Home made Chicken Pie!

Options
20qkvx4.jpg

r29kwk.jpg

It doesn't look like much in the pictures, but it really is yummy! And you can even use your leftover roast chicken to make it!

Ingredients:

- Vegetable Oil
- 2 small leeks (Or one large onion, it tasted great with either!)
- A handful of mushrooms
- 400g - 600g of leftover roast chicken
- 1 garlic clove (Or you could use garlic powder)
- 100ml of white wine (Optional)
- 50ml Chicken stock
- 150ml of low fat, low calorie cream (Or if you have enough calories, use the normal stuff!)
- A sprig of fresh Tarragon (You can use dried Tarragon also)
- 1 egg (beaten for pastry wash)
- Shortcrust Pastry

Directions:

1. Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, add leeks and garlic, and cook gently for 5 minutes until softened.

2. Turn the heat up a little and add the mushrooms, and fry for a few minutes. Constantly stir so that the leeks don't burn. (If using dried tarragon, add it now)

3. Add the cooked chicken and stir to combine. Add the wine and cook on a high heat until reduced. Pour in the stock, and then reduce again.

4. Add the cream and tarragon, bring to the boil and simmer for five minutes until thickened, season with salt and pepper and set aside. (The mix should be wet but not sloppy or liquid)

5. Pre-heat the oven to 220 degrees, or gas mark 6 or 7.

6. Cut pastry into two pieces, one slightly bigger than the other and line a pie dish (a quiche dish is ideal). Grease the dish or alternatively use greaseproof paper so that the pie will lift out easily.

7. Fill the pastry lined dish with the chicken mix and roll out the second piece of pastry and place on top.

8. Brush with beaten egg and bake for 30-40 minutes.

Enjoy!

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious! Thanks for posting.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious - better than the fish we have for dinner this evening! Thanks for posting.
  • jadieee123
    Options
    You're welcome!
  • daniellesb1
    daniellesb1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Would love to try this, but not sure what SHORTCRUST PASTRY is ?
  • STARSHINE1975
    Options
    Looks yummy! will have to try this.
  • jadieee123
    Options

I'm not really a pastry expert myself but I think it's just a pastry you use for pies and tarts. I use the jus-rol brand :) Sorry I don't have much information for you :(

xxx
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options

I would imagine it's just a simply pie crust - either make your own or buy the frozen kind, let it thaw and then lay it on top.
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    bump..thank you for sharing this sounds amazing!
  • jadieee123
    Options
    Bump!