Help with setting macro % for ketogenic diet

Options
Hi, I want to go on a keto diet but I'm not sure what % to set my macros at. They're currently 20% carbs, 40% protein and 40% fat. Should carbs be lower? Thanks! (:

Replies

• Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to say so, but as a healthy boy and future ISSA PT i do not recommend you to go through a Ketogenic diet... keep eating healthy and you will achieve all your targets!
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    There is infact nothing wrong with a Keto diet, Many people are on it and are fit and healthy! I did it for quite some time and I was fine these are the settings I had for it

Carbs: 10%
    Fat: 45%
    Protein: 45%
  • Tkwild
    Tkwild Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    There is infact nothing wrong with a Keto diet, Many people are on it and are fit and healthy! I did it for quite some time and I was fine these are the settings I had for it

Carbs: 10%
    Fat: 45%
    Protein: 45%

Agreed. I'm on one now and have lost 8kgs in about 10 weeks, not as good as the last time but very respectable results!

If anyone tells you that it's unhealthy, that all the weight you lose is water weight (I lost 40kgs of water weight last time!!!), that your brain will eat itself due to lack of carbs, etc etc... ask for the studies. There are lots of studies pro, and I haven't seen any that support the often ridiculous claims made against.
  • Segrande
    Options
    Ah ok! Thanks! I'll see how long I can keep this up, so used to eating carbs. Been making small changes and trying to slowly increase protein and fat while decreasing carbs, so hopefully it works out! :3
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I thought Ketogenic diets were for people with seizure disorders...? A true keto diet has nearly NO carbs, what you're talking about is really just a carb restricted diet.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Well i still eatextremely low carbs during the week and start increasing them thursday, then friday a bit more and carb reload massively on the weekends... It has work quite well for me
  • Josedavid
    Josedavid Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    This is what we are trained in ISSA about this diet:

The fact is, you need carbohydrates for your brain, heart, and muscles, among other vital organs. The main fuel of the brain and central nervous system is glucose, which is most easily obtained from carbohydrates. If carbohydrates remain unavailable for several days the body attempts to conserve essential protein by producing an alternative fuel source known as ketones, made from the partial burning of fatty acids. As the breakdown continues, these ketones build in the blood causing an abnormal condition called ketosis. Initial weight loss is NOT fat but water, as the kidneys attempt to rid the body of excess ketones. Ketogenic diets make the blood more acidic, upsetting the body's chemical balance and causing potentially serious and unpleasant side effects like headaches, bad breath, dizziness, fatigue, and nausea. In addition, fat can only be metabolized via Krebs cycle oxidation. It is essential to recognize that a reduction in Krebs cycle intermediates due to low- or no-carbohydrate diets will result in a diminished rate of ATP production from fat metabolism. When carbohydrate stores are depleted in the body, the rate at which fat is metabolized is reduced. Carbohydrates are therefore essential in the ability to metabolize fat. It is only the free fatty acids that are metabolized via the Krebs cycle that are used in ATP production, that go toward reducing body fat levels during exercise.

Of course is up to you whether to go for that diet or not... This is only my little piece of information poored her..
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've tried keto, had more energy and didn't feel like I was starving. Good Luck!
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am a bit more extreme. I am a recovered diabetic (no more meds!). I set mine at 60%Fat, 30% protein, and 10% carbs.

And just so you know, unlike what anyone will tell you, this diet has not killed me. My total chol is down to 155 without drugs. I am training for a triathlon and have crazy amounts of energy. My blood sugar is always stable, it NEVER crashes.

I go to the Dr every month to weigh in and have blood work done. I am super healthy eating this way. I went yesterday to weigh in, lost 16 pounds from 12-12-11 to 01-09-12. My Dr is very, very happy with this plan and my progress.

My brain and organs all work very well. Too many people confuse ketosis with ketoacidosis. Ketosis is not harmful in any way. People will write hateful things about it, but it is always based on ketoacidosis. Very different processes.
  • w3nch
    w3nch Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am also doing this and have not experienced any of those bad side effects mentioned above. In fact I feel better than I have in years and this is the first "diet" that I don't spend all day obsessing about food and when/what I'm going to eat next.
    JMTCW :happy:
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this. How long does it take to get into a ketosis state so I'm burning fat and not stored carbs?... Does doing exercise speed help you get into ketosis faster?
  • tylersipple
    Options
    Carbs are a source of energy that we have adapted to using. You look at the diets of ancient humans: meats they raised, fruits they gathered (which were very limited) and vegetables that they grew from primitive gardens. This leaves the macros for moderate protein, high fat, and low carbs (coming from limited fruits and vegetables). We think we "NEED" carbs because we have become so addicted to carb loaded foods, the energy from carbs is quickly absorbed and efficient, so really there is no need for paleo style diets anymore with the efficiency of carbohydrates as an energy source, but for those who want to stick to healthy and natural diets...let them have at it.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this. How long does it take to get into a ketosis state so I'm burning fat and not stored carbs?... Does doing exercise speed help you get into ketosis faster?

This link might give you the answers you seek.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aiHSPoto_YqsNTDvL-g60nytMnyH-CJcCbiAx1IEUYM/mobilebasic
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Hi, I want to go on a keto diet but I'm not sure what % to set my macros at. They're currently 20% carbs, 40% protein and 40% fat. Should carbs be lower? Thanks! (:

I would suggest going to this site to get your macros, then just adjust on MFP.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • jennyxoheff
    jennyxoheff Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That's a great tool, thank you!

I would suggest going to this site to get your macros, then just adjust on MFP.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • jennyxoheff
    jennyxoheff Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Funny- that's how I configured my macro's a while ago as well, and I truly feel no different than when I was eating the typical 50% carb load. I say this in a good way. It's showing me that I certainly don't need to rely on carbs as much as I thought for energy and to feel "good".
    I am a bit more extreme. I am a recovered diabetic (no more meds!). I set mine at 60%Fat, 30% protein, and 10% carbs.

And just so you know, unlike what anyone will tell you, this diet has not killed me. My total chol is down to 155 without drugs. I am training for a triathlon and have crazy amounts of energy. My blood sugar is always stable, it NEVER crashes.

I go to the Dr every month to weigh in and have blood work done. I am super healthy eating this way. I went yesterday to weigh in, lost 16 pounds from 12-12-11 to 01-09-12. My Dr is very, very happy with this plan and my progress.

My brain and organs all work very well. Too many people confuse ketosis with ketoacidosis. Ketosis is not harmful in any way. People will write hateful things about it, but it is always based on ketoacidosis. Very different processes.
  • DedicatedRepublic
    Options
    You might consider a keto diet with a periodic refeed (super high carb meal) once a week or every 5 days.
  • Beths8705
    Beths8705 Posts: 27
    Options
    You might consider a keto diet with a periodic refeed (super high carb meal) once a week or every 5 days.

The bad part about doing that is you kick yourself out of Ketosis and then will have to re go through the "keto flu" process... Not really worth it in my eyes unless you hit a stall..