Tips for eating less sugar?

Options
I'll admit, I have one strong sweet tooth.

My fitness pal has a goal of 30g of sugar a day. My problem, my Strawberry probiotic yogurt alone has 18grams!
I also love my coffee in the morning, with creamer -- which has loads of sugar.

What do you do to cut back on sugar? My goal this week is to actualy not go over the 30 recommended grams of sugar they have for me, so help me out!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    Just try to keep added sugars low. Fructose and lactose are not the biggest enemy. You can easily stay under 30 if you just track the added sugars.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just try to keep added sugars low. Fructose and lactose are not the biggest enemy. You can easily stay under 30 if you just track the added sugars.

Agreed. As far as I know the guideline MFP uses is from the FDA for added sugar, but the program does not distinguish between natural (fruit and milk) and added refined sugar. For this reason I don't bother tracking sugar, and unless you are prone to or have diabetes there is no reason to track sugar.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I don't really know if this is applicable to you because I can't see your diary but here are my general suggestions: Keep starches (grains, especially refined ones, potatoes) in check. They have a ton of sugar. You can compensate for a few sugary things like your morning coffee if you cut back on something else instead. I've been having hot chocolate pretty much daily recently, which is not the best, but then i eat hardly any potatoes, pasta (the biggest no-no) or bread (exception: one 50 calorie low carb high fiber tortilla a day), and I rarely go over on sugars.

Some fruits also have really high sugar content. Your strawberry probiotic yogurt you could switch for one with less sugar. I don't know if it's available everywhere or just Colorado (because of the name), but Mountain High yogurt is probiotic (there are a lot of probiotic yogurts out there, by its very nature real yogurt is probiotic, it's actually usually sugar which kills the probiotic bacteria off), and they have plain, vanilla and strawberry flavors all of which are sweetened with a natural sugar and quite low in added sugars and calories. It's cheap, too. You could probably find another yogurt which satisfied your needs for less sugar.

One thing I like to do is plug things in on my diary before I eat them, gives me an idea of where things are going and I can adjust my eating accordingly.
  • localatte
    localatte Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Although I don't track my sugar, I have lowered my intake greatly. I was watching a show on PBS and the speaker gave the tip of slowly reducing sugar in what we eat. Like if you have 2 tblsp. of flavored creamer, go down to 1.5 tblsp., do that for a week, and then try 1 tblsp., if it's not sweet enough, go back to the 1.5 until you can stand the 1 tblsp. He said that our taste buds can be trained. You know how people say that some foods are "an acquired taste"? Means they didn't always like that food.

If sweets are a problem for you, you have to find out what kind of personality you have, are you a cold turkey type of person (I did that, worked for a while, but eventually I went back to sweets), or are you better at moderation.

Good luck, and you can do it, you really can.
  • lsgordon02143
    lsgordon02143 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    How about you stop acting like an impulsive 2 year old, exercise some self control, and just stop putting so much sugar into your mouth.

Way too harsh! OP - just go into the settings and change how much sugar you're "allowed" (or ignore the reading). Many of us on MFP have found that a limit of around 100-150g makes more sense since it's counting all the innate and added, not just the added, sugars. Plus there is no evidence that for healthy (non-diabetic) people, sugar makes any difference. It's calories, and nutrients. And your yogurt, and fruit, are great sources of nutrients.

I would never give up my chocolate, let alone my yogurt and fruit. I've had great success with MFP and frankly wasn't really too chunky before anyway, and I've eaten yogurt-fruit-cereal-chocolate for breakfast every day since childhood. :)

--LG
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My tips:

1. ditch the creamer. I loved it too but it is unhealthy for many other reasons (fat, cholesterol, the fact that is so processed). I switched to 2% milk in my coffee or tea with stevia.

2. As someone else said, choose plain greek yogurt. You can add stevia to it if the flavor is hard for you to get used to, I personally love it.

3. Dark chocolate. Much less sugar and way tastier in my opinion. Sometimes I put dark chocolate pieces in my yogurt.

4. Not too much milk, no fruit jucies, and pick fruit that are not super high in sugar. I go for berries mostly. If I want a banana I'll eat half, for apples I choose the very small organic fuji.
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    either eat ONLY natural sugars - lactose and fructose - and don't worry about the number ....or make sure your sucrose number is below 30.

there are many different thoughts and differences in opinion when it comes to sugar. the first is that fructose and lactose will not deter weight loss because they are naturally occuring. the second is that Sugar is Sugar is Sugar (meaning all forms of sugar effects your body the same). Many people say fruit is essential because it is a form of anti-oxidants and because of the vitamins and nutrients. On the other hand, if you are eating organic and whole foods to begin with, must you really rely on fruit for an anti-oxidant (the typical American diet of processed foods would support the idea of anti-oxidants because of the chemicals and preservatives we use). The argument is that you can get the same anti-oxidants, nutrients, and vitamins from fruit as you can from different vegetables which contain less sugar.

I would guess from the 18 sugars of your yogurt that there is added sucrose to it. If you were to eat yogurt in its natural form, no added sugar (such as plain greek yogurt), the lactose would be only between 7-9 grams. That means at least 9 grams of the sugar in your yogurt is probably from sucrose.

I personally lost ten pounds from cutting sucrose down to 15 grams per day. (thats 15 grams in combination of lactose, frucose, and sucrose) I was on Jorge Cruise, Belly Fat Cure diet. I started at about 150lbs, ended at about 140-143lbs, no exercize, did watch my calories at 1400 a day.

I stopped that. And then I lost an additional ten pounds by eating organic/raw foods ONLY (NO sucrose) but ate lactose and fructose without keeping track of it. I got down to 130lbs, no exercizing, did not watch my calories.

So I've done both sides. Currently I do not eat any sucrose in my diet, if I do it is under 5 grams (I don't eat processed or packaged foods at all). I am not an advocate of counting calories so much as I am concerned about the quality of what I'm putting INTO my body. I eat one serving of fruit a day before working out but I have an abundance of vegetables in my diet.

Maybe you should try plain greek yogurt with berries (low in sugar) as a more natural option.
    As far as your coffee goes....that will probably come down to just about accepting the taste without all the added sugar. I have 12ounces a day with one tablespoon of half and half. 27 calories, 1 gram of carbohydrate, 1 gram of sugar.

Do you feel the Jorge Cruise flat belly diet did help you lose belly fat? That is my onyl area of concern (I am otherwise thin) and I have been curious about his diet.
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I agree with localatte - stepped reduction worked for me and in the longterm too. I find that a reduction in sugar also improved my taste perception generally. Works for salt too I understand, although I've never tried that one. Good luck.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You really should try and cut back on the sugar in the coffee. White sugar is evil. :)

Now. If you are getting your sugar from fruit, I think that's ok. If you have a sweet craving. Eat some fruit.

Did you know...

That 2 medium apples have the same amount of sugar as 1 mars bar. It's not the same sugar. And the fiber in apples will help fill you up.
  • weagle81
    weagle81 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I wish I hated sugar, but it's my friend!! Every morning with coffee especially.. But I can't stand artificial sweetner!!!
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You really should try and cut back on the sugar in the coffee. White sugar is evil. :)

I drink 1 tsp white sugar in my coffee every day and am definitely still alive, have not exploded, imploded, or otherwise fallen to pieces.

To the OP: I agree with most people on this thread that added sugar should be kept to a minimum, but, if you want a little sugar in your coffee, or a piece of birthday cake once in a while, it's not going to hurt you. A lot people are all "But, Gary Taubes!11!!! READ GOOD CALORIES BAD CALORIES!!!" but a lot of his work has been both criticized for being cherry picked and/or refuted. There's no evidence that a non-diabetic, normal weight person eating moderate amounts of refined sugar within reasonable calorie intake is at any extra health risk.

MFP doesn't differentiate food-based sugar from added sugar. Don't sweat it.
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TXredneck2000
    Options
    I have a sugar sensitivity, so I use the no sugar added or sugar free coffee creamers, low-sugar yogurt, and watch my carb intake because that can turn into sugar too. I consult with a nutritionist to help with my issues. That helps alot so I suggest doing that! Good luck!
  • Ashykins
    Ashykins Posts: 233
    Options
    I have sweet tooth myself and the thing that works for me is sugar free stuff:

Instead of regular creamer, buy Sugar Free Cream by Coffeemate
    Instead of regular yogurt, buy low carb yoghurt (if it's available to you)
    Instead of other sugary things I have gotten used to enjoying sugar free raspberry jello or pudding with a serving size of sugar free whipped cream.
  • Lorianny
    Options
    There are some sugar free coffee creamers out there, Try drinking one cup with, and the next without..I try to do that, It seems to work for me
  • sdag
    sdag Posts: 29
    Options
    I also have an extreme sweet tooth. There were days where I would be utterly miserable because I would try so hard to fight the cravings only to just give in. I would try to eat sweets in moderation but I am an intense person and that never worked for me. One piece of chocolate would quickly turn into 10 pieces, etc. and it was a downward spiral.

But I saw somewhere online that I could be experiencing a vitamin deficiency - namely magnesium. I decided to get some magnesium vitamins and I take them everyday and I haven't experienced any sweet cravings. I am impressed but relieved I have found some kind of solution. Try it out!
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i allow myself up to two servings of raw honey a day .. one serving is a tablespoon so you can break it down or use the whole amt .. raw honey is good for you. .. nothing wrong with the probiotic yogurt but i like greek yogurt better. its creamier and has more protein in it .i get the plain and add a cup of frozen berries or fresh berries to it . sometimes i have a myoplex lite shake or a protein shake with fruit in it .. you need carbs though so dont confuse all carbs as being bad for you. if you eat healthy and are consistant .. stay off of sugar .. eventually you wont crave it any more like you do now. its the same as getting off of anything you are addicted to..takes time,persistance and finding things to do so youre not preoccupied with the fact that you have to get sugar out of your diet.
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It's hard isn't it? :)

Coffee...I'm the same as you are when it comes to cream in my coffee. I buy International Delight Hazelnut (Sugar Free).

Yogurts....yes they have sugar. Quite a bit too actually. I've found Dannon Light and Fit is the lowest I can find. I try to buy whatever flavor has the least amount of sugar.

Fruit....yup! It's got sugar and if you eat ANY fruit at all, your sugar numbers will increase. However, IMO, fruit isn't bad. Just don't eat too much of it.

Snacks/Cookies....yup! It's tough! I buy sugar free cookies and keep them at home. It helps me out with my sweet tooth.

When water is tough for me, I drink Arizona Diet Green Tea. It has zeros all the way down.

Otherwise, I try like HELL to keep away from sugar. It goes straight to my stomach! When I cut sugar out of my diet (as low as I could) I lost 12 lbs. My stomach drastically slimmed down. For me, it's just plain evil!

P.S. We read an article from Dr. Oz that said if you smell a bottle of vanilla extract, supposedly it'll curb your sweet tooth. Haven't tried it yet...but that's what he claims.
  • vschmale
    Options
    I use fat free half and half or regular half and half instead of that sweet creamer. If I want a little sweet, I add a couple packets of splenda or truvia. Honestly, I was a sugarholic (still am to a degree), but I'm doing the 17 Day Diet Plan and so far, I've been 3 days without sugar and haven't missed it a bit. Also, eat more protein when you start craving sugar, it's better for you, takes your body longer to burn, and fills you up faster.

Oh, on the yogurt, try Fage 0% Fat Plain Greek Yogurt. Add fresh fruit of your choice, 1 packet of splenda or truvia, and a tsp of vanilla extract. It's the yogurt with the least amount of carbs and sugar on the market, and in my opinion, has the best flavor and texture.
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using Stevia/ Truvia in your coffee? It is natural, sweeter then sugar, and 0 cal. I have started using half and half to "train" myself to need less