Any Good Cook Books?

Options
I want to start cooking at home more often. I have a weight watchers cook book but it doesn't have a whole lot in it. What are your favorite cook books to cook from? Thanks!

Replies

• ctmom1
    ctmom1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Rocco Dispirito "now eat this". I don't like e dessert section because he uses artificial sweeteners, but the other stuff is great
  • abenny
    abenny Posts: 1
    Options
    I like to cook at home too. There's a great website called relish relish that I use. I will log on pick out my dinners for the week (including side) from a list that is changed weekly, & the number of servings I need to make. Then the website gives me a print out of my shoppping list for the week along with all the recipes for the week. Why it helps for this site and tracking calories is that on the bottom of each recipe is a spot that gives cals, protein, carbs, fats, fiber, cholesterol, sodium, & even WW points!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I've sworn off cookbooks since most every recipe known to man is now found for FREE online somewhere. So when I want a new recipe, I just google "Chicken Piccata" look at a few recipes and pick one that looks good. Allrecipes.com is a great resource with reviews from people with suggestions for tweaking recipes, etc.
  • mcneesbit65
    Options
    I like to cook at home too. There's a great website called relish relish that I use. I will log on pick out my dinners for the week (including side) from a list that is changed weekly, & the number of servings I need to make. Then the website gives me a print out of my shoppping list for the week along with all the recipes for the week. Why it helps for this site and tracking calories is that on the bottom of each recipe is a spot that gives cals, protein, carbs, fats, fiber, cholesterol, sodium, & even WW points!

This place looks pretty awesome, thank you!
  • mcneesbit65
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. (:
  • cashqueen33
    cashqueen33 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Hungry Girl cookbooks....One is Hungry Girl 300 under 300 (300 dishes under 300 calories for breakfast, lunch, & dinner) and Hungry Girl Recipes and Survival Strategies for Guilt-Free Eating in the Real World.

THEY ARE EASY AND FUN!
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Any of the Ellie Kriger cook books are good. I love her.

There is also one called Cook Yourself Thin that has some good recipes.
  • melbellkid
    Options
    I just got the Biggest Loser Family Cookbook-it has tons of great good tasting low cal recipes and desserts even!
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I get Cooking Light Magazine and I like a lot of the recipes in there.
  • Isrn2
    Isrn2 Posts: 160
    Options
    I love Allrecipes.com. Lots of recipes, many with nutritional information. They also have the option to enter the ingredients you have on hand and give you a list of recipes you can make. Awesome for those nights when you are out of ideas and don't want to run to the store.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    My favorite cookbook at the moment is Plenty by Yottam Ottelenghi. It's all vegetarian with bold, exotic flavors. Many of the recipes can be found online at The Guardian's New Vegetarian column.
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Enlightened Soups, 50 or 60 soup recipes that are yummy and good for you. I've made at least ten of them and have yet to be disappointed. Plus soup is good winter comfort food.

And they all have nutritional info.
  • kosuski
    kosuski Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I use the receipes off of www.sparkpeople.com--so far both hubby and I have loved them.
  • kyoules
    kyoules Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My favorite cookbook at the moment is Plenty by Yottam Ottelenghi. It's all vegetarian with bold, exotic flavors. Many of the recipes can be found online at The Guardian's New Vegetarian column.

Yes, this! The recipes in this cookbook have long ingredient lists, but I've loved everything I've made from it. Also, I would recommend the Moosewood/ Mollie Katzen cookbooks. I have Enchanted Broccoli Forrest, Simple Suppers, and Cooking for Health from the Moosewood series. I do use online sources (epicurious, allrecipes, Martha Stewart, and Pinterest), but they won't completely replace cookbooks for me.

Edit to add 1 more: Down to Earth WW Vegetarian cookbook. I especially love the bean and goat cheese tostadas with mango salsa, and the silken tofu creamy penne pasta.
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    A couple of ones that we use the most are:
    - Veganomicon
    - Rebar - Modern food cookbook
    - Spilling the beans
    - Quinoa 365
  • erusso88
    erusso88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I LOVE this cookbook too!!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Yes, this! The recipes in this cookbook have long ingredient lists, but I've loved everything I've made from it. Also, I would recommend the Moosewood/ Mollie Katzen cookbooks. I have Enchanted Broccoli Forrest, Simple Suppers, and Cooking for Health from the Moosewood series. I do use online sources (epicurious, allrecipes, Martha Stewart, and Pinterest), but they won't completely replace cookbooks for me.

Edit to add 1 more: Down to Earth WW Vegetarian cookbook. I especially love the bean and goat cheese tostadas with mango salsa, and the silken tofu creamy penne pasta.

I don't think the recipes (for the most part) involve an unusually large amount of ingredients, but sometimes they use things like harissa or preserved lemon that not everyone has. Still, I've found it's pretty easy to find substitutions if I don't feel like making a dedicated grocery run.
  • mommycol
    mommycol Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love cookbooks, and have many, however, I find myself turning to the Internet for recipe ideas most of the time. It is so easy to prop my IPad on the counter with the recipe! Anyway, I have found excellent recipes from the following sites:

Cookinglight.com
    Eatingwell.com
    Skinnytaste.com
    Weightwatchers.com. (I am an online member and have access to all recipes)

Have fun!
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Comfort Food Diet cookbooks by the Taste of Home are absolute amazing! They also have a 6 week menu in all of them that uses their recipes and puts you in at about 1400 calories. So if you run out of ideas you go to that. Mix and match. I love them
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I just got the new Looney Spoons cookbook and love it! They have updated some recipes from their older books and added new ones and it is pretty comprehensive. I can't say as I have tried any that I didn't like (and I have tried a lot!).

My other favourites are the Dieticians of Canada have a few with really good recipes and even make notes as to what is needed to meet your requirements for that meal.

The other is Eating Forward by Sandi Richard... very easy to do recipes and again she gives you an entire meal to compliment the particular recipe.