NEW to MFP. NEED help with what to EAT????????

Options
2»

Replies

• lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It's so refreshing to see so many people on this site recommending a balanced diet rather than fads! Thank You

Maybe doing it the right way, with good nutrition, exercise, an effort to learn, and the ability laugh at and learn from your mistakes...could possibly become the new fad? That would be so exciting!

I am still learning, but I am finding it fun, and it gets more fun everyday.

To the OP, learning to plan meals, and finding new delicious and healthy meals gets kind of fun once the frustration of not knowing what you are doing wears off. I was really frustrated at first and couldn't figure out what to eat, but eating healthy is very important. It shouldn't just be about losing weight, but getting healthy too so your body can function at its best. The calorie deficit is what will help you lose weight, along with exercise! There are lots of healthy foods out there, you just have to experiment with what you like and what is easiest.
  • Jishmeister
    Options
    I'd usually stick to lean mean like white turkey or chicken breast. Sometimes that doesn't happen though so I try to just keep a balanced diet with fruits, protein, carbs, and dairy. Carbs aren't the bad guys. Carbs are an essential source of energy, but yes you're right, if you don't exercise to burn the carbs, they'll most likely be stored as fat. I prefer protein over carbs though because it leaves me feeling more full off of a smaller portion for a longer time period. Everyone is different though. Good luck!
  • cristaa
    cristaa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can't stick to my calorie goal so I do about 600-800 calories of cardio a day. That lets me eat pretty much whatever I want. If you have an iphone there are some good apps like , eat this not that and 400 calorie fix, and the snack app. I literally try to stay away from frozen dinners and canned soups. They are way too high in sodium and don't fill me up much. Sparkpeople.com has some really killer low cal recipes that could help get you started. I also invested in a food scale to weigh out my cheese and pasta and meats. Also, if you like veggies thats great because they are really low cal and fill you up. I usually just throw a bunch in a pan with some onions and garlic and add either a spaghetti sauce or something like that to make them taste better. Good Luck! you can do it!