looking for workouts to strengthen my core

Options
lI'm a big girl - over 200 lbs but weak for my size, i need to strengthen my core, back, and limbs. I have free access to a gym - what should i be doing to strengthen myself - i really want to work on my core

Replies

• anasf139
    anasf139 Posts: 101
    Options
    Hey! There's lots you can do! If you have access to a stability ball or a BOSU. Both of these are great. Apparently any exercise you do on these are more effective than on a mat/floor. Core wise, I do crunches, cross crunches and planks using the ball as well as back exercises, I dont know the name of... sorry. Other wise just floor work. Same exercises. The main thing is to get the technique right to ensure you don't hurt your back!
  • pixydoodle
    Options
    Hey! There's lots you can do! If you have access to a stability ball or a BOSU. Both of these are great. Apparently any exercise you do on these are more effective than on a mat/floor. Core wise, I do crunches, cross crunches and planks using the ball as well as back exercises, I dont know the name of... sorry. Other wise just floor work. Same exercises. The main thing is to get the technique right to ensure you don't hurt your back!

what is a BOSU and what are cross crunches?
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    A BOSU ball is that big inflated ball, get into a sphinx/push up like form on the ball and stretch your body out till you are tight, hold for 30 seconds rest 30 go 30 more etc.

Also front squats are great on the core and will help you lose fat since its a compound lift.
  • skinnyrn2
    Options
    A BOSU ball in the gym looks like a half of a stability ball with a flat bottom. You can stand on it to maintain balance, and this aid in strengthening your core. The balancing act you do on this ball is what enables you to get stronger.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Planks are great for your core:

http://physicalliving.com/the-5-minute-plank-for-core-strength-stability-and-rock-hard-abs/

I used to do squats on the BOSU and yes it's half a stability ball with a flat bottom.