Whey protein and lactose intolerance

Options
Hi all, writing this on the premise that there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. :wink: I am in the market for a protein powder, but am mildly lactose intolerant. I can have a little milk and cheese and be fine, but too much and things get... unpleasant. Does this mean that I need to avoid protein powders that are based on whey, or are these generally lactose-free? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I would avoid it like the plague.

If lactose is a problem, chances are other milk proteins are as well. Watch for casein too. Often people don't realize what havoc dairy proteins are wreaking on their bodies -- headaches, acne, cramps, bloating, fatigue, etc.

If you are looking for a plant-based protein powder, Spiru-tein is very tasty and has many flavors. Most are sweetened, but they do have an unsweetened vanilla. 14g protein for around 190 cals (varies by flavor, and unsweetened has fewer cals).

blessings.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Good to know about that plant-based one. Any other lactose intolerant folks want to chime in?
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I use Jay Robb's Egg-White Protein Powder instead of the whey ones. Some lactose-intolerant people react to whey, some don't...does seem to be a little more of a casein issue.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I had problems with protein powders made with casein. I switched to a 100% whey isolate powder and have no issues.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks!
  • silentnacht
    Options
    I avoid casein like the plaque (it makes me feel awful), but I have no problems with 100% whey protein. If you check the packaging when you shop most will label if they are lactose & casein free. I've also heard good things about hemp protein, so you might want to try that if whey doesn't work out for you.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm another Spiru-tein fan. The cherry one is PHENOMENAL. I buy it at Sprouts. They have individualt packets, so I bought those to try the flavors first before buying the larger containers.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I avoid casein like the plaque (it makes me feel awful), but I have no problems with 100% whey protein. If you check the packaging when you shop most will label if they are lactose & casein free. I've also heard good things about hemp protein, so you might want to try that if whey doesn't work out for you.

I am in the same boat. I was able to buy a high quality protein that is lactose free and it's served me well.
  • sarahwls100609
    sarahwls100609 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I avoid protein powders with casein, as well as the above. I use whey protein from Walmart with no difficulties. Had no problem with lactose intolerance until I had my gastric bypass. Just avoid the ones with casein and you should be fine. Best of luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I am severely lactose intolerant and I can't have the whey protein powders. I learned that one the hard way!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    TMI here, you've been warned ...

I'm mildly lactose intolerant (allergic?) and I can have whey protein shakes.

I can eat cheese, ice cream, chocolate etc. I can't eat yoghurt and milk is a bit much for me. Yoghurt feels like razor blades in the stomach. Mousse is ok in moderation but if I have too much I'll feel sick. I don't get diarrhea from lactose foods so I'm probably not the usual lactose intolerant.

Your mileage may vary. See if the store has a sample pack so you can try it.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    If you are lactose intolerant and not intolerant of milk proteins, weigh protein isolate shakes are probably fine for you. They are low in lactose, and many contain lactase to digest the residual lactose for you. I wouldn't knock it until you'vre tried it. I am mildly lactose intolerant myself, and have never had a problem with whey protein isolate shakes. Just check that the sugars in the product are low - lactose is a sugar, so low sugars means low lactose.

Plant protein shakes are generally an inferior protein source to whey proteins, but they are an option for those who cannot or will not have whey protein.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I use ProPeas from AIM. It's a pea protien, and when I combine it with the fiber they sell too, it makes a filling shake
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I've just switch over to using vegan protein powders - to avoid any lactose issues. The whey bothered me only a little bit, but I want to see if I can improve my tummy issues.

I like anything by Vega, and I just picked up a different brand at the store. It's vegan and I can't remember the name. The protein sources are hemp, peas, rice, alfalfa, etc.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I can't do the whey either. I prefer using the dried egg white powders, no flavor and it makes smoothies "froth" up.