Fitbit or Polar?

Options
So i'm in the market for a HRM - I've read up on Polar and hear that's a very good brand; I've also seen somethings about Fitbit and hear that's good too, even though from what I see here that it's a glorified pedometer (?). I think an HRM would be good because I have no idea how many cals i'm burning during my workouts (I workout at home to various dvds or just dancing around); But then again a FitBit would be good because I could wear that all day (I commute to NYC and do a fair share of walking), plus it also monitors sleep patterns - something I have trouble with at times.

If both weren't so pricey, I'd get both because it seems they do similar yet different things, but which one would be more beneficial in the meantime?

Replies

• heatherterp
    Options
    i have the same question. looking for advise here
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I have a polar and I like it very much. It is easy to use. It has the chest strap and wrist band and I will say that my exercise equipment and MFP greatly over state my calorie burn so I'm very glad I got it.
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit is not a HRM.
    My Polar HRM does not track steps.

I use both. Fitbit for all movement, Polar for exercise.
    I use the Oregon Scientific data logger with my polar chest strap, and don't have any problems getting continuous readings.
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit is not a HRM.
    My Polar HRM does not track steps.

Ok, that's what I thought. It's not so much steps I'm worried about, moreso calories burned.
  • nilesbollinger
    nilesbollinger Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit and will be getting a Polar HRM this week. It depends on what you want it for. The fitbit is not very accurate at tracking calorie burn during workouts (other than walking) but it is great for tracking your general activity level and your sleep.

An HRM with a chest strap would be much more accurate than the fitbit to track higher intensity workouts like running, p90x, etc.
  • MommaPaz
    MommaPaz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    oops double post
  • MommaPaz
    MommaPaz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at the Fitbit because I think it has some cool functions. That said, I have a Polar HRM and it was worth every penny. Its motivating to see how many calories you actually burn in a workout. It helps me to keep going and keeps me working hard. It is also great because most estimates of calories burned are vastly different (always MUCH higher) than what I actually burn. It really keeps me accountable!
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Polar.
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I also have both. They compliment each other well I think.
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Over Christmas I met 2 people that claim the chest straps don't work for them.
  • CindySue73
    Options
    I have a polar and it works great. I use it to track calories and my heart rate. I especially like that it keeps track of my workouts, calories burned and length of time exercising. I say, pick one to try and see if you like it, if you don't return it and get the other!
  • TraceyReNay
    TraceyReNay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar HRM just before Christmas and I LOVE IT!!! It is simple enough for me to read and understand. I also keeps track of 5 workout sessions at a time. I don't even notice the chest strap. I would highly recommend purchasing this one if you are a new comer to working out like I am: 3 months of consistant daily workouts 5 days per week with 365 Fitness Houston Bootcamp here in Houston.