recommended recipie books

Options
xSophia19
xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
hello, i want to start making my own meals for myself, instead of digging out whatever is in the freezer (because to be honest, its complete crap). i am quite a fussy eater and i probably wouldnt make or eat half the things that are in a recipie book!

but i want to know if anyone has got any good recipie books that they recommend. whether its like a Jamie Oliver one (i know he cooks some awsome food that i will probably like).

Im from the UK soo i can go to any book store, or i can order from ebay/amazon

please let me know of any good recipie books - the book must mostly contain breakfast, lunch and dinner meals. not too fussed about puddings. :)

thanks in advanced x

Replies

• hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I love the recipes from skinnytaste.com! I have a ton of books but I hate pouring through them. The internet, on the other hand, I can click through and only keep the ones I like.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I have always collected recipe books and subscribe to several cooking magazines. The latest one I added after starting this was "Cooking Light" magazine. Got my first copy this week and just from skimming through it, looks like some good recipes that I will be trying.
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    If you go to allrecipes.com, you can search for recipes by ingredients ... both ingredients that you want and those that you don't want (since you said that you are a fussy eater).
  • harrydresden
    Options
    What kind of fussy eater? Plus, if you go into recipe-hunting thinking "I am a fussy eater", then you will be. Try all foods once: do not turn your nose up at tastes and textures and smells the very first time--some foods need getting used to. It's well worth trying, in the end, trust me.

My brother and I are excellent cooks (men make the best chefs, after all! ;) ) and we have a number of recipe books we just purchased, so I can recommend a few. But first, another thing to think about with food: Just because you've eaten something once, cooked one way, and disliked it, doesn't mean you actually dislike the food. It just means you don't like it cooked that way. : ) I've friends who say they don't like X or Y, then have it cooked properly, and like it.

But~ recipe books!
    There's a series called "Essential" and they do a great range of stuff from "Mediterranean", "Asian", to "Pasta", and "Indian." They're nice, attractive books. We have the Mediterranean, Asian, and Vegetarian. There are literally tons of that range, and they're about half the price they are in Waterstone's, on Amazon.

The only other ones we have are Russian or Eastern European, but that's just a family/culture thing. However, there are some mighty tasty dishes in these types of cookbooks, too. : )
  • cneale91
    cneale91 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    have you tried mags? like weight watchers and Closer and Take a Break cos they do loads of simple yummy ones! x
  • Jujubie
    Jujubie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.ca/Looneyspoons-Collection-Gretas-Greatest-Recipe/dp/0968063152/ref=pd_sim_b_3

The Looneyspoons have produced three books and they are presented as a collection here. Super healthy most amazingly tasty recipes with easy to find ingredients. Check it out on the web or in your local library.
  • xSophia19
    Options
    oooh thankyou everyone! i will look into these. i got a slimming world recipe book today that came free with the newspaper, and so im going to try some of those recipies in there.

erm theres alot of foods that i dont like at all - its mainly down to texture. but im going to try the foods that i dont like again but cooked in a different way and see if it makes any difference :)

im going to look in magazines when i go to the shops and see what recipies i can pick up from there.

ooh and ill look on amazon too :D

thanks for all your suggestions
  • dorbell
    dorbell Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My current favorite is "The New American Heart Association Cookbook", 8th Edition [Hardcover] which I bought at Amazon. VERY tasty meals recently updated with more contemporary ingredients, calories and nutrition given, good nutrition summary at front, healthy is all ways. Not only low/good fats, but also lower sodium which I've discovered is a good idea to PREVENT heart problems, not just to watch after you have problems.
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My favorites are the Hungry Girl cookbooks. She covers meals and snacks and she even has a show on Food Network. :smile:
  • xSophia19
    Options
    My favorites are the Hungry Girl cookbooks. She covers meals and snacks and she even has a show on Food Network. :smile:

thankyou! i will look into them
  • kickproof
    kickproof Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The Cook This Not That books are great!