Really feeling nervous, pls help??

Options
Ok, so I've been dieting for 15 days. I travel with my hubby as he is a long haul truck driver. He has gotten sick and we have ended up in a hospital in Reno, Nevada. With that said, the last time I weighed myself, I was unclothed, had an empty stomach, and on my own scale at home 16 days ago. I weighed 218. Well, I've been really wanting to weigh myself, but have had no scale. I saw a drs. scale in the hallway here at the hospital and decided to see. It read 216. Please someone tell me I've lost more than 2 lbs! I think since I weighed fully clothed and on a full stomach, that maybe it really is more like 214? What do u guys think? Couldn't it be that those factors are making the scale inaccurate??? It's just got me depressed and scared, this isn't working fast enough. I know what I would say to someone worried about this, but I have a hard time calming myself down. I just really need some reassurance.

Replies

• nkziv
    nkziv Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    please don't freak out over not losing weight FAST enough. you are losing weight! That's great! and if you approach it with a slow-and-steady mindset, you will be much more successful. Just keep doing what you're doing. Also, you would probably weigh less naked first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom. But don't stress!
  • muttley27
    muttley27 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out, the best time to weight yourself is first thing in the morning. Up, toilet, weigh.

Weighing fully clothed and a full stomach would give you a different result, but to look at it another way: its still a loss and better than a put on. Keep going and the weight will come off, just keep drinking the water, make good food choices and you will be right.

Annemarie
    Sydney, Au
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i dont weight myself on anything other than my scale and when im forced to get weighed at the drs.. scales vary. i recently weighed myself before i went to the gym at my house. then i weighed myself at the gym on their scale. theirs was 2lbs higher ..now i know darn well i cant gain two lbs on the way to the darned gym !!!

also you mightve fallen off your routine of eating and working out. it really makes a difference to stick to it as much as you can even during stressful situations ..walk up and down the stairs at the hospital..park as far away from the front door as you can. if you are at hotel then use their fitness area . there are tons of ways to substitute what you were doing
  • etface
    etface Posts: 9
    Options
    Don't do that to yourself. You lost weight and that is a step in the right direciton. Just keep going. Slow and steady is so much healthier and easier to maintain than drastic weight loss with some gimic.
  • dustybutt
    Options
    Please calm down...stress will make you want to eat more. Make a cup of hot tea if you can and talk to us that are trying to travel this road also, hun. We are here for you :-)
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I agree, you will most likely always weigh less first thing in the morning.

I weigh myself when I get up and after I use the bathroom, but before I eat! If I weigh myself during the day with or without clothes I always weigh way more!

So don't worry. You are definitely losing weight!

And I hope your husband is doing better!
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Two pounds in two weeks is pretty darn good! Yeah, I'm sure your clothes added some weight, but I'd be happy with the two pound loss! It's definitely fun to see huge weight loss very quickly, but it's not realistic. The weight has got to come off gradually if you want this to be sustainable!
  • sugarnspice0613
    sugarnspice0613 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    After eating and being fully clothed -to include shoes- I weigh about 5 more lbs than I do when I weigh myself in the morning so you could have actually lost more weight then you are seeing.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    One thing I've found is to always use the same scale. . apples to apple and always weigh yourself in the morning. Don't stress, it'll come. Just keep it up :)
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself on different sets of scales. You will always get different results. Even moving your own scales from one floor surface to another is enough to get different results.

Relax, work hard and just enjoy the number drop when you get home and can get a TRUE picture of how much you have lost.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I've been dieting for 15 days. I travel with my hubby as he is a long haul truck driver. He has gotten sick and we have ended up in a hospital in Reno, Nevada. With that said, the last time I weighed myself, I was unclothed, had an empty stomach, and on my own scale at home 16 days ago. I weighed 218. Well, I've been really wanting to weigh myself, but have had no scale. I saw a drs. scale in the hallway here at the hospital and decided to see. It read 216. Please someone tell me I've lost more than 2 lbs! I think since I weighed fully clothed and on a full stomach, that maybe it really is more like 214? What do u guys think? Couldn't it be that those factors are making the scale inaccurate??? It's just got me depressed and scared, this isn't working fast enough. I know what I would say to someone worried about this, but I have a hard time calming myself down. I just really need some reassurance.
    No, you need to stop obsessing over the scale, and just have a standard set for yourself in terms of how you track progress.

When you weigh in, do it the same time in the same place.
    I weigh in daily right when I wake up after a good poo but before breakfast.

Remember, this is not a race. Set your goals for 1lb of weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!

And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES~!

That's it.

It's actually quite simple.
    The easy part is the what to do; the hard part is the doing.

Good Luck!
  • lucky2too
    lucky2too Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I saw two doctors in the same day and was weighed on two different scales....there was a FIVE pound difference. I don't care what either scale reads, I just go by my own scales.

Get some scales you like and if you are traveling with your husband take them along. I drag my scales with me when my husband and I travel. I haven't flown with them yet, though. It could happen.
  • Seagully
    Seagully Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with the rest of the posters who say don't worry about different results on different scales. Keep your measurements consistent and even if the absolute number was off a bit, the relative change would still apply. And kudos to you for not gaining weight during a stressful time like your husband being in the hospital. It's hard to keep to any regular schedule at times like that, and you're doing great not to gain "stress weight"!

Slow and steady is the right way to approach this, so just keep making the right choices!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Scales can vary, Hun, and clothing has to weigh something. Don't stress yourself.
  • Hobb3s
    Hobb3s Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Loosing weight can take ton's of time (and that's a good thing)... and it seems like it takes forever too. Stay the course.
  • hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Don't stress out, it will be fine! You didn't put it on overnight, and it won't come off overnight. I agree re: weighing yourself naked 1st thing in the morning, and consistently on the same scale. Hang in there! You will be fine!! :wink:
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    you should wait until it's a better time and that way your not beating yourself up your already stressed out over your husband as it is!! I hope he gets better and your both doing better soon.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you lost at least that. By the end of the day gravity weighs your body down quite a bit more with the day's food, water and stress on it. It's okay. I'm sure next time you get on the scale (as soon as you wake up and take your morning pee) that it will read a smaller number. :)
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Different scales, different time of day, different clothes, etc. - all can lead to huuuge differences! I've lost as much as five pounds between the evening and morning somehow. Our bodies are weird; relax :) If you're doing something differently than what you did to gain weight and you're being healthy you're, well, not doing what you did to gain weight and you're being healthy. Keep at it! And I hope your husband's well soon!
  • BPayton27
    BPayton27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    A loss is a loss is a loss. You're moving in the right direction! Give yourself credit where credit is due. My number 1 problem is getting down on myself for not losing fast enough. I had to step back and get some perspective. At least I am making progress, as are you. And you're traveling to boot. Scales vary, I wouldn't stress much!