Losing my hair?????

Options

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too.

:tongue:

:laugh: I believe you mean you HAD the problem and never found the solution! Seriously, OP, I lose chunks of hair when my T4 (thyroid hormone) is low. I find that, aside from adjusting my meds, evening primrose oil is good. You have to take it for a couple of months for it to start working, though. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • rainedragon
    rainedragon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just off hand, I know that loosing weight too quickly or a lack of protein can cause hair loss. Also, when mine started falling out a couple years ago, the doctor told me it would take a few months after I fixed my eating habits before it started to come back.
  • fink21061
    fink21061 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My mother had this problem and come to find out it was her thyroid. Something that can also cause weight gain. Have your doc test you for it.
  • dawnmcgee
    Options
    I would suggest a blood check to make sure everything is ok,but I know that happened to me last time I lost a suggnifacant amount of weight,take vitamin B complex, and plenty of protein
  • missle30
    missle30 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My friend had that problem and her doctor said she wasn't getting enough protein. She started drinking a protein shake that also has a bunch of viatmins in it that he prescribed and her hair is coming back.
  • dclamb
    dclamb Posts: 7
    Options
    Not sure why my post posted twice, so I'm deleting one. :)
  • dclamb
    dclamb Posts: 7
    Options
    I just went to Hopkins three times in the last month, and had two rounds of blood work done for the same reason. Trying to weed everything out yourself could take a LONG time (equating to more hair loss). And on your own, there's no way for you to test whether it's hormones, thyroid, etc.

If I were you, I'd see a dermatologist so they can run some blood work since there are SO many potential reasons it could be happening. For me, it was a combo of an extreme vit. D deficiency (since I don't eat meat) paired with the stress of the loss of my closest loved one.

Good luck!
  • Sexymom40
    Options
    I had this problem as well. Have a blood test done. Mine turned out to be a Vitamind D deficieny and also Anemia.
  • LauraRose03
    Options
    My hair never fell out, but I noticed breakage on the top layer, almost to the point where it looked like i had bangs all the way around my head! I was getting really worried, especially since my hair is naturally very fine, but never raised the concern to my doctor. In an annual physical, bloodwork showed that I had an underactive thyroid. I am on medication for it now and the breakage areas seem to be growing back (although I'm not sure if underactive thyroid caused it because I never said anything). My mom has noticed that my hair is shinier now, too. Get it checked out, its probably something as simple as that :)
  • capricornican
    capricornican Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Always have the thyroid checked when your hair is falling out. Mine is falling out too, and my thyroid is low. And a regular TSH doesn't catch all thyroid issues, you need what is called a T3.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I would suggest talking to a doctor about it. I had been having the same exact problem, for a couple years.. first I thought it was normal, then my mom commented that my hair looks a bit thinner than it used to be, and I reached a point where my hair was everywhere in my apartment. I live alone, but I couldn't take all the hair being everywhere anymore.

People, and different hairdressers, gave me lots of suggestions: stress, hormones, birth control pills, bad shampoo, everything, etc..

I finally talked to my doctor about it, and she ran some hormone tests, but also other blood tests including iron and ferritin tests. Even though I took in enough Iron and had normal blood iron levels, she realized that I had very low, chronically low, ferritin. Ferritin is related to iron storage.

That was about a month ago. She didn't give me any prescription medications, but suggested the following:
    1) go back to taking my multivitamin, since it should give me 100% of my iron. I stopped because it makes me nauseous but now I take it with food.
    2) Get on an iron supplement, slow release (to avoid constipation), because even with getting 100% my body is not storing as much as it should.
    3) Take biotin, which has a ton of stuff that improves your hair and nails.

I've been doing this for 3 weeks now and I can promise you that I have already seen a difference in my hair loss when I brush and shower. She wants me to do it for 6 months and then run another test and see how I'm doing. She said that some people just have to be on iron supplements forever,... but I'm willing to do it if it will help return my hair to its former awesomeness.

I would really suggest going to see a doctor -- you might not have an iron or ferritin problem; it might be hormones or some other test that we don't even know of (I didn't know what ferritin was before this).

If you can't afford a doctor or don't have the time to see one, I would suggest to make sure that you are taking a multi-vitamin AND biotin. Skip the iron supplements because it's alot of iron and they can cause constipation and other problems if you don't pick the right one (which your doctor can tell you).

Good luck :) I know exactly how you feel and wish you the best.
  • kyoske
    kyoske Posts: 16
    Options
    So I used to always wonder if my current hair situation is somewhat a result of my poor mental/physical health during college. I lost a lot of weight in an anorexic way, and I also lost a lot of hair. Fortunately, my madness was short lived. I will say this:

Nutritional deficiencies can contribute to increased hair shedding by weakening hair shafts that cause breakage to the hair and slow regrowth.

Hair problems that are caused by nutritional deficiencies can be corrected by a proper diet. Principal nutrients that are involved include vitamin A, certain B vitamins, the vitamin biotin, vitamin C, copper, iron, zinc, protein, and water.
  • capricornican
    capricornican Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just went to Hopkins three times in the last month, and had two rounds of blood work done for the same reason. Trying to weed everything out yourself could take a LONG time (equating to more hair loss). And on your own, there's no way for you to test whether it's hormones, thyroid, etc.

If I were you, I'd see a dermatologist so they can run some blood work since there are SO many potential reasons it could be happening. For me, it was a combo of an extreme vit. D deficiency (since I don't eat meat) paired with the stress of the loss of my closest loved one.

Good luck!

That's the other thing, my vitamin D was low too! I'm noticing that consistently here.
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    I have had this problem for about 6 years..there are many things that can cause hair loss to name a few:

- drastic change in weight and/or diet
    - stress (huge!!! i never realized how much stress affects your physical body)
    - low iron (i'd get it checked)
    -thyroid (hyper and hydro)
    -vitamin D deficiency
    - check your FERRITIN in the iron (seperate test)
    - going under anethesia
    - high testosterone / Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
    - high coritsol levels
    - low progesterone
    - birth control pills

unforunatley i know A TON about this topic because I've been dealing with it for so long and I do have PCOS,Anemia, Vit D deficiency, high cortisol, and lots of stress in my life right now. Feel free to add me for support/questions..

BEST OF LUCK and Ask your doctor for blood work!! SO important :)
  • teamlangston
    teamlangston Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just curious as to why you're taking a prenatal vitamin everyday? Those have extra iron and folic acid in them. Where it is true that low iron causes hair loss....having too much iron can do it too. I was still taking prenatals after the birth of my son, because I was nursing him, but when they did a blood test my levels were too high, so I got moved down to a regular multi-vitamin.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My hair starting coming out in chunks. I t was due to hypothyroidism which in turn is caused by being on Lithium for my bipolar. I've had to have my lovely long locks cut short.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I lose quite a lot of hair, but have anaemia and that's normal for me and it's still relatively thick. But probably around June last year at the height of my weight loss obsession I lost a large amount. Again not so you'd really notice but now that I've started to eat more and put weight on and my hair has started to grow back, I have this halo of shorter hair! Literally a 3 inch length of hair around my whole head, made worse by the fact that my hair is curly when short! I would definitely put it down to the weight loss in my case, and hadn't really expected it to happen!

I guess just make sure that you're calories are good, dense, nutrient rich calories and that you're not eating too little/eating back exercise calories!
  • mwright24skinny
    mwright24skinny Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that I do this every winter for some reason. It started about 3 years ago but it stops. Thats the good news! I got really worried for a while too.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I should also note that a few years ago during the most difficult time of my life I was losing my hair badly ... but not like what I have been experiencing lately. Mine was due to malnutrition back then.

Today I am actually balding and along with high testosterone I also am borderline hypothyroid. So yes, like others have pointed out, you might want to get your thyroid checked just to be sure too.

Protein and B vitamins :drinker:

Hair dye isn't usually a problem for most people unless you are bleaching your hair often :noway:

And also it might help to switch to a shampoo and conditioner that doesn't have harsh sulfates in them. You might already know this but just in case I thought I'd mention it :) Good luck girlie!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    My hairdresser was kind enough to point out I was not only thinning below my head, but above it, too. :huh: Even after she cut it shorter I was still losing the same amount. Some MFP friends suggested biotin, which I started taking a week and a half ago, but I did call my doctor about it, and he also suggested biotin or lecithin. I'm starting to see less hair in the shower drain. It was really freaking me out, man!