Which Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
Hi All,

It's all starting to get a bit serious now this fitness and diet thing! Just because I can see a small difference in my body and have a definite improved level of energy I want to do more and more!

I've begun with including Wii Fitness & Active games, 10 Minute Solution DVD's and Zumba to get my body into shape. I've ordered 30 Day Shred since everyone on here has been raving about it. I'll hopefully start this on Feb 1st for a month (I'll finish just before my honeymoon then).

I just downloaded the C25k app on the iphone and will start a running programme next week.

I love working towards goals and reading figures and think a decent HRM will show me if I'm burning enough calories and working to my optimum level. It seems there is a lot of choice out there though and just wondered if anyone had any tips of what to look for...?

Thanks, Beki

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 gets my vote. It's simple and reasonably affordable. Love mine.
  • NettyB62
    Options
    I have a Sportline. The reason I bought it is because it was the only one our local Wal Mart had. Happily, I discovered that when I go work out at the gym..it syncs up with the treadmill and also the elliptical, displaying my heartrate and calorie burn.

I think I paid "around" $50 for it and have had it for over a year now. I have been happy with it. It is important to get your heart rate into your target zone and keep it there for results..so a HRM is a wonderful tool to have!
    :smile:
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    Polar FT4 it's amazing!!!!!!!
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 gets my vote. It's simple and reasonably affordable. Love mine.

Agree 100%!
  • JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4. I love love love it! You should be able to get it for a reasonable price online (like$60). It really is a great one!
  • jdupla5
    Options
    Polar is the way to go !
  • TraceyReNay
    TraceyReNay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar HRM and LOVE IT!!!
  • KellyEdwards85
    KellyEdwards85 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt, Polar FT4. I bought mine off ebay for 79.00 and my husbands off Amazon.com for 50.00 ! plus free shipping. Its the best. Do not waste your money on those at walmart. They are not accurate at all. I know this since that is what i started out with :)
  • Gutter19
    Gutter19 Posts: 141
    Options
    The Ironman is a good watch for starting out with a HRM, but I really am digging the Garmin 405 that I got for Christmas and they are much cheaper now that they have the 410 out. It tracks your HR, distance via GPS and calories. It will also tell you if you are on target for your pace and stuff like that. Since you are doing the Couch to 5k that may come in handy.

I wish I had it when I was training for my half marathon.
  • stephanielindley422
    Options
    I have a polar FT4. I LOVE it.
  • bekisimpkins
    bekisimpkins Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think that's my decision made then! Polar F4 it is. It did look good and at a reasonable price.

Thanks all!
  • dragonladywendy
    Options
    May I add a question? I am a walker (can't do any other exercise right now due to spinal op recovery) and would like to know also, which HRM would suit me as I burn low calories. It is the calorie count I'd prefer and I'd be much more comfortable with a wrist watch type one, rather than a chest strap. Any answers please???
  • Gutter19
    Gutter19 Posts: 141
    Options
    The chest strap ones still use a watch to actually display your results as you go. The wrist style ones that do not use a chest strap require you to put your fingers from your opposite hand on them to get readings and do not track your HR/calories through the entire exercise (I suppose they can get an average heart rate from each time you check it, but I don't think that is as accurate).