What do you eat for lunch when you're at work?

Options

Replies

• jsteffen80
    Options
    Today is:
    2012-01-10%25252013.34.52.jpg

35 cal 12 baby carrots
    7 cal 1/2 cup celery
    70 cal 2 tbsp Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce
    238 cal 1 cup chopped turkey
    100 cal Light Strawberry Yogurt

450 cal total

180 cal 1.5 servings of protein shake (don't really count this toward my lunch)

The turkey and BBQ sauce being my entree varies throughout the week. Sometimes it's pasta bowls, lean cuisines, chicken breasts... try to keep the main entree under 350 cal total.

I also generally eat a few hard boiled eggs, a banana, and an apple throughout the day.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    Michaelina frozen meals from Walmart, plain oatmeal with a tablespoon of peanut butter in it, or a protein bar. Those are my staples. Quick, easy, simple, and don't put me over.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I have to pack my luches. We have a cafeteria in our building so it's way too tempting to get bad foods!

Most of the time I pack a sandwich with an apple or carrot sticks. I like those arnold sandwich thins, a serving of oscar mayer deli fresh black forest ham and a slice of swiss or pepper jack cheese. Sometimes I make tuna or chicken salad or get turkey instead of ham to keep it interesting but I've been stuck on ham for quite a while now.

This week I've been packing leftovers because I made meatloaf muffins and since hubby doesn't care for leftovers, I need to pack them to get them cleaned up. If you like meatloaf sandwiches these work great! Heat up one muffin, put it on one of those sandwich thins with a piece of cheese and mush it down. Yum!

I also make sure I pack some snacks to get me through the day so I'm not tempted to hit the candy store or vending machines (or head down to that dreaded cafeteria). Yogurt, nuts, fruit, snack bars or even dry cereal.
  • gorgeouss9
    Options
    on my lunch break I walk to Whole Foods, Subway, or one of the other small student stores around. I also love bringing in my own lunch from home: leftovers.
  • cynusps
    cynusps Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hillshire turky pepper jack sausage, 110 calaories each, and whole green beans makes for a good lunch.
  • SmileyJ23
    SmileyJ23 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I bring my lunch. Usually leftovers from whatever I cooked the night before. I just take it in Tupperware. Sandwiches, salads, meat and veggies etc. I bring my own breakfast too.
  • Damnesia
    Options
    I either have leftovers from the night before, or chuck together a quick salad just before I leave depending on what I have in the fridge - usually some combination of chicken/tuna/ham/etc, spinach, bell pepper, sweetcorn, cucumber, red onion, carrot and cherry tomatoes. If I've had cous-cous/rice/bulgar wheat/pasta the night before I'll try to leave a couple of spoonfuls to add to it too.

For a snack in the morning (regardless of what I have for breakfast I'm always starving by 10-11am) I usually have an apple, but sometimes I'll take carrot sticks or raisins/nuts. I also have a load of cup-a-soups that I keep at work just in case I fancy something warm as well, or if I get a bit hungry in the afternoon...I know they're full of salt and rubbish, but at least they're very low calorie and will keep forever in my desk drawer!
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I do meal replacements or protein shakes for lunch. I find it convenient and fast. This way I get to go nap in my car for the remainder of my lunch break.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    leftovers or frozen meals - lean cuisine, weight watchers or something like that.
  • jljc_2010
    jljc_2010 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP community. :flowerforyou:

I'm new here and was wondering, for those of you who work or have worked outside the home, what you eat for lunch? Do you make it ahead of time and take it in tupperware? If so, what do you make? Do you just sort of graze as you go? I'm starting a new job come Monday and I want to be prepared.

Thanks all. :smile:

Today I ate out, but I prepared my lunch anyway just in case...
    I prepared a chicken breast and a salad, for my snacks pretzels and greek yogurt with blueberries, for breakfast, a hard boiled egg, oatmeal pancake and oatmeal.
    Yes I do make it and bring it in plastic containers.
    Preparation and planning has been the key for me!
    Good luck at your new job!
  • irisheyes42us
    Options
    either a packaged dinner of smart ones, lean cuisine, or leftovers from home. saves money, and by planning ahead i know what to count~ and less likely to overeat. i also take fruit for snacks when i am hungry. a clementine or apple. i bring bottled water and my own creamer for coffee. Lunch at work or eating out is bound to make me fail~:flowerforyou:
  • bgc85
    bgc85 Posts: 68
    Options
    I made this last night and it will be my new GO TO lunch. It was SUPER filling and yummy! I posted it to the recipe board as well.

Okay, so I got the inspiration from this on Pinterest. (I know I'm not the only addict out there!) I love this 'recipe' because you can really make it your own! I went to the Dekalb Farmers Market here in Atlanta and stocked up on loads of fresh vegetables and decided that this would be a quick, easy, and LOW calorie lunch option!

I post lots of healthy (and VERY tasty) recipes on my blog: tactfullysouthern.blogspot.com.

NOTE: Pictures can be found on the blog as well!

Tortellini and Spinach Salad
    Servings: 4

1 lb refrigerated fresh tortellini (or frozen)
    1 large green pepper
    1 small head broccoli
    2 medium carrots
    1/2 container grape tomatoes
    1 yellow squash
    1/2 bottle Wishbone Fat Free Italian Dressing
    1/8 cup reduced fat Parmesan Cheese (I used Great Value/Wal-Mart brand)

Cook tortellini according to package directions. Let cool. Meanwhile, chop all vegetables into bite sized pieces (I left mine chunky). Put in a bowl.Top with the italian dressing and the parmesan cheese. Add in tortellini and mix. I used a Rubbermaid Lock-It container and did a quick shimmy shake to mix mine! Let chill and 'marinate' overnight! Serve over raw spinach.

This turned out FABULOUS! You could 'beefen' this up using garbanzo beans, ham, turkey, chicken, etc! The possibilties are ENDLESS! You could also use your favorite dressing or even make your own! (I was lazy so I used store bought!)

What are some of YOUR favorite lunches?

Here are the stats for my version!

Tortellini Spinach Salad, 1 serving Calories 279 Carbs 44 Fat 7 Protein 11 Sodium 878 Fiber 4
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Lunch is always a "what's on sale" kind of deal for me. Sad, but when you live paycheck-to-paycheck, you really don't have the ability to buy everything organic, etc.

I either try to use a leftover from the night before (today I had turkey chili), or I make a salad with tunafish or crabmeat salad. I'm trying hard to stay away from processed meats and cheeses (so, sandwiches, for instance). I'd rather have fresh veggies with hummus as a lunch meal than have a sodium packed sandwich. OR.. I'll make a half sandwich of peanut butter and banana or jam.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I usually take leftovers from the night before. I also take morning and afternoon snacks, like Greek yogurt and fruit.
    I also keep some emergency soups and stuff in my desk in case I forget my lunch...
  • AprilVal
    AprilVal Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Ive been packing my lunch. Been buying me some of the Smart One frozen Dinners. :) Not too bad, for the most part.. :)
  • cahtchme
    cahtchme Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I take last nights leftovers for the most part. Most of our dinners are a variation of chicken (prepared various ways) and a starch. I portion out 3-4 oz of chicken in a tupperware container and portion out a 1/2 cup to a cup of the starch (depending what it is) and throw lettuce in another tupperware container and bring enough low-fat dressing to make it palatable. I've been enjoying those FiberOne granola bars for a snack/desert. Sometimes I'll also bring some cheese (low-fat Babybel) and crackers and an apple as well. If I'm tired of drinking just water, I'll flavor it with one of the Crystal light packs. I don't bring a lunch all the time, though. Sometimes I'll go out with my co-workers. But I've been really good bringing a lunch for the past 3 months since I've started my new job.
  • Helkaahaien
    Options
    Like most I like lean cuisine and try to get their lowest in sodium and sugars. I love to make a salad and top it with the flavored tuna pouches or cans or make a sandwich with the tuna. One option my husband loves is my stuff pitas which are filled with all the veggies you can dream of and 3 extremely thin slices of black forest ham with horseradish mustard.
  • groxyy
    groxyy Posts: 14
    Options
    I look for frozen lunches that have under 300 calories and not that much sodium or sugar. I love Michellina's because their only $0.99. Compared to $2-3. Only thing is you have to be cautious with the nutritional info on those.
  • stefanieanne14
    stefanieanne14 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I will buy the Green Giant Steamers for when I don't feel like planning ahead. 1 bag isn't all that many calories and it's just veggies with a sauce of some sort.

Otherwise, I bring portioned out leftovers or a pre portioned, ready to throw together salad.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Usually leftovers. About 1-2 times a month I'll make soup and freeze it. I also have done a lot of "instant" meals you ca throw together in a flash:

Protein
    can or white beans or chickpeas
    cooked chicken
    canned tuna

Veggies
    frozen artichokes
    frozen green beans
    jarred roasted peppers (keep for months in the fridge)
    frozen peppers
    frozen broccoli
    baby carrots
    tomatoes

Leafy greens
    frozen spinach
    salad in a bag

Dressing
    lemons or lemon juice
    balsamic vinaigrette
    lime juice

Seasonings:
    Italian seasoning
    fresh herbs
    chili powder

Take one item from each category. Mix and season with salt and pepper. You might want to add a tiny bit of olive oil or butter. I like to use frozen with stuff that's meant to be hot. Things that are perfect for room temp can go together as well. Feel free to add leftover starch from dinner. Or add both meat and beans. You can easily grab items from multiple categories.