up to 20 pounds with 30 Day Shred?

Options
Regmama
Regmama Posts: 399 Member
Anyone here lose 20 pounds or close to it with just diet and 30 DS exercise alone (not 30Ds + walks or runs, etc.)? How much did you lose?

Replies

• busymomof6
    busymomof6 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I did two rounds of the 30 Day Shred and both times lost 12lbs but alot more inches. The first time was 19 inches the second was around 10 inches.
  • mriricat23
    mriricat23 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 DS with minimal walking here and there throughout the week, 20-30 minutes when i could do it and I lost 27 pounds in 5 weeks.
  • mmowbray84
    Options
    What is the 30 day shred?
  • MrsNelson0904
    MrsNelson0904 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It's a Jillian Michaels (The Biggest Loser) DVD. There are 3 levels of 20 minute workouts that totally kick your booty. I got mine for $10 at Walmart and it was a well spent $10.
  • amsandin
    amsandin Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 30 DS only since mid-July and lost 20 lbs in 3 months. For that stretch I was doing it 4-5 times a week. Due to a death in the family and the holidays I wasn't able to keep that pace in December, but I still managed not to gain anything and total since I started 30DS I've lost 30 lbs. Plus I've gone from a size 15/16 to a size 11/12. I have 10 more lbs to lose and I plan on sticking with the 30DS the whole way.
  • ashbrey17
    Options
    agreed
  • ashbrey17
    Options
    the 30day sherd is awsom... Jill has a some good stuff there...... u litterally are sore the next day today will be day three for me ... any one know any good exercises with the work out ball or any good fat burning exercises period.... besides running lol
  • Rubyinthesand2012
    Options
    thats some good successes!

i have just started the 30 day shred

im doing it slightly differently as im only doing the workout mon-fri have decided to do 10 days (so 2 x mon-fri) on each level. i will finish it on the fri after valentines.

im also walking daily
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is all about the calorie deficit - if doing the 30 Day Shred causes you to burn an additional 70,000 calories (3500 calories for 1 lb of fat, times 20 for 20 lbs), then yes it will make you lose 20 lbs. The bigger you are, the more calories you burn, but that's still a huge deficit to create while only doing 27 minutes worth of exercise per day. Therefore you would need to make your calorie deficit larger through restricting your intake. And even then, it may or may not be possible for you to actually create that large of a deficit. 70,000 calories in a month means you'd need to have a 2,333 calorie deficit PER DAY. Some people may be heavy enough to create that kind of deficit and still get in adequate nutritional values during the day, but for a lot of people that would be too difficult to achieve. Basically the 'up to 20 lbs' means bigger people will lose more weight, but if you're smaller you can expect to lose less weight.

That being said, I did it and I lost 5 lbs in the 37 days it took me to complete it, but that was me exercising plus watching my calories. I started the program just under 140 lbs and tended to burn around 200-ish calories per 27 minute session (I have a heart rate monitor) - bigger people will burn more than that (my husband weighs 60 lbs more than me and is taller, and he usually burns about twice what I burn). In addition to my 5 lbs, I lost a BUNCH of inches all over my body and got into smaller clothing sizes by the end of the program, plus felt stronger and had better endurance. It is a great program for beginners, it teaches you some basics and gets you moving in ways you probably weren't moving before. I highly recommend taking measurements of your body before and after, that's where you're going to see really noticeable differences even if you are small enough that the scale doesn't move that much.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I was considering getting that DVD even though I don't normally like to do group class/DVD type stuff. I read all these reviews on Amazon about people talking about injuries. I felt like maybe they were aggravating pre-existing injuries or doing things wrong just to try to keep up and therefore hurting themselves (knees in particular). It seems like the positive reviews outweigh the negative. Can anyone tell me if the bad reviews are exaggerating?
  • jessicaram2011
    jessicaram2011 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I did it and lost 17 pounds, but only on level 1 and I also did 15 minute on my elliptical. The reviews I read mainly said a lot of people shredded more inches and less weight, unless you added some cardio. But in my case I already had a elliptical, so I did both and would highly recommend the 30DS Dvd, when doing the exercise she has modifications which help if you have back issues. Hope this was helpful;)
  • wallacam194
    Options
    Im on day 5 of the 30 DS. I havent kept with it every single day, started it on 1/4 and am only on day 5 as of 1/10. due to a knee injury that one of the people above me in a comment was talking about ive had to sit it out a few days, but i put some ice on it those days i didnt do the video and am so far back to normal. the first day i could barely make it through the DVD on level 1 but i have more energy then ever when i do the DVD and dont get tired half as bad as i did when i first started. I havent noticed any weight or inch drop yet but like i said, ive skipped a few days. i plan on sticking to the dvd longer than 30 days bc i dont go to the gym and i cant walk outside in the northern NY weather right now. as soon as the weather gets warmer i normally walk 3.41 miles which is about 36 minutes for me.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I only lost like 8 lbs on the 30 DS, but I lost a LOT of inches. And then I lost 4 lbs the week after I stopped...
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm about a third of the way through it now. It's basically a really intense 20 minute workout, and will probably do for you about what you would expect a really intense 20 minute workout to do for you. I doubt it's possible to lose 20lbs from that alone (even with watching calories) unless you have a lot to lose, but can you lose some weight and inches? Yup. Are you going to sweat and struggle and work for every pound and inch lost? You betcha.
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I was considering getting that DVD even though I don't normally like to do group class/DVD type stuff. I read all these reviews on Amazon about people talking about injuries. I felt like maybe they were aggravating pre-existing injuries or doing things wrong just to try to keep up and therefore hurting themselves (knees in particular). It seems like the positive reviews outweigh the negative. Can anyone tell me if the bad reviews are exaggerating?

I sometimes have trouble with my knees when I do too much cardio, and the 30DS KILLED my knees My ankles were getting pretty bad too. I just had to give it up before even finishing Level 1.

Instead I started using Jillian Michael's 6 Week 6 pack video, and I enjoy that one a lot more! It's not enough on its own, but with brisk walks, it's been keeping me working out while I was gym-less for a month.
  • mistylee0104
    mistylee0104 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Just started 30DS on the 5th so I'm looking forward to my results :) Good Luck to you!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 30 day shred and on level 2, so far I've lost 6lbs and just started level 2 today, I do more then just the 30 day shred, but honestly the inches you lose is so much grater then the pounds.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options

I sometimes have trouble with my knees when I do too much cardio, and the 30DS KILLED my knees My ankles were getting pretty bad too. I just had to give it up before even finishing Level 1.

Instead I started using Jillian Michael's 6 Week 6 pack video, and I enjoy that one a lot more! It's not enough on its own, but with brisk walks, it's been keeping me working out while I was gym-less for a month.

I actually bought it yesterday and started it last night. I can see how it can mess up your joints. I've got a screw in my hip and some minor knee problems, but I didn't find it to be too bad. I just didn't lunge and squat as far down as them. Also, I live on the second floor with no one below me but someone above, so when it was time to do jumping jacks I wasn't full-on jumping. When I finished, I didn't know whether I wanted to pass out or throw up. I can definitely feel it today.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of trouble with my knees the first time through - I did a lot of modification (for example I did not go as deep on the squats and lunges, tried to pay really careful attention to my form on those - making sure my butt went out back behind me instead of my knees going forward - and I also substituted in different movements during some of the jumping - the jumprope in various levels and the twisting jumping thing in level 2 absolutely killed my knees the first time through, so often I would do the punches instead to keep my heartrate up, or job in place, or do the 'skaters' that are introduced in level 2 - it's okay to modify or sub in different movements if you need to, the main thing is to keep moving and keep your heartrate up especially during the cardio portions). Amazingly, I'm going through it a second time now with my DH and my knees are SO much better than they were the first time around. I figure a lot of my problems before were due to me being so out of shape and just having weak knees. Now that I'm getting some muscle and strength in my legs, my knees can handle so much more than they could before. I also had to stick to the beginner versions of the cario moves done in the 'plank' position b/c of my knees the first time around, now this second time through I'm able to do the 'advanced' version more often.
  • LuaLiz
    LuaLiz Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i agree with the comment stating that a bigger person could possible lose the 20lbs with the shred. i would have had to literally starve myself to achieve that kind of calorie deficit! lol but i am proud to say that i lost 5.7 inchs and 5.6lbs doing the shred 6x a week along with other cardio - horseback riding and cycling.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!