Which weight suits you?

Options
A couple of years ago I lost about 20kg, which put me at 50kg. I'm 5ft, and my BMI was in the healthy range.
Last night, one of my friends told me how worried she was about me back then, and how unhealthy I looked.. I was so shocked because I thought I looked great being at my lowest weight!
I looked over some old photos, and I realised how odd and unhealthy I looked..My head looked too big for my body, My arms were lanky and my cheeks were sunken. Now I'm 15kg heavier (65kg) , and everyone says I look healthier, despite my high BMI..

Which got me thinking- does skinny suit me?? Do people have a weight that 'suits' them?? Or just go by my BMI, and keep losing weight??

Thanks guys :3

Replies

• rdvincent
    Options
    I am 5ft 2 and my BMI says 101-136lbs, I would look awful at 101 lbs, so my goal is close to the 136 mark, I think it depends on more than a chart! BTW you look fantastic in your picture!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I was happiest at 125 lbs. I'm 156 lbs now, and don't think I'll ever get back down to 125 lbs, but I'm gunning for 135 lbs.
  • dellyicious
    Options
    Definitely go by the weight that suits you, and the weight that you are comfortable with... not what anyone else says. I am a naturally very heavy person and shock my doctors when they weigh me, according to BMI i am 15kgs over weight... but my body fat is lower than average. So you dont have to go by BMI or by your weight, judge on how you feel in your clothes, or how you feel in a bikini :)
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1" with a small frame. 5 extra pounds is an entire dress size on me. So, I'm shooting for the lower and of the BMI scale.

So in short, yes - I think weight/BMI is relative to the person. Reach for a goal that makes you feel comfortable and happy. Charts be damned =)
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 4" and it has been a while since I have seen it but I am hoping that the higher end of the 130's (BMI 108-145) still suits me and relatively easy to maintain!! :drinker:
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different! At my gym, there is a program where they add your body type in the program with your weight, age, height, etc...and it shows you what you look like now on one side of the screen and on the other you can adjust the weight tool to see what you would look like at a smaller weight. The BMI scale says I should be 120-150 but when we looked on the computer screen we found out that anything under 155 and I looked sickly! I guess because I have wide hips, wrists, ankles, etc....that you literally can have wider bones then others. The gym manager said I will never be a size 4, but he said in a size 10 I will look like a 4 because my waist will be tiny, just my hips will be wider. I guess I will only know for sure when I get down to 155. I am 186 right now and I am in a 12 weeks challenge and am trying to hit that weight in 12 weeks so you can check back with me then to see what I look like :)
  • meggy_182
    meggy_182 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Im smack bang in the middle of my BMI but the extra weight doesn't sit on me well. I'm small framed so i'm heading for a 10lbs loss to see what it looks like.
    never know i might get rid of 5 and think it's enough, or i might get to 10lbs and think i want more gone!
  • gaguihon
    Options
    I'm 5 ft 3 inches. I am currently 140 LBS and my BMI is at healthy. I checked at different web sites to see which weight and BMI I'm suppose to be at and I'm actually right on the range that I'm suppose to be. at 140, it sounds alot for someone my height but it depends on the person. when I told people how much I weigh, they couldn't believe it because I look thinner than 140. But I"m ok with myself because I may look thin but I also have alot of muscle. So as long as you work out to gain muscle than you won't look so thin anymore. I hope this helps
  • Loudmom01
    Loudmom01 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" and small boned. I look and feel good 105-110 but my body likes 113-115. So I fluctuate between those weights. Now I am up to 155 and hate it. Working hard to get back to my size 2s. Some ppl said I was too skinny but my thighs still touched and I had a stomach pouch that I hated and looked into liposuction for. The weight for my height according to all the charts I look at says I can weigh 97-137 n be within a normal range. This is quite a difference for such a short person!!