anxiety!
  • Hyperspace
    Options
    I'm on the same two meds and have been for several years.
    I have not noticed that they affect my weight directly. However, they make me happier with myself so I tend to allow myself to gain weight instead of taking it off immediately when the first 3 or 4 pounds go on. I need to be somewhat disgusted with myself in order to get motivated to lose weight.
  • SLT4273
    SLT4273 Posts: 56
    Options
    I am currently on a moderate dose of a common antidepressant myself... initially it did affect my appetite but not anymore. It has not hindered my weight loss (so far). I've been counting calories for about 2.5 weeks and have lost about 6 pounds. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
  • lauramonster
    Options
    I've been on a lot of different antidepressants over the years, and I've never noticed any affect on my weight.
  • gsarro
    gsarro Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am on the two you listed and I did notice a slight weight gain, but they make me feel good so I have to accept the consequences. My doctor said most will give you weight gain.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Many anti-depressants are associated with weight gain, and in many cases not just small "fluctuations," significant weight gain, but this is not consistent across all drugs. I recommend that you look at the patient information, and possibly even the prescribing information which can often be found online. The prescribing information (which is intended for doctors) should include whether or not there were statistically significant weight gains between patients receiving the drug and those receiving a placebo, and how much weight was gained on average.

If you're already on the drugs, it's something of a moot point, either way, if you want to lose the weight, you have to do the same thing. It is possible to lose weight on anti-depressants, even if they did initially cause weight gain. I lost 100 pounds on Wellbutrin. For about a third of that I was on Effexor as well. And I've maintained across a variety of drugs, including several known to cause weight gain--it wasn't easy, but it is possible.
  • Brandylambert
    Options
    I am also on meds I do know that citalopram does cause weight gain, when I was on it I gained 4 Ibs a week. I took myself off of it. My Aunt is on Welburton and she has lost.
  • KDWS
    KDWS Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have been on several including wellbutrin...I found that I did gain weight on wellbutrin..a couple of pounds they crpet on over a period of about three weeks......but on LEXIPRO OMG! I was constantly hungry could not stop eating gained about 18 pounds in two or three weeks...weaned myself off and went back to prozac!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I've been on a lot of different antidepressants over the years, and I've never noticed any affect on my weight.

You are lucky then, I gained about 50 pounds in under a year on one combination of meds. My doctor told me (not in a mean way) that I was lucky that was all that I gained. If you read the prescribing information for a log of anti-depressants, they are associated with weight gain.
  • 1Kaysie
    Options
    I have been on Wellbutrin XL for years I personally had big weight gain. I also have in conjunction with depression the failure of my thyroid. It isn't quite broken but getting there. This resulted in slow metabilism and water gain. I also have trouble eating enough calories. I hope you have better luck than I have. My daughter said I will need to regulate my sleep better and I will be fine. Have a blessed New Year. Good luck.
  • KDWS
    KDWS Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I wold also respectfully disagree that if you are on the drugs it is a moot point...My doctor suggested Lexipro and while it did help my mood swings I could not stay on that drug and be constantly hungry! So I switched...if you feel this way then consult with your dr. there are several antidepressant drugs available and you an find one that works for you without signifigant weight gain!
  • HBBrown78
    HBBrown78 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am currently trying to loose 50lbs that I gained because of a anti-anxiaty rx that I was told did not cause weight gain. After gaining and gaining no matter what I did I finaly went to a new Dr who informed me that ALL meds in this line can cause weight gain and are more likley to then not. Now some people do not have this effect- it is how your body reacts. I was working out 6 days a week and did not have a change in my diet yet I gained 50lbs. I am on a new med and have to be very careful so that we can fix the effects this med has had on my body, however I have been informed that it may not change. I have to take meds for my anxiaty or I will have painful axiaty attacks at random so not having them is not an option. I would see another Dr and keep you food journal up-to-date.
  • CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I was on citalopram when i first started on anti depressants, and now i'm on fluoxetine because the citalopram was making me tired all the time. I'm a stress eater, so depression itself was making me gain wait, so for me it wasn't an issue if it made me gain weight because without it i was gaining weight, too.

that being said, from person experience i can tell you that even 20 minutes a day doing some kind of cardio helps an amazing amount with depression. i know how hard it is to get up and go to the gym when you're struggling with the gym, but if you can work it into a routine it could help a lot, it did for me.
  • rainedragon
    rainedragon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was on Lexapro and gained weight until the doctor added wellbutrin, which decimated my apatite. When we stopped the Lexapro and I just took the wellbutrin, I (unintentionally) dropped down to eating about 300-750 calories a day and lost 30lbs (I was 5'3" / 160lbs at the time) in a month and a half. (NOT recommending this! it's NOT a safe amount of weight to loose in that time period!)

so... I wouldn't say that wellbutrin causes you to gain weight, quite the opposite. It was extremely unpleasant taking it alone, I was constantly nauseous and my hair started falling out from eating too little. It was perfectly fine when paired with the lexapro, but alone... not at all.

Lexapro did cause me to put on about 25lbs when I was taking it alone over the course of about 6 months.

I'm not taking anything now, and my weight is stable at what it was before I started the treatment.
  • autumn_mix
    autumn_mix Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Small world, I have major depressive disorder and was also on low doses of Citalopram and Welbutrin. I am no longer taking them, because I felt like I was at a point where I could stop taking them and be mentally alright, but it took me years to get to that point.

The Wellbutrin really decreased my appetite at first, and the Citalopram was added later to help curb compulsive eating. From my research, Wellbutrin often causes weight loss due to decreases in appetite, but most SSRI's, including Citalopram have inconclusive results about weight fluctuations, but often you will hear about people gaining weight on SSRI's. I had always assumed that a lot of the reported weight gain among people on SSRI's was due to untreated aspects of the depression, such as fatigue, loss of interest, inability to exercise or cook. I assumed that if I added an SSRI, and if it was enough to combat those aspects and I could keep my head above water, I would still be able to lose weight.

I can only speak for my own experience, but once I added the Citalopram to the Wellbutrin, I absolutely could not lose weight, no matter how closely I watched my caloric intake or how hard I worked at the gym (I eat a low-fat calorie-controlled diet, always eat at least 1200 calories, and I am currently training for a marathon). After a particularly hard training week, I had a 7,000+ calorie deficit based entirely on exercise (I was not starving myself or anything), which should have been enough to lose around 2lbs. I gained two pounds instead. I did my diet and training plan while on Citalopram/Wellbutrin for three months, and was only able to maintain my starting weight. As much as even I didn't want to believe it, some of those medications really can mess with your metabolism and your ability to lose weight.

Your best bet is to set up a healthy, realistic eating plan, combine it with an exercise level you can sustain over time, and just really focus on that plan for a while. Give it at least a month or six weeks, don't give up too early. Just because I wasn't able to lose weight on Citalopram/Wellbutrin doesn't mean you will have the same result. I have a close friend who was able to lose weight on SSRI's without any issues.

On a side note, I know that exercise can do wonders to help combat depression, and now that I am no longer taking antidepressants I am using exercise to help keep myself mentally balanced. If you ever find yourself in a place when you think you can stop taking your medications, exercise will be even more imperative. Keeps the happy vibes flowing. =)

Best of luck to you!
  • Opheliac_Xx
    Opheliac_Xx Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if my medication affects weight gain OR appetite, or both, but I do find that after taking it I am DESPERATE for food, especially carbs... This has been a noted side effect, it's a bit annoying because it means I have to control myself even more to not give in.

It seems most anti-D's have a weight gain side effect unfortunately, weather it's increasing appetite or causing the body to hang on to food for some reason.
  • backtofront
    Options
    I have been doing GREAT on the Myfitnesspal plan thanks to an awesome coworker. Stumbled across this thread , and coincidentally am going to see a "master of the horizontal interview" today and am kind of worried about undoing all the great things that have been going on with mfp.....this appointment has been years in the waiting and I will go and ask the doctor directly about weight gain and report back. I am sure i will get the pat "it's different for everyone" speech.
  • backtofront
    Options
    I have been doing GREAT on the Myfitnesspal plan thanks to an awesome coworker. Stumbled across this thread , and coincidentally am going to see a "master of the horizontal interview" today and am kind of worried about undoing all the great things that have been going on with mfp.....this appointment has been years in the waiting and I will go and ask the doctor directly about weight gain and report back. I am sure i will get the pat "it's different for everyone" speech.
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your helpful insights.

I agree with everyone here who believes this is *not* a moot point, considering the medication may be causing me to hold on to the weight and/or eat too much while a different medication may not..

A little bit more about my history with SSRIs: I originally just started out on citalopram and gained 40 pounds over about 6 months. I have horrible stretch marks and had to get a whole new wardrobe. Then I switched to lexapro which didn't change anything but was way more expensive, so now I'm on the combination of wellbutrin and citalopram. The combination I'm on right now seems to be working well in terms of mental health, but I do still wonder how it's affecting my metabolism. If I honsetly felt that I could live without the meds I would get off them right away, but I am going through another huge transition in my life (going to grad school soon) so I don't think now is a good time to experiment with that.

It's encouraging to see that although SSRIs may cause weight gain, it doesn't seem to prevent people from losing it :)
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    When I stopped taking Prozac (I was on it from age 9 to 18) I lost 35 pounds. I went without medications for a few years and maintained that for the most part. I gained a little back from not eating healthy. Now I take citalopram and have been on it for 2 years I think. It does not affect my weight at all that I have noticed.