Post Workout Drink

Options
Besides water, what is a good post workout drink? I've heard that you should drink Gatorade or Powerade to boost electrolytes (something that water can't give you), but I don't want all the sugar that's in those drinks. I can't imagine that much sugar after a workout is good for you?

Thanks much!

Replies

• PeggysDad
    PeggysDad Posts: 105
    Options
    Chocolate milk, loads of studies suggest this is the ideal post workout drink. You do want some simple carbs post workout, especially after weight training.
  • meltdownvixen
    Options
    I agree with peggy. Chocolate milk is simple. Coconut milk is quick too. But you can always make a protein drink.
  • Hink4Iowa
    Hink4Iowa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake from Walmart called Pure protein Whey
  • jdub1011
    jdub1011 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My recovery beverage of choice on lifting days is 1% chocolate milk. The research shows it is superior to other post-workout drinks.
  • ChallengeChick
    Options
    Too much sugar in gatorade and powerade. I drink a protein shake called vi-shake mixed with 1/2 a banana. It has 12g of protein and less than 1g of sugar.
  • jdjefferson
    Options
    Chocolate milk is good, but does have nasty high fructose corn syrup. I like plain skim milk with Carnation instant breakfast (chocolate). Gives you about 14g good protein. Gatorade also has a protein drink that isn't too shabby.
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions!

It seems like chocolate is the way to go :happy: I joined a gym in early December and am just learning this stuff.
  • clairer2282
    Options
    Milk and a banana blended in is good, can also add some low sugar, low fat peanut butter for extra protein (=
  • Breedy75
    Breedy75 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Honestly for the vast majority of people water is the best after exercise drink.

If you are trying to lose weight the extra calories associated with "supplementing" can be a diet killer. Recover drinks such as gatorade were intended for athletes preforming at extremely high levels of exertion and maintaining those levels for a prolonged period of time.

Your average runner/strength trainer will not require "replenishment" after a typical 1 hour workout.

If you have extra calories to burn and you want to drink chocolate milk go ahead, but understand that a lot of the science is very limited in scope.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    chocolate milk all the way. :)
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    tequila
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Water. Unless your a heavy duty exerciser or have calories to spare, don't waste the calories on liquid drinks.
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I drink Emergen-C after a tough workout to replace those electrolytes, but only after a grueling long workout (like a 2 hour run). Anything 1 hour or less & I just drink water.

http://www.emergenc.com
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic.

I have a pure whey protein drink post-workout, no carbs or fat to speed digestion.

Now I've been reading many studies and articles claiming that PW shakes are unnecessary if you are getting enough protein in your meals. Basically protein from meals can provide you amino acids for hours. There are some ripped bodybuilders who eat one large meal a day and don't have PW shakes. I think they are right too. But for me, it's been my way for so long that I just do it.

Chocolate milk is great PW, the idea is the sugar increases insulin and insulin then drives amino acids into your muscles.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    tequila
    Good to see I'm not the only one. (hic)
  • NicoleSchimmel
    NicoleSchimmel Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I workout 3 times a week for roughly an hour (elliptical, strength, treadmill). I'll probably just stick to water, and one of your suggestions every once in a while. I usually have calories to spare during the week, so a shake or one of the suggestions would work well.

Thanks everyone!
  • moiramab
    moiramab Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For people suggesting chocolate milk, thoughts on a chocolate almond milk? Or the difference would be negligible?