Calories

Options
MFP says I need 1650 calories. I think that's too much. I've not been eating that much and am loosing. I'm afraid 1650 will make me gain!

Replies

• klydrl
    klydrl Posts: 7
    Options
    It said the same for me. I bumped it down to 1500 because I felt more comfortable with that!
  • inge88
    inge88 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You should do what your body tells you to do. But there are a lot of people on here who are actually losing more while eating more (there is a thread called something like 'People who lost MORE while eating MORE', search for it, it's very interesting).
    How much less than 1650 are you eating?
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Try it for a month and see what happens.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How many calories have you been eating? When I joined I was eating 900 per day and I was convinced that was the right way to go. After all, eat less to lose more right? Well, I followed the advice of others on the site despite my fear of gaining weight and upped my calories to 1200. I gained 2 lbs over 2 weeks and then started losing, and I felt so much better. A couple of months later I upped my calories to 1470 and stayed the same for around 3 months. No changes good or bad. Last week I went back down to 1300 and started losing again. So it's part learning the rules (you have to eat enough to fuel your metabolism so it doesn't slow down, but you can't eat so much that you're no longer in a calorie deficit) and it's part experimentation. When you do experiment though make sure you give yourself time to adjust. If I'd seen 2 lbs of gain and decided that wasn't working then I'd still be at 900 calories per day and miserable.
  • GinaKiss89
    Options
    Depending on your start weight and if you are male, you are allowed many more calories than we women! Jenny Craig put my Husband on 1500 and he had good results. Best of luck with your goals!
  • 247tiger
    247tiger Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm with Kim Bensen and she says I need 1450. 1620 is a big difference. Thanks for all the advice. I've heard about the need to eat more...it sounds crazy. Last week I did between 1200 and 1300 and lost 6.7 pounds! I'll see what happens this week. Meanwhile, how do I get the program to put it down to 1450? I've browsed around but don't see how to change it.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Without exercise this site says I need 1470 calories. With the amount of exercise I do, by mid day I need atleast 2200 calories and that is in order for me to lose weight. There have been some days where the site says I need 3300 calories because I did over 2 1/2 hrs of cardio/strength. The most I have been able to eat is 2300...I eat about every 2 1/2-3 hours.

The days that I dont work out (which is usually Sundays), I try to eat 1600 calories because 1470 is just way to low for me.
  • inge88
    inge88 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm with Kim Bensen and she says I need 1450. 1620 is a big difference. Thanks for all the advice. I've heard about the need to eat more...it sounds crazy. Last week I did between 1200 and 1300 and lost 6.7 pounds! I'll see what happens this week. Meanwhile, how do I get the program to put it down to 1450? I've browsed around but don't see how to change it.

I think eating 1450 is good. As long as you eat some of your exercise calories back.
    I haven't set it up manually but pretty sure you can go to 'goals' (in 'my home') and then change your goals and there is an option that you can set it manually.
  • shutch19
    shutch19 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    eating far too less than what your body is use to will put your body into what is know 'starvation' this is where everything you eat will just get stored by the body and then it gains weight instead...increase your calories to a level you feel happy with...im having great trouble reaching my recommended target of calories at the moment but as someone on here told me...your get use to it over time just stick with it..and also ive been told that eating things with high in protein will also bump up the caloire side of it (they did suggest protien shakes but i cant drink them)...hope you manage to find what suits you...all the best :flowerforyou: