is fruit for breakfast ok?

Options
xSophia19
xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
last couple of days ive been hooked on eating fruit for breakfast - this would consist of like an apple, banana, orange etc.

someone once told me that fruit isnt that good for you for breakfast - apparently it stores like fat or something along those lines? apparently you need a decent breakfast like porridge, or cereal etc to provide you with all the goodness to start the day off with.

personally i prefer to eat fruit for breakfast - its a nice feeling waking up, heading down to the kitchen and grabbing some nice colourfull fruit! it makes breakfast seem more enjoyable, and i can never normally eat early in the morning =/ and i know its bad for you system to go without food in the morning.

soo is or ok for me to eat fruit for breakfast? or should i really be eating cereal instead?

thanks in advanced x

Replies

• ChanyRae
    ChanyRae Posts: 112
    Options
    I think there's nothing wrong with eating fruit at breakfast, I enjoy fresh fruit in the AM as well. But I think it's best to pair with some protein....you will feel full much longer. Maybe try fresh fruit in yogurt or in a bowl of oatmeal?
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat too much fruit (2 pieces max and lay off it for the rest of the day), and your don't feel hungry mid morning after eating fruit for breakfast, why not?
  • Driving_Miss_Daisy
    Options
    I usually eat a piece of fruit rght when I get up, then I have breakfast(high fiber oatmeal or Fiber Plus Cereal) about 2-3 hours later once I have really woken up. I cannot eat when I first get up. This way I jump start my metabolism and still get in all my meals. Just remember if you do this, the fruit in the morning counts as your morning snack. So your next meal after breakfast would be lunch.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Eating fruit will depend if you have medical conditions. For me..I have IR and PCOS...so I have to stick to low-glycemic fruits and no more than 2 servings..
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I don't like those "it's generally bad if..." rules because I've made the experience that it always depends on the person anyway. For example my friend only has a tiny breakfast, usually just a piece of fruit, in the morning and it works really well for her. If I do that, I feel like I'm starving by 11 and even if I hold out til lunch and continue eating healthily for the rest of the day, it seems to be counterproductive for my weight loss. So I'd say just try it for a couple days or a week and see how it works out for you.
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    1 medium Gala apple for breakfast every day. Does the body good. One bottle of water to help fill me up, and then go onto the cup of coffee to get the day started!!
  • SnowWhite824
    Options
    I have fruit almost every morning, but I have it in Greek Yogurt, which has a lot of protien. You need the protein after you work out (I workout in the morning, before my main breakfast) and you need the fruit to get over the taste of plain greek yogurt! lol
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    The obesity epidemic isn't being caused by too many oranges, I promise.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    The obesity epidemic isn't being caused by too many oranges, I promise.

Haha this.

The only negative thing, in my opinion, of having fruit for breakfast is it not being filling enough....I need some protein i.e. eggs, yogurt and such...but um no, you are not going to tip the scale from eating only fruit for breakfast.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    oooh ok thankyou everyone!

fruit really fills me up. and i normally have a bottle of water to go with it - to kick start the day and some days i struggle to get in my 8 glasses of water a day.

i will stick to this for a while and see what the scales have to say about it ha ha!

thankyou everyone!
  • yarnlady57
    Options
    I am not expert, but I have a starch, usually high fiber toast, a protein, peanut butter or nutella, a fruit and milk. I am full and have the food groups in. If your doctor has said you specific needs, then follow orders, otherwise eat a sensible breakfast.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    The only reason I could see for not eating *too much* fruit in the morning is that you might cause a sugar spike that makes you sleepy and dull by midday. If that's not happening to you then fruit for breakfast is probably better than what 90% of the rest of the population is eating.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    last couple of days ive been hooked on eating fruit for breakfast - this would consist of like an apple, banana, orange etc.

someone once told me that fruit isnt that good for you for breakfast - apparently it stores like fat or something along those lines? apparently you need a decent breakfast like porridge, or cereal etc to provide you with all the goodness to start the day off with.

personally i prefer to eat fruit for breakfast - its a nice feeling waking up, heading down to the kitchen and grabbing some nice colourfull fruit! it makes breakfast seem more enjoyable, and i can never normally eat early in the morning =/ and i know its bad for you system to go without food in the morning.

soo is or ok for me to eat fruit for breakfast? or should i really be eating cereal instead?

thanks in advanced x

If you like fruit for breakfast, eat fruit for breakfast. If you don't want breakfast at all, skip breakfast all together. Won't negatively affect your health at all.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I like fruit for breakfast. I just add some cheese and eggs soon after. Toast... :smile: