Can I lose 40lbs in 5 months?

Options
I really need to lose at least 30lbs- 40lbs by 1st June as i'm going on holiday and failure is not an option!!

I'm eating 1200 cals and plan on exercising 4 times a week

Is this realistic?

Replies

• cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    yes I lost 90 in 6 months. its hard but you can do it. I did 1200 calories a day to do it
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I am sure you CAN... I am not sure if it will have a negative affect on your metabolism (1200 calories only and working out without replenishing those calories). Good luck :)

Where are you going?
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    5 months has about 20 weeks so that would be 2 lbs a week, a good goal. I am not sure if your cal restriction is exessive, your body and weight in the next couple weeks will tell you. Listen to your body and check your weight weekly or 2 times a week at most.

my 2 cents.
  • madeira16
    Options
    Make sure to include some weight training to tone what you have lost!
  • itsshadowwithane
    itsshadowwithane Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    That's my goal also so let's hope so
  • LittleVikki
    LittleVikki Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Greece! :) MFP set my cals to 1200 even when I change to very active it stays the same I think it's cause Im 5ft 1 booo:(

I really hope so i'm going to be super focused!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    It's easy to lose 2 lbs per week at the start, but sadly the closer you get to your goal, the slower your weightloss will be. You can probably lose around 2 lbs per week for a few months, but then you're going to need to shift your goal down to around 1 lb per week, and as you get even closer to your goal you can expect to need to shift it to around 1/2 lb per week. You can work to see huge differences in your body in 5 months, though. I have an ultimate goal of losing a total of 40 lbs. It has taken me just under 6 months to lose 33 lbs and I have lost a BUNCH of inches off my body - went from squeezing into a size 17 pant to purchasing a size 8 just this week. You might not be able to lose your exact 40 lb goal in 5 months (then again you might, I'm just assuming from personal experience that your weightloss is going to slow toward the end much like mine has, which BTW is more healthy and sustainable anyway :-) ) - if you workout and incorporate some strength and resistance training into your routine, you will see even bigger changes in your body than if you just restrict your calories. Workout to strengthen those muscles, it will really help re-shape your body so you can SEE the results you're looking for. :-)
  • swilkie1961
    swilkie1961 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have given myself 6 months to lose 40 lbs. I started right after Thanksgiving and so far lost 14.5lbs. Even at 5lb a month going forward, I should be able to meet my goal.
  • Workinmom1986
    Workinmom1986 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 lbs in 4 months before my wedding so it is TOTALY possible and i honestly just set my account up how it reccomends and i worked out 6 days a week adn i ate all my work out calories back. i didnt restrict to specificly 1200 calories per day if you eat to little it could back fire on you and you could end up not losing as much as you want to.