Too much to be water retention

Options
I know I'm not supposed to check my weight more than once a week because of weight fluctuation but this is weird. How can I weight 169lbs and the day after be at 173?!

Can I have 4lbs of water retention???

Replies

• hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Yes. Water weight can cause you to gain/lose up to 5 pounds any given day.
  • treytillman
    Options
    Yes, definitely. Water retention can add a significant amount of weight fluctuation especially in women. Regarding your weigh in, make sure you are weighing yourself at the same time of day. Personally, I like my morning numbers much more than my evening numbers.

Something else to consider is any supplements you may be taking. These can often cause massive water retention. Creatine is notorious for water retention. It's not a bad thing but it sure does play tricks on the psyche.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Ive had as much as 7 lbs of water retention from my period....so in essence yes it totally CAN be water retention.. Drink Lots of fluids for a couple days and keep doing a healthy eating and lots of exercise the rest of the week. No fooling around :) then weigh at the begining of next week. Your water weight should be gone PLUS some! If not, then you may have gained, but nothing that can't be fixed with hard work and dedication! Oh yes, and make sure to keep your sodium intake LOW!
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    My god it's intense. I was thrilled when I saw the 169lbs. Bummer