Upping thyroid meds, feeling blah??

Options
Hi, I was diagnosed hypothyroid in Nov and have been on thyroid medicine since then. The doctor is upping the amount slowly but each time after he does this I feel awful for awhile. Achy, tired, just blah....like maybe the way you'd feel the day before a stomach flu hits you. It gets better after a couple weeks then when the med gets upped again I feel awful again. I have heard this is normal at first but wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with their thyroid meds?
Thanks!!!

Replies

• misslolachobble
    Options
    Yes my daughter is the same ,you can tell just by looking at her she needs her meds upping again she is now on 200mg Thyroxine ,its took a long time to get this far (about 18months) ,hope it doesnt take that long for you x
  • klfazio
    klfazio Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Devourme, thanks much! But do you remember if your daughter felt badly right after her meds were upped each time until her body got use to it?
  • ldennett
    ldennett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think this is similar to what my husband goes through although he has never correlated it to medicine increase. He gets it periodically even though the amount of thyroid medication he has been on is constant. He has nicknamed it the achy-shaky feeling and it is the major symptom that he has and he has also mentionned feeling flu like. It drives him crazy but the doctor doesn't seem to have any real response to it.
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid (Graves disease) and on anti-thyroid meds, so sort of have the opposite issue.
    But a work colleage of mine is hyperthyroid and when her meds are off she is cold, heavy, low energy, etc. And when her meds are good, she loses a couple pounds, doesnt wear her sweater all day, and has much more engergy.
    For my disease one of the treatments is to kill my thyroid, which would make me hyper and I am kind of scared to do that.
    I am hoping to go into remission after another year of anti thyroid meds. These caused me some weight gain (which is why I am here) but otherwise made me feel better.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are hypo and not hyper? I've been diagnosed hypothyroid for years and have been on varying levels of Synthroid/Levothyroxine through the years (and pregnancies). Typically hypo makes you feel the symptoms you are experiencing and hyper kind of speeds everything up. I know after I had my third child I accidentally told the hospital my dose was higher than it was and that coupled with naturally needing less after having him caused a bunch of hyper symptoms in me (starving all the time, losing weight crazy fast, antsy and hyperactive, feeling like everything was racing). Whenever my levels have been too low my hypo symptoms cause weight gain, sluggishness, just a general feeling of blah and lack of motivation. Increasing the meds usually perks me back up.

If you are concerned call your doctor and discuss it. Maybe it is normal...everyone reacts to things differently.
  • klfazio
    klfazio Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Idennett, if your husband is on synthetic thyroid (Synthroid, Thyroxine) instead of natural thyroid (Armour, etc...) he is only getting the hormone T4, instead of T1, 2, 3 and 4 which the thyroid produces all of. He will NEVER feel as good as he could on just T4. There is a HUGE controversy out there about it. Google it. Also buy and read "Stop the Thyroid Madness"...and do NOT expect his doctor to be of support. But it changed my life after 29 1/2 years of going undiagnosed and finally finding a very knowledgable doctor who took the time to educate himself on testing T3 and T4 in the blood, not just the TSH (which is a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid hormone.) Good luck to you : )
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i was the same way when my dosage was increased. I felt weird for about a week but after that, MAN did i feel great! it made such a difference!
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Ive been no medication since 2004.
    Ive never felt that way when my meds were upped but my best friend does.
    Idk why it would feel that way... maybe because the upper dose is now making your body work in ways that it didnt with the lower dose?!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Friends - there is a Hypothyroid group that you can join for more support on thyroid issues. There are some that are hyperthyroid but most are hypo. I have been hypothyroid since 1997 and recently found out I have Hashimoto's also.

the feelings of blah, foggy thinking, fatigue, phantom aches and pains is typical of hypothryoidism -- the doctros tend to treat our lab tests (TSH) and not so much our symptoms (at least that has been my expeirence). I recently "fired" my doctor and hired a Naturopath to help me to get rid of my symptoms. Not there yet, but he's more interested in how I feel than what my blood work says.

Here's a great site to get educated about your thyroid. I should own stock in it 'cause I give it out so much!!
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ -- if you are on T4 replacement, there's a place for you to get info about your symptoms.
  • nicholsvj
    nicholsvj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    klfazio - the reason why you feel so sick after each increase of dosing is because you are on Armour thyroid not on synthroid. I can tell by your post that you would rather be on natural medicines that synthetic and that you understand the controversy, but let me explain a little bit about what the difference in the two medications are and see if that helps you.

Synthroid is only T4 and Armour is a mix of T3/T4 (there may be T1 and T2 but your body won't use them in any way, shape or form). So what it comes down to is the T3 - which is the active form of thyroid hormone.

Your thyroid/body is made up in a way that T4 is released into your blood stream and carried to all of the cells. Each cell will uptake the T4 molecule and then convert it to T3 for use inside of the cell. True, there is a little bit of T3 that will be circulating in your blood stream but it has a very short half-life and is not meant to do anything for you. But since your body will convert all T4 to T3 you do not need to take a medication containing T3.

When you take just a T4 containing pill, it has a half-life of 1 week in your body (which is why it takes so long to start noticing a difference). So the T4 will be there for your cells to take up as needed and convert to T3. T3 also acts as a stimulant to your system., and if you end up taking too much it can actually be like taking cocaine. You'll loose weight, have a lot of energy, feel really good - but you are actually doing a lot of harm to your body. You will also be running the risk of your heart developing a permanent arrhythmia called A-Fib - just from taking extra T3.

So, you are on a certain dose of Armour thyroid for a period of time and your body gets used to it. then you add a whole bunch more T3 and your body actually becomes hyperthyroid - which is why you feel so sick every time your doctor adjusts your medication.

My best suggestion to you is to find an endocrinologist that specializes in thyroid replacement. He/she will be willing and able to safely supplement your thyroid function.

Best of luck to you.
  • lin7604
    Options
    wow that was great info, thanks for that. i didn't know lots of what you mentioned. I'm still on the learning phase even though it's been a few years.
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • idratherbeplaying
    Options
    Nicholsvj has the risks nailed well. The only time your body will not be able to properly do the T3 conversion is if you have Liver issues & super stress adrenals (they can test for that too).

T3 is something that is best converted by the body as it is a hormone that in the correct doses for what your body needs, is just shy of the amount that can kill you.

My father as gone into Atrofib on more than one occassion (they have to stop and restart the heart) and it has been extremely serious. Do not take everything on the internet without confirming the sources - are there credentials, references, citations & studies (aside from anectdotal) to properly support the claims made....i.e. it is great the folks claim to "feel better" by doing x, but are there any controlled studies to indicate the improved state is caused by what they are doing.

I am a very firm believer in psychoneuroimunology & holistic treatments, but have also been informed by my holistic practitioners that a risk of taking a dessicated glandular is that it can also permanently inhibit your body from producing any thyroxin on its own.... (in most cases, with folks with Thyroid issues, the parathyroids still are the "stabilizing factors" - you DO NOT want to impact those, as the body's needs for thyroxin varies with stress levels, and other physiological states imposed on the body) -thus amplifying the issues for a lifetime!!! There are some folks who need the synthroid for only a period of time in their lives until the stress is better "managed" or alleviated and then are back to functioning well on their own. There is a risk of never doing this if on dessicated thyroid.

For those wondering what is up when they "up" their medication - usually day 1 -3 is wow, I'm improved! for some.....then BAM! the plateau, to what I call the "down slide"....depression, irritability, water retention, weight gain for some, FATIGUE, lack of focus and motivation, aches, pains, malaise.....then on DAY 10, voila! "human" again! Track it, I'd bet $$ on it. It takes about 10 days for the body to fully adjust and stabilize with the new dose.

Also be VERY diligent on being consistent on WHEN and how you take your meds, i.e. always with food, or without food and at the same time each day.

miss 1 day and it will set you back a week. DON'T, unless you want to go through the 'roller coaster" again.

Don't lose heart - keep it up and things will settle down.

Also be sure your B12's, calcium and iron are VERY, VERY consistently monitored. Pernicious anemia (inability to absorb B12) is VERY prevalent with Hypo thyroid conditions and sometimes severe anemia can actually be the root cause of Hypo Thyroidism. The Synthroid can inhibit some calcium absorption (and calcium and iron should never be taken together they block each other (in simplified terms) from absorbing)........stay away from carbonated drinks (they are made with distilled water, which is great for detox, but in frequent consumption, leaches minerals from your body, like calcium), not to mention the refined sugars, aspartame or HFCS which through your insulin levels out of whack and make your system toxic......

Lastly, look into foods which support or inhibit thyroid hormone conversions. If Hypo, STAY AWAY FROM ALL SOY!!!! also stay away from RAW: broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, pears, peaches, califlower, (- though cooking reduces their adverse affects significantly) if Hyper eat those!

Here is one of the better lists of things to consider diet-wise....http://nourishedkitchen.com/foods-thyroid-health/

Couple of good resource sites:

http://www.thyroid.ca/

Some great points on this site (that I have gathered citations from other sources when researching more in depth) unfortunately, not a lot of citations on the site directly, thus take some items with a grain of salt.....http://www.ithyroid.com/

and lastly, some good info here:

http://www.thyroid.org/professionals/publications/statements/99_11_16_wilsons.html

cheers,
    Nicole
    (I'm hypo as well, have a strong history of Graves in the family and have been hyper in the past.....)

Thyroid inducing foods: Grapefruit,
  • lin7604
    Options
    wow thanks for all that great info!