Are Protein Shakes beneficial?

Options
I have seen many girls that are around my size drinking Protein shakes. I am clueless when it comes to these things and was wondering if this would help with my weightloss and exercise routine? I am currently zigzagging my calories from 1200-1400 switching every other day...and that has seemed to help. I work out atleast 4 times a week doing P90x and High intensity Aerobic classes. I'm 5'4 128lbs, wanting to get back down to 117lbs. So, should I try them and if so what kinds would you recommend an when do you drink them?

Replies

• jadematties
    Options
    Yes. Whey protein powder. you can buy it at sams. Its like 25 grams protein. if you eat it at 9 am you will be full till a bout 2 pm. I love it. you can add fruit and it makes it very good. :bigsmile:
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    BUMP - Interested in the replies you get :)
  • ashreneeknutson
    Options
    I am very intersted in the responses as well.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a great way to get your proteins in. Typically, people lose both muscle and fat when they are in a calorie deficit. What you want to lose is fat, and not muscles. If you keep your protein intake high, then muscle loss slows down. For example, I eat between 100-140g of protein every day. The protein shake is a great way to keep the protein number high.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    They can aid weight loss if used as a meal replacement, which seems to be what the first replyer is doing.

But this is not how they are meant to be used.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Adding them on top of what you already eat? No.

Adding them and cutting some of the other foods? Perhaps.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    i do a protien shake in the mornings after i work out. I am just not in the mood to cook a breakfast so i do a smoothie
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I dont have time in the mornings to have breakfast.. (having to get up 2 teenage girls for school and making sure they have lunch and breakfast)....that is about 6:45 am...So by the time I get to work..between 8-830..I check my emails and about 9..eat my real breakfast...yogurt with berries.

I dont do the protein shake as a replacement..or as a hold over...
  • giggles1973
    giggles1973 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I thought it was supposed to be a meal replacement... Isn't hat how you lose weight? I sound dumb lol but I'm being serious :smile:
  • dkbaron
    dkbaron Posts: 23
    Options
    My trainer had me drinking a protein shake after my workouts...I did count it in when computing my calories
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I thought it was supposed to be a meal replacement... Isn't hat how you lose weight? I sound dumb lol but I'm being serious :smile:

Depends. If you want a protein shake and if you are already on the calorie limit, you are going t have to cut something to fit it in. If you are already way under and can add it, then so be it.
  • firstjog11
    firstjog11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hey, a protein shake for me each morning is huge!!! It makes it so I virtually have ZERO cravings throughout the day. This is a HUGE discovery for me and makes it easy for me to stay in my calorie goal and I also end up hitting my protein goal that fitness pal recommends too. If you don't have cravings, are hitting your protein goals and find it easy to stay in your calorie goal, then I don't know how necessary they are. Good luck.

Sorry just saw the rest of your post. I am 5'3" and currently weigh 139 (just started working on this :smile: ) I use Melaleuca dutch chocolate protein shake because it tastes good and I don't have to choke it down. As you saw above, I drink it in the morning for my cravings. I actually started doing this because I am a medical transcriptionist and have heard doctors over and over again tell their patients who are trying to lose weight to do this, so thought I'd use their advice.
  • lynnjunior
    Options
    I actually just started having smoothies for breakfast, I use the brand called Pure Protein in the Vanilla Cream flavor (it's 100% whey protein) and mix it with (instead of water) Silk Almond Milk also Vanilla flavor (the Chocolate Almond milk is also good), then I sometimes add frozen fruit to it - I LOVE them, very tasty and everything in all the products are good for you!! I hope this helps!
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You don't need to use them as a meal replacement. Basically, they serve one of two purposes. They CAN cause you to build muscle and bulk up but you have to be aiming for that for it to actually happen, it won't whilst you're cutting calories. Or they can be used, like I use them, to up your protein intake to preserve muscle mass whilst you're cutting calories and exercising. By doing that, you're keeping the lean muscle that you've got, which will help you to lose just fat and the more muscle you have, the more you burn and so the more you'll lose. I'll have one a day on days when I'm working out and my protein isn't high enough from my food intake just to bump it up a little. They won't keep you feeling full until the afternoon though! That's what carbs do, not protein.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Ruby_Red_Rose is right on the money. I use the protein shake in the morning instead of breakfast. I add liquid vitamins to it so I don't have to take all the pills. The doctor recommended the protein shakes. He said to find the one with the most amount of protein with the least amount of calories. I've tried many a brand and didn't like 90% of them. Most had horrible after tastes. Once I found Nu-Tek Pro 5, you can't get me to switch to anything else. In my weight loss journey I have lost muscle along with the fat, so now I want to exercise to build my muscle. I definitely need to work on getting in all my protein.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    They are good for you if you aren't getting enough protein through out the day or as a snack after a tough work out or as breakfast.
    I don't get enough protein so they are good for me.

However I am doing smoothies right now. I mix in greek yogurt as my protein.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    They are just a source of protein. Nothing else.

If you need some protein, eat some chicken.

You don't need protein shakes to lose weight. They do not do anything other than supply you with protein calories. You need protein to build and maintain muscle.

But you can get your protein from any source.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    I've just started using a protein mix for two reasons...I was too low in protein and I heard it can help with cravings/feeling full etc.

In my experience, if I have one scoop of protein mix with water at around 3 p.m., I'm not ravenous for dinner and I seem to be more in control.

I use Jillian Michaels' Triple Chocolate mix and I like it so far.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    protein shakes are a great way to replenish your body with nutrients it needs post work out. drink it right after a work out, to avoid that feeling an hour later when you just want to EAT ALL THE THINGS.
  • skm1515
    Options
    I definitely think that protein can be beneficial, especially in your case because you're doing such high intensity workouts.In that case you should try to drink it within 30 mins. of working out so that you can reap the full benefits of it in muscle repair. I HIGHLY recommend counting the calories in your overall total though- whey (lean) protein is great if you are trying to losing weight because that is the most calorie friendly. I love SMART Smoothies Strawberry (I get it from Complete Nutrition). I mix mine with milk and it ends up being 250 calories. You can always mix it with water though and then it will just be 120 calories!