Losing my hair?????

Options
Ok so for the last 2 or so years I've had this problem... everytime I shower and brush my hair like a crap ton of hair comes out.. I know it's natural to lose hair but I seriously can't wash my hair without pulling out at least a handful everytime... this is concerning...

besides stress what could be the other cause? Does anyone else have this problem? I take a prenatal vitamin every morning.

I don't use flat irons or even blow dry my hair.. and I regularly get a trim..

Replies

• BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too.

:tongue:
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I employed Google to find the following...

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/features/women-hair-loss-causes
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hair-loss/DS00278/DSECTION=causes

Hope it helps. I know that hair loss can be pretty upsetting, especially for a lady. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • farfalledibaciodinotte
    Options
    I have this problem too.

:tongue:

ahahaaa good to know
  • farfalledibaciodinotte
    Options
    like I'm not balding hahaa but it's pretty annoying.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of hormonal issues going on that are still being ironed out but I have been losing my hair really badly since August. My testosterone is high. I would definitely go to a doctor and explain what's going on, show them and get your hormones checked out.

It could also be from the normal cycle of hair. I think it's roughly every 3 years that we shed certain hairs that are in their final phase (hair grows in different stages) and when lots have reached this last stage they can fall out and seem like a lot of hair is falling out at once.

But like you said, my hair has done the same thing for months -- handfuls in the shower every day. I am going bald at 25 due to hormonal imbalance. It's very depressing and if that's the case for you then please go before it gets worse <33 I feel for you.

Nichele
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Could be many things, since you are trying to lose weight you are restricting calories so it could be malnutrition (not getting all the macro and micro nutrients your body needs), or could be that you are not eating enough total calories.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism can cause hair loss...if you haven't already, you might want to get that checked.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidsm and that causes hair loss, you should get your levels checked.
  • nicpfeifer620
    Options
    Is the the only symptom? Are you fatigued or losing/gaining weight for any unexplained reason? It is possible that your thyroid levels need to be checked. My sister and daughter both have underactive thyroids and hair loss is a big symptom. Just a thought.
  • sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of hormonal issues going on that are still being ironed out but I have been losing my hair really badly since August. My testosterone is high. I would definitely go to a doctor and explain what's going on, show them and get your hormones checked out.

It could also be from the normal cycle of hair. I think it's roughly every 3 years that we shed certain hairs that are in their final phase (hair grows in different stages) and when lots have reached this last stage they can fall out and seem like a lot of hair is falling out at once.

But like you said, my hair has done the same thing for months -- handfuls in the shower every day. I am going bald at 25 due to hormonal imbalance. It's very depressing and if that's the case for you then please go before it gets worse <33 I feel for you.

Nichele

Thank you for this info. I'm going to make an appointment now too because I've been having this problem since my daughter was born 2 years ago! Eeek. I know after having kids you lose hair, but mine hasn't stopped falling out. I just chalked it up to dying it too much :/
  • bella24xo
    bella24xo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    take biotin this stuff works wonders i had the same exact problem until i started taking it regularly
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have ALWAYS lost that much hair, especially when showering. I also have pretty thick hair, so I guess I never worried about it much, just tend to think that's normal for me. My mom had gastric bypass almost 10yrs ago now, but I know when she was going through the process the Doctor's kept stressing the need to make sure she was eating enough protein or it would cause her hair to fall out. Many of her fellow supporters who went through the same surgery, were getting b12 shots weekly. So that's my background on my educated answer of, are you sure you're getting enough protein in your diet?
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    I starting having this problem when I hit about 20lb loss. I went to the Dr to have my blood work done so I could weed out anything serious. Everything came back fine. My Dr advised against prenatal vitamins and recommended a regular womans daily vitamin.
    I would suggest you speak to your Dr and also bring in your food diary so they can see what your eating habits are.
  • whayamean
    whayamean Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It could mean aboslutely nothing at all a lot of people just lose hair durin weight loss. Make sure you're getting enough protein it's key.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Some hair loss is normal. You're probably okay.

http://beauty.about.com/od/hairbasics/f/hairloss.htm
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Could be many things, since you are trying to lose weight you are restricting calories so it could be malnutrition (not getting all the macro and micro nutrients your body needs), or could be that you are not eating enough total calories.

I agree with this. I was on a low carb/low cal plan and my hair fell out horribly!! It was not fun watching my hair pile up in the shower every day. I am now off of that plan and since I upped my cals and carbs my weight has gone up slightly, but at least my hair is growing back. Good luck!!
  • kazza135
    kazza135 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi my hair was falling out after a heavy monthy blood loss - check your iron levels - anaemia can cause it too
  • bella24xo
    bella24xo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    take biotin this stuff works wonders i had the same exact problem until i started taking it regularly
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    discuss this with your hair stylist. It may just be the shampoo you are using is too harsh.
  • bsktlvr
    bsktlvr Posts: 17
    Options
    I, too, felt I was losing my hair and I asked my hairdresser about it. She said most people when dieting will lose hair. It's normal, and it's just a way of your body responding to the changes that are occuring. (I have lost 40 lbs since January). She said not to stress about it and she also said what another responder says about your hair losing in cycles. Some people will lose more in the winter than summer. So, don't stress but if you are and just want to get to bottom it, go your MD and get some bloodwork done to make sure nothing is going on with your thyroid or other things. I did that too!