no exercise

Options
Hi is there anyone doing this diet that does not exercise . I keep meaning to but by the time i get in from work and clean up get tea ready i just don't feel like it.

will i still lose weight that's what I what to know

Im not lazy just to busy

suz:ohwell:

Replies

• slimsuzee
    Options
    i'm exactly the same. be good to know if people loose weight without exercising
  • LButterfly201
    Options
    This won't go down well with people on here. Not many people 'like' to exercise...but you do have to help yourself a bit. Yes eating right is very important, but so is being active.

Not being horrible, just my opinion. :) x
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    The short answer is yes you can still lose weight without exercise. It comes down to the amount of calories you are taking in vs. the amount you are burning (without exercise).

But, that said exercise definitely helps. As you burn fat and build lean muscle you will naturally burn more calories every day. And it's important to your health. And for those of us that like to splurge from time to time it lets you earn some extra calories to enjoy.

I am a busy Mom to three kids ages 2-5 so I definitely hear you about being busy. But, if you can fit in just a half hour a day even you will feel better and see results faster. I try to either get up before the kids do and squeeze something in or (and often also) exercise when my little guy naps. If you are working all day that won't work for you but maybe you can fit something in first thing in the morning or last thing at night? I use workout DVD's (Leslie Sansone, Jillian Michael's, etc) or On Demand for my exercise and love that it's only a short walk to my living room so I can get started.
  • kjones3535
    Options
    I have had to take some time off of exercise due to an injury. I have still been losing weight because of my calorie deficit (although I am afraid some of it is muscle without being able to work out). Someone one here once said "if you want to look good in clothes then diet, if you want to look good naked then exercise".

I think that working out is all about toning and gaining lean muscle. The more lean muscle you have the easier it is to burn fat.

I hope that this helps.
  • suzy1953
    suzy1953 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that I really will try to fit some in each day I am thinking of getting an exercise bike
    so maybe that would be a good idea for me
  • WallyGirl358
    Options
    I love your post!
  • luv4dolls2
    Options
    I also have good intentions for exercise but a very long work day and often I find it is hard to fit in any exercise. I do try and get out at lunch and walk, but often I work at lunch too. I can lose weight without exercise, but I can't eat much, I keep telling myself I could eat more if I worked out more...but again time is an issue. I feel your struggle on fitting it into a day.:wink:
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yes possible, but not ideal. Exercise will help you not lose muscle mass and help you stay strong and healthy.

To get exercise in your busy schedule, you have to make it a priority. I work full time and have a 1-ish hour drive each way to/from work, so I'm gone from 7am until 6pm (minimum.. unless there's bad traffic ugh) and trust me, the last thing I want to do is exercise! I've had to schedule in exercise, usually waking up an hour early and getting to the gym before work, or stop by the gym on my way home from work. Try something that isn't very time intensive, such as Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. It takes 20 minutes and you don't have to leave your house.

I would recommend trying to at least get a little bit of exercise into your schedule, even if it's just 15 minutes a day. It will help you be healthy and not just lose weight.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I think an exercise bike is a great idea. That way even if you just ride for a half hour while you watch a favorite tv show it's something. Good luck!

Like another posted said I also had an injury and had to take off some time from exercising and still lost during that time because I was watching my calories. But, in the long run I'd rather do it with diet and exercise (well, maybe I wouldn't actually rather do it that way but I know it's the smarter choice...lol).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have lupus and am only allowed limited exercise-- I see no difference in weight loss when I am not able to exercise, but I do feel better when I can. So I'd say, as a person who doesn't exercise much, try to be more active in general. I try to get out and at least walk the dogs every day. I also have a stationary bike. As far as your weight loss goes, you should be able to lose weight regardless, but you get to eat more calories if you do manage some exercise :)
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Make the time. I wake up at 5 AM so I can get a workout in.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Can you lose weight? Yes

Nutrition is for losing weight, exercise is for fitness. That is as simply said as it gets.

If on diet alone though, don't expect the loss to firm as you go, just a warning.
    I work full time, have the hour commute to and from, have 3 kids (2 disabled), activities they are in, etc. I make time cause I am WORTH the time ;) You have to 1) want it, and 2) make it happen... sometimes WAY easier said then done. You said you were thinking of getting something for the home... I recommend that! I wouldn't be able to do half the fitness I do if I didn't buy equipment for my house. It doesn't have to be elaborate, or it can be - whatever fits your budget...but working out at home sure does make life more simple. I will have a challenge soon as I am adding "full time student" to the already booked schedule... but again... I NEED my workout time or I get cranky now, LOL! I do say good luck, it's not easy... but once you figure out your routine it becomes easier
  • ChristaS
    ChristaS Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Mostly no I don't exercise, I do here and there when I have the time to fit it in like you I have good intentions but am a busy Mom, I would rather spend that extra 30 min I'm not running around trying to accomplish something giving extra attention to my children. and to me (for most of us) being a mom is an active lifestyle! Most of my weight has been taken off this way. I agree that I would look better naked if I managed to fit in exercise as well but my Hubby is the only one seeing me that way and he says I look great regardless!
  • kevneedham
    Options
    The thing about doing exercise is that you can treat yourself to food that you normally wouldn't be able to fit into your calorie count.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I didn't exercise when I began dieting BUT the more weight you lose, the fewer calories you need...you may get lucky and find an exercise you love doing. I did Couch to 5K and now I am a runner (of sorts). I can't believe how much better I feel...and while I lost most of my spare weight before I really got into running, that's how most of the inches have come off.
  • Betsiz17
    Betsiz17 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Do you recommend the Jillian Michaels workout for someone who is not in very good physical shape yet? Or is it too hard?
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    i'm not on a diet :) i'm being healthy, i exercise because i want my body to look good, i dont want to be small and flabby, i want to be slim and trim :) strong is the new skinny!

yes you can loose weight without exercise, but you should really try and make time for it otherwise you might just loose all that weight and still not be happy!
  • natalieward88
    Options
    Last year I did really well and lost weight in a short space of time with good eating and lots of exercise (i've put weight on since then) but this time round I haven't got time to exercise as I am a trainee teacher - very busy! After weighing myself this morning i'm beginning to realise I will not achieve what I did last time without exercise :(
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:30 to get exercise in, the two go hand in hand, diet & exercise, u gotta find the time!