A plateau, a fitbit and confusion.....

Options
Well I just found out you can now sync your fitbit to your MPF account, which may I add is awesome! Yesterday was the first day they were linked and it left me scratching my head. Let me give you a little backstory, I have been on a plateau since end of October. I have been working really hard lately to break that plateau but nothing seems to work. MFP gives me 1700 calories before exercise (which btw I'm starving if I only eat 1700 calories). I normally eat me exercise calories (typically 300 per day) due to the fact if I don't I'm pretty hungry. Well yesterday, I earned about 600 calories in the gym (double workout, hey I said I'm trying to break this plateau) but the fitbit adjustment gave me an additional 400 calories (and I still had the 750 calories subtracted so I will lose 1.5 pounds a week). I have a desk job, so I sit all day, but I make an effort to get up and walk often. I deliver the faxes, fill my water, take the mail up ect just to get extra activity. My question is now, Am I on this plateau because I'm not eating enough? Am I eating too much?

PS I had am BMR measured about 3 years ago (scientifically) and it was 1653 without any activity, and it was recommended then that I eat about 2200 calories to lose weight.

Replies

• steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I would start with getting a current BMR. Your weight and age have changed since 3 years ago.
  • Mzholly
    Mzholly Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you, I start this diet about 2 weeks ago. Just started eating healthier. My problem is reaching my daily calories intake! 1750 is where I'm suppose to be, I dropped 5 lbs in less than a week and now I'm MAYBE 1/2 lb every day or two. I don't always have time for traditional exercises so I make up for it buy doing things around the house. A girl friend of mine would use her stairs and laundry to do her workouts. She would take 1 piece of laundry upstairs at a time. VERY good workout and getting things done at the same time. I do that and sometimes I use my kids as weights for lifting. You know that old "airplane" where they lay on your feet. The kids love it and your working out! Flour bags work great too. Exercise isn't all about cardio. Muscle burns TONS of calories. So try lifting things. You could always use ankle weights while at work, And there are a lot of "office exercises" listed online you could do while you work! Good Luck, hope this helps, but I'm right there with you!!!
  • ljcatch22
    ljcatch22 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, are you saying that the fit bit gave you only 400 calories instead of the 600 you were expecting for working out? Or that it gave you 400 more calories a day in general? Because if it's the first, it sounds like you were over calculating your workout calories and need to try sticking to what the fitbit says, or only eat back half.

Also, you may want to consider what you're eating if you are starving at 1700 calories. Unless you're eating calorie dense food, you really shouldn't have that big of a problem feeling full.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    No it gave me an additional 400 calories on top of the 600 calories I earned in exercise, for a total of 1000 extra calories. I typically eat pretty clean (so mostly nutrient dense foods, fruits/veggies/non processed meats/low fat diary). Mostly cook at home for dinner and bring leftovers for lunch.
  • ljcatch22
    ljcatch22 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...it may be worth a shot to just try it for a couple of weeks.