5K 4 weeks after I finish insanity, any ideas?

Options
Hello everyone, first off a very brief background.

I am currently on a weightloss journey, I weight about 275 pound (I am not 100% sure as I have no way to weight myself for the past month) I am of moderate fitness but I struggle with anything endurance wise.

I am currently on day 4 of insanity which I have commited to so please do not suggest that I drop the program to change my focus, if I do that I will get discouraged because of, in my eyes quiting.

4 weeks 3 days after I finish Insanity I have been signed up to do a 5K jog, I will be able to train for each day before the 5K and the end of insanity (aside for maybe a recovery day or two) and I am wondering if anyone has any tips for me for training this on such a short time?

Replies

• rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i am on day 4 of insanity too!!!

so on to your question, if it is possible i would try running some before then. insanity will do wonders for your cardio and strength but actually running before the 5k is important. at the very least i would try running on rest/recovery days if time allows. i would be hesitant to run on the actual workout days though unless you have all the time in the world to rest your body....
  • kerrymarie26
    kerrymarie26 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hiya,
    I'm no proffessional but I started Insanity this summer and my fitness increased dramatically each week I could do more and more without having to stop as much. If you keep at it i'm sure you will have the stamina for the run. Also I have problems running long distance but I am fine running short, so i decided to go for walks in a park and run what I could and then I would run a bit more every day, I saw an improvement pretty quick.
    Hope this helped a bit, like I said only going from my experience :)
  • Platnex
    Platnex Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Doing some stuff on days I am already doing workouts is not an issue time wise, at the moment it is just pain wise, I am feeling the strain from insanity as it is so new, it will mroe than likely be motivation wise aswell when it coes to it, I was thinking along the lines of maybe trying to fit in a c25K from the second month of insanity depending on how well my general fitness is by that time.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Don't know how long the Insanity program is, but start a "Couch to 5k" program, available online or as a smartphone app, 8-10 weeks out.
    IT should actually work in tandem with your other program, I should think.
    Good luck
  • Platnex
    Options
    Don't know how long the Insanity program is, but start a "Couch to 5k" program, available online or as a smartphone app, 8-10 weeks out.
    IT should actually work in tandem with your other program, I should think.
    Good luck

Insanity is 63 days long in total, I was thinking of the C25K but my issue is that chances are Sweden where I live will have heavy snow until March.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm in my second week of Insanity, I have a half marathon in May. I do Insanity in the am and another workout at lunch time, today I ran outside about 3.5 miles, yesterday I took a step class, tomorrow and Thursday I will run and Friday I have an aerobics/strength class. Saturday should be my "long" (it's long to me lol) run. Sunday I rest.
    Try to make time at least 3 days a week to run/walk (try a couch to 5K program) in addition to Insanity.

edit: wow, I was slow, all those posts in the time it took me to write that and I've now repeated what others have said :embarassed:
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Try to fit some 30 minute walking after your insanity training a suggestion for instance is doing 30 minute walks in the morning and insanity in the evenings or the other way around, whatever suits you better.

I've just finished week 1 of insanity and the workout is pretty intense and leaves you pretty worn out but I'm sure insanity will build your stamina and endurance a little too.

I've started insanity because I couldn't run due to bad weather where I live and because I didn't want to lose my fitness, I was preparing for a half marathon before starting insanity and I started running with the c25k program, this is a 9 week program although I've completed it in 7. With your insanity workouts you may be able to jump straight into week 4 or 5 or even further on the program and go from there, try it out and see how it works for you.

Good luck!
  • Platnex
    Options
    I'm in my second week of Insanity, I have a half marathon in May. I do Insanity in the am and another workout at lunch time, today I ran outside about 3.5 miles, yesterday I took a step class, tomorrow and Thursday I will run and Friday I have an aerobics/strength class. Saturday should be my "long" (it's long to me lol) run. Sunday I rest.
    Try to make time at least 3 days a week to run/walk (try a couch to 5K program) in addition to Insanity.

edit: wow, I was slow, all those posts in the time it took me to write that and I've now repeated what others have said :embarassed:

Don't worry about the speed of replying, extra replies just shows that it is a good idea.

The main issue I have at the moment as I said is the pain of it, my legs and calfs are not used to this type of "Abuse" I want to give it a week or two to see how I am feeling.

The other issue as I have mentioned is the weather, it is currently minus 4 degress celcius and there is snow and Ice on the floor, it could stay like this till late March (Roll on moving back to the UK in March)
  • Platnex
    Options
    Try to fit some 30 minute walking after your insanity training a suggestion for instance is doing 30 minute walks in the morning and insanity in the evenings or the other way around, whatever suits you better.

I've just finished week 1 of insanity and the workout is pretty intense and leaves you pretty worn out but I'm sure insanity will build your stamina and endurance a little too.

I've started insanity because I couldn't run due to bad weather where I live and because I didn't want to lose my fitness, I was preparing for a half marathon before starting insanity and I started running with the c25k program, this is a 9 week program although I've completed it in 7. With your insanity workouts you may be able to jump straight into week 4 or 5 or even further on the program and go from there, try it out and see how it works for you.

Good luck!

Again, the main issue I have with that is the weather here, I love my walking but I hate walking around in snow and ice, I miss the Irish weather, it is much better for exercising than worrying about slipping all the time.

I am looking for ways to get more walking and jogging done by looking for an open indoor track around me though.
  • rhce40
    Options
    Doing some stuff on days I am already doing workouts is not an issue time wise, at the moment it is just pain wise, I am feeling the strain from insanity as it is so new, it will mroe than likely be motivation wise aswell when it coes to it, I was thinking along the lines of maybe trying to fit in a c25K from the second month of insanity depending on how well my general fitness is by that time.

the soreness will get better. i did the first half of insanity this summer and it got drastically better after the first week or so
  • Platnex
    Options

the soreness will get better. i did the first half of insanity this summer and it got drastically better after the first week or so

I expected it would eventually get better, thank you for the words of advice :)
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

The other issue as I have mentioned is the weather, it is currently minus 4 degress celcius and there is snow and Ice on the floor, it could stay like this till late March (Roll on moving back to the UK in March)

that would be an issue for me too, if the weather's bad I'm on the treadmill, I don't like snow!
  • rhce40
    Options
    anytime!
    why not run on the treadmill? (i stalked your profile :p )
  • Platnex
    Options
    I can not run on a treadmill as I can not afford the gym membership now that it has run out.