Need more good fats

Options
JDMPWR
JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
Good recommendations for some, I have been using PB(natural) but Need more options.

Listem if you gottem!

Replies

• brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Do you like avocados? Guacamole is a wonderful healthy fat. As are nuts (okay not that far removed from peanut butter, I guess) - I'm partial to pecans and black walnuts myself.
  • AP2o12
    AP2o12 Posts: 20
    Options
    Avocado, coconut oil, salmon, and flaxseed are all great! If you go to trader joes they make a pb with flaxseed in it, that's what I buy! Pb is addicting as it is, so it's an easy way to get in extra healthy fats :)
  • Fish! Especially salmon and rainbow trout!
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Avocadoes.
    Nuts.
    Cheese (i freaking love cheese).
    steak. also a big fan.
    olive oil on ya salads.
    fish, fish, fish.

Dont need much more! :p
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Avocadoes.
    Nuts.
    Cheese (i freaking love cheese).
    steak. also a big fan.
    olive oil on ya salads.
    fish, fish, fish.

Dont need much more! :p

^^ this. I keep eating half an avocado every day & olive oil and going
    Over my fats :( but hey at Least it's healthy fat!

I also bought a smart balance light mayo that has omega 3 fats. Might wanna try that :)
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Olive oil! Beans! I like to make my own hummus and pesto to fill these.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Half an avocado
    Coconut oil
    Olives
    Salmon
    Egg yolk
    Almonds
    Cashews
    Pistachio

Trader joes almond butter with flax
    Chia seeds
    Sunflower seeds
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hummus and pest too!!!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Olive oil shooters with guacamole chasers :tongue:
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    organic coconut oil

(google the health benefits and prepare to be amazed)
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of saturated fat. Watch your total intake, but you need it too. (Transfat- BOO)

Good old fashioned butter!!!

I also do nuts, olive oil, cheese, nut butters and the usual suspects...
  • mittensofdoom
    mittensofdoom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I can't help but comment on some of the posts already here to clear up some disinformation. Cheese and dairy products in general are NOT "good fat". Egg yolks are NOT good fat. All these products are high in cholesterol, something you should limit in your diet. Plant source fats are lower in cholesterol and generally better for you than animal based fat.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    All those mentioned above, plus dark chocolate. I love oatmeal with raspberries and semi-sweet chocolate chips!
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    cheese is fine.
    moderation is where its at.

:)
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Options
    I can't help but comment on some of the posts already here to clear up some disinformation. Cheese and dairy products in general are NOT "good fat". Egg yolks are NOT good fat. All these products are high in cholesterol, something you should limit in your diet. Plant source fats are lower in cholesterol and generally better for you than animal based fat.

Cholesterol and saturated fat are different, but I agree that they should both be limited. Another poster said it- MODERATION. Eggs get a bum rap because of cholesterol levels, not fat. Think of shrimp, extremely low fat, very high cholesterol, but highly touted as a healthy food option. Cheese and dairy have a place as part of a healthy diet, and do contribute fat. There are trans/unsat/sat fats. The only one I would call "bad" is our manmade disaster- transfat.
  • mittensofdoom
    mittensofdoom Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Cholesterol and saturated fat are different, but I agree that they should both be limited. Another poster said it- MODERATION. Eggs get a bum rap because of cholesterol levels, not fat. Think of shrimp, extremely low fat, very high cholesterol, but highly touted as a healthy food option. Cheese and dairy have a place as part of a healthy diet, and do contribute fat. There are trans/unsat/sat fats. The only one I would call "bad" is our manmade disaster- transfat.

Unless your a professional athlete there's no benefit to having cholesterol in your diet. Almost all Americans have a what are termed "fatty streaks" in their arteries by their 20s. Fatty streaks are the precursor to coronary heart disease, the number one killer in the United States. By the time we're old enough to realize the consequences of our dietary choices we're already carrying the damage in our bodies, no reason to add to it.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cad/
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Unless your a professional athlete there's no benefit to having cholesterol in your diet. Almost all Americans have a what are termed "fatty streaks" in their arteries by their 20s. Fatty streaks are the precursor to coronary heart disease, the number one killer in the United States. By the time we're old enough to realize the consequences of our dietary choices we're already carrying the damage in our bodies, no reason to add to it.

dietary cholesterol does not raise blood cholesterol levels and yes there are numerous benefits to saturated fats in your diet
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

dietary cholesterol does not raise blood cholesterol levels and yes there are numerous benefits to saturated fats in your diet

This is true for MOST healthy adults, however, some people do have genetic predisposition to higher cholesterol absorbtion. Just noting this for reference is all.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Options
    This is true for MOST healthy adults, however, some people do have genetic predisposition to higher cholesterol absorbtion. Just noting this for reference is all.

I have the genetic predisposition LOL. I just watch my intake (I am always well below 300mg) because I really like animal products LOL...

I don't feel like looking for sources so I'm comfortable to add the "for me" tag and all that yadda yadda, but cheese, butter, saturated fat and cholesterol are not Satan on a plate.

My doctor is published and very much approves of my diet. I have also, though genetically predisposed to hyperlipidemia, have been able to eat sat fat and cholesterol yet still, with MD support, abandon cholesterol meds.

One more time... MODERATION.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Options
    By the time we're old enough to realize the consequences of our dietary choices we're already carrying the damage in our bodies, no reason to add to it.

I just like the way meat/dairy/eggs taste, so I eat them. To me, the foods I enjoy and being able to experience the full spectrum of tastes is worth it. I eat WAY crazier stuff than cholesterol and sat fat. I'm being flippant, but I risk my life when I drive my car down the street. I could not add to the danger by walking, but somebody might hit me with their car.

Would you agree that cholesterol may increase risk, but is only one of the many risky choices we can make that lead to heart disease? My HDL is so high that it actually decreases my risk factors by 1.