How to Build Your Own Workout Routine

Options
I have been reading up on the benefits of heavy lifting lately and it sounded so bloody awesome that I am keen to switch up my usual routine and give it a go.

However, I had no idea how to come up with a decent routine of my own... until I read this:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/

Good pointers on getting it right and doing it right!

M

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I just came up with my on weight training routine but sounds like I may need to make some adjustments. :smile:
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Another great post from Nerdfitness. Thanks!
  • MiekeJ
    MiekeJ Posts: 139
    Options
    Another great post from Nerdfitness. Thanks!

Great website isn't it! One of my MFP pals linked to this website the other day, I have been hooked ever since! So much good info :-)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Good article. For beginners, as long as the rep range is not too extreme either way (e.g. 3's, or 20's) then the rep range shouldn't matter too much. I always aimed for 3 sets of 8 reps. Add weight when I reach that.

A sample beginners workout is the following: (I did this 3x a week for a year)

Squat 3 x 10
    Bench press 3 x 8
    Bent row 3 x 8
    Military press 3 x 8
    Stiff leg deadlift 3 x 8
    BB curl 3 x 8
    Do this 3 times a week. Progressively add weight.
  • Vickied84
    Vickied84 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This is great. I've been trying to come up with a good workout routine and this really helped out.
    Thanks for the post :)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Love this!!! Thanks for sharing it... I'm going to use this.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Good article. For beginners, as long as the rep range is not too extreme either way (e.g. 3's, or 20's) then the rep range shouldn't matter too much. I always aimed for 3 sets of 8 reps. Add weight when I reach that.

Squat 3 x 10
    Bench press 3 x 8
    Bent row 3 x 8
    Military press 3 x 8
    Stiff leg deadlift 3 x 8
    BB curl 3 x 8

Ah, this sounds a lot like what I've come up with. Although I tried it earlier this week and could only do 2 sets of each, sometimes less than 8 reps even. :ohwell: I don't know if maybe I should lower weight initially until I can actually do 3 sets?
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Wow great article. I needed help creating an exercise routine. I had a trainer last year but I forgot a lot. This helped me remember.
  • Luv2BMommy
    Options
    bump
  • dawgn49
    dawgn49 Posts: 15
    Options

Squat 3 x 10
    Bench press 3 x 8
    Bent row 3 x 8
    Military press 3 x 8
    Stiff leg deadlift 3 x 8
    BB curl 3 x 8

Looks like the All Pro routine. All good program have the basic compound lifts involved 3x/week: bench, squats, deadlifts, bent rows, overhead press. Start at a low weight and add 5 a session or each week. Reps range of 5-8.
  • KeeleySue
    KeeleySue Posts: 158
    Options
    Tag.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting the link, the information on circuits was really helpful. I just started doing The Wellness Workout which is challenging enough for me right now but I can already see some exercises I can add to it later on.

ETA:
    The Wellness Workout (one exercise for each major muscle group)
    http://www.wellnessletter.com/html/fw/fwFit03StrengthTraining.html
  • chrisdavey
    Options

Squat 3 x 10
    Bench press 3 x 8
    Bent row 3 x 8
    Military press 3 x 8
    Stiff leg deadlift 3 x 8
    BB curl 3 x 8

Ah, this sounds a lot like what I've come up with. Although I tried it earlier this week and could only do 2 sets of each, sometimes less than 8 reps even. :ohwell: I don't know if maybe I should lower weight initially until I can actually do 3 sets?

Yep. Throw the ego out the door.

Start light, get the form correct & practice. Up the weight slowly. Marathon not a sprint. As a beginner, you don't need to work to 100% to achieve muscle stimulus.

example of small increases was my overhead press I would only increase by 1kg (2lbs) if I made 8x3. This is the hardest of all the exercises to increase weight on and that small increase would generally decrease my reps to 6 or 7. (obviously it's % based though, 1kg at 80kg is a lot less % increase than 1kg at 20kg)
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jgoff3003
    jgoff3003 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Squat 3 x 10
    Bench press 3 x 8
    Bent row 3 x 8
    Military press 3 x 8
    Stiff leg deadlift 3 x 8
    BB curl 3 x 8

Can you please confirm if u use free weights or machines and what is a bb curl, stiff leg dead lift, and military press?

thx
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options

Squat 3 x 10
    Bench press 3 x 8
    Bent row 3 x 8
    Military press 3 x 8
    Stiff leg deadlift 3 x 8
    BB curl 3 x 8

Can you please confirm if u use free weights or machines and what is a bb curl, stiff leg dead lift, and military press?

thx

You could use either. Also, Google and YouTube can teach you a lot as far as exercises go.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Just FYI, New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women Stage 1 fits exactly into his description (and I think Steve Toutman here on the site has also posted almost exactly the same information).
  • MiekeJ
    MiekeJ Posts: 139
    Options

Squat 3 x 10
    Bench press 3 x 8
    Bent row 3 x 8
    Military press 3 x 8
    Stiff leg deadlift 3 x 8
    BB curl 3 x 8

thx

From what I have learnt, free weights are the best way to go!

■Do all of your exercises with free weights or just your body weight. Machines get you started down the wrong path, do exercises that recruit as many muscle groups as possible: squats, deadlifts, bench presses and shoulder presses, pull ups and chin ups.

■Practice Good Form. If you do your exercises with free weights with proper form, you will be strengthening your body in the right way, keeping you balanced and injury-free. Woooooo!

■When doing free weight exercises like the bench press, ask for a spotter – you do NOT want to drop the weight on your throat like that USC dude. Ask the guy nearest you for a spot, let him know how many you hope to get (8 reps, 5 reps, 6 reps and I’ll need help on the last one, etc.). Talk it out.

■If you don’t have free weights, use your body – Check out my other article “No gym? no problem” to see how you can get a great workout using just your body weight.

Read more here!

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/10/26/how-to-not-suck-at-working-out/

:-)
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Definitely free weights. For starters, you need to engage your core on all of them so there is your core workout. And you use a lot of stabiliser muscles for balance that machines do not. And some machines like the smith do not move along the natural plane that we would otherwise for things like bench & squats.

Just one thing to add, try to even out the pulling with the pressing in upper body. This will keep your shoulder's balanced & healthy and also help with posture.