after work out hair washing question...

Options
sounds silly but does anyone have any advice on how to keep your hair clean and fresh after a work out so you dont have to wash your hair in the shower every day you work out. For someone like myself who has very long and thick hair, it is a pain in the put to wash my hair every day i work out.

If i just wash my body and avoid washing my hair my hair the next day still feels bogged down and gross...

Just wondering if anyone had a remedy for this issue

Thanks!

Replies

• karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I use Lush's Dry Shampoo after a workout. I have long hair and cannot wash/dry it every day cause it takes me about 45 minutes...
    Sometimes I work out at night and just want to take a quick shower and get to bed, so dry shampoo it is one those days (and a ponytail the next, most likely).
  • nibbler1
    Options
    have you tried dry shampoo? If you have thick hair it should be ok, i have very thin hair so its no good for me!
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My daughter swear by the dry shampoos. She has long thick bleached hair so shampooing daily makes her hair very dry and brittle. The dry shampoos work well for her but I haven't tried them myself.
  • arr0528
    arr0528 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound weird but I asked my hair stylist that same question, he said that you can take a shower to wash your body, and after your hair is dry, put baby powder in your hair on your scalp and work it through. I have natural blonde hair and if I go one day without washing it or go to the gym but don't sweat all that much, it looks like a greasy mess. I put baby powder in it and style it and it looks like I had just washed it. The baby powder does the same thing as an expensive dry shampoo and it's way cheaper!!! Good luck!!!
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Dusting powder / dry shampoo. I sprinkle some http://www.lushusa.com/shop/products/body/dusting-powders/t-for-toes in my hair (which is also very thick) and it's great! You have to comb your fingers through for a while to make the white go away, but it takes way less time than washing it.The powder absorbs moisture, tea tree oil smells great too! Plus you can throw some in your shoes as well. :)
  • Byebyebelly6
    Options
    Not a weird question at all... I have always wondered that as well. Thanks for asking... great responses. I guess baby powder or dry shampoo is the key.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    My hair is long and naturally curly, so I've been wondering the same thing. Dry shampoo it is!
  • meltygarden
    meltygarden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yep, this is what I do. Only I just use plain old cornstarch because I can't stand the smell of baby powder (having raised two children, I associate it with dirty diapers). I keep a kabuki brush next to a tin of cornstarch and just separate my hair all over and fluff a little onto the scalp area. Leave it a few minutes then brush through. This is also a great way to add volume at the roots. It does dull the shine at first but after a few minutes and a good brushing it's back to looking great.
  • PinkZinnias
    Options
    This is going to sound weird but I asked my hair stylist that same question, he said that you can take a shower to wash your body, and after your hair is dry, put baby powder in your hair on your scalp and work it through. I have natural blonde hair and if I go one day without washing it or go to the gym but don't sweat all that much, it looks like a greasy mess. I put baby powder in it and style it and it looks like I had just washed it. The baby powder does the same thing as an expensive dry shampoo and it's way cheaper!!! Good luck!!!

I've also used baby powder and it works great on days when I don't want to wash my hair. I get the lavender scented baby powder so it smells nice too.
  • lindsaymo34
    Options
    Dry shampoo!
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

I've also used baby powder and it works great on days when I don't want to wash my hair. I get the lavender scented baby powder so it smells nice too.

I also use lavender scented baby powder.. works wonders!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Suave makes a very inexpensive dry shampoo for about $3. Smells nice and lemony. Spray it at the roots, swish it around with your fingers, and you're good to go. I have highlighted hair, so very dark areas and very light blonde areas, and it works for both.
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    Dry shampoo is good. So it talcum/baby powder. I've read online that getting a big make up brush and applying the baby powder with that works well. Also I always find that my hair goes flat if I don't wash it and just use dry shampoo so I use this stuff called bed head sugar dust and its like a very fine powder that gives really good volume to hair and removes oil too. Its expensive though at £10, but you can get a schwarzkopf version called volumising powder for about £4, although it isn't as good.
  • LauraRose03
    Options
    I've wondered this too! Never tried dry shampoo. I'm afraid to try it, my hair is very fine. I've done the powder thing on days when my hair looks greasy. It works! If your hair is dark, use loose powder (like face powder) made for darker skin. That way, you won't have white powdery look on your hair. I used this when I dyed my hair dark brown eons ago and it works great.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Tresseme has a dry shampoo mousse that works really well too and I think it's about $3 per bottle. Great for dry or curly hair!
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options

I also use lavender scented baby powder.. works wonders!

Another baby powder or cornstarch gal here. I have long hair that's also thin and (joy) oily after a day or good workout. Cornstarch gives me a bit more "poof" of volume and not so much white residue. Experiment to find what works for you!
  • jmaffett
    Options
    Dry shampoo --- unless my hair is super sweaty in which case I blow dry my hair a bit before spraying.

I like Oscar Blandi (pricey but good - at Ulta or Sephora) or Tresomme (cheap and works fine). Both work well for me.

I'm very blonde and used to use baby powder but if I got too much on my head it left residue. Plus it always makes my hair look matte, whereas dry shampoo leaves hair a bit shinier.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Suave makes a very inexpensive dry shampoo for about $3. Smells nice and lemony. Spray it at the roots, swish it around with your fingers, and you're good to go. I have highlighted hair, so very dark areas and very light blonde areas, and it works for both.

I like this one too! It works well and its very inexpensive!
  • MegSkaPants
    Options
    thanks for all your responses, i didnt think of dry shampoo i will give it a try for sure!