Vibram FiveFingers shoes

Options
I wear my Vibram FiveFingers shoes to work out at the gym, and find that I like them a lot more than the running shoes I was wearing before. I also get questions about them all the time and wondered if anyone else wears these and what they think about them?

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

Replies

• ajmaccar
    ajmaccar Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Nobody has any thoughts on this?
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    They aren't really for just walking around, more for sports. I use them for my squats and dead-lift and Dyno days since they are AWESOME for the balance. They are crazy comfortable, but just like uggs and pajamas they aren't for wearing around town.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I loved mine. They were the only shoes I could run in (since they change the way your feet hit the ground, I could run and it wouldn't bother my knees). They were also great for balance.

Sadly, I loaned them to a friend who wanted to try them before he bought them (yes, I'm female but I wear a male size in Vibrams, I have huge feet :P) and he lost them. :( Now I can't afford a new pair.

And I disagree about them not being for walking around town. They're good for your balance and they're good for your gait, they can help with posture and back/knee problems. I used to wear mine everywhere.
  • ajmaccar
    ajmaccar Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I loved mine. They were the only shoes I could run in (since they change the way your feet hit the ground, I could run and it wouldn't bother my knees). They were also great for balance.

Sadly, I loaned them to a friend who wanted to try them before he bought them (yes, I'm female but I wear a male size in Vibrams, I have huge feet :P) and he lost them. :( Now I can't afford a new pair.

And I disagree about them not being for walking around town. They're good for your balance and they're good for your gait, they can help with posture and back/knee problems. I used to wear mine everywhere.

I have worn mine around when the weather was a bit warmer, and I find them to be pretty comfortable. I also have yet to pay full price for mine. The REI in my area will periodically have "garage sales" where they will set out (at a much reduced price) all of the merchandise that has been returned to them (for whatever reason), and that is how I've gotten mine.
  • zookeepersuzy
    Options
    My husband has 2 pairs currently & has prob gone through another 6 pairs in the last 5 years. He LOVES them. He wears them all the time in the summer, but less when it's cold out even though he has toe socks to help keep his feet warm.

I have a pair, but I don't love them. My second toe is longer than my big toe & it feels weird when I wear the vibrams for more than a few hours at a time. I wear them mainly for water sports like kayaking or when I'm going to a rocky beach.
  • jwintonyk
    jwintonyk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love mine! I have 3 pairs and will be taking them to Afghanistan with me. I recommend them to everyone I talk to...
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options

Yes i would agree with you, except the way they are made are for sports, hiking, free running, lifting, ect. As far as i know they don't make a walking around town version. They aren't very fashionable either, its like wearing gym shorts around town, that is just white trash.
  • jwintonyk
    jwintonyk Posts: 40 Member
    Options

Yes i would agree with you, except the way they are made are for sports, hiking, free running, lifting, ect. As far as i know they don't make a walking around town version. They aren't very fashionable either, its like wearing gym shorts around town, that is just white trash.

If you go on their website, they actually sell a suede version in brown for wear around the city
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I was wearing these but they were a little too thin for running. I switched to Fila Skele-toes and do all my running in these and love them. The thicker sole works for me but they still have the minimalist feel...
  • ohpilot
    ohpilot Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Merrell Barefoots are fantastic as well... exact same technology as the Vibram shoe :)
  • ohpilot
    Options
    Oops... double post :)
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Do these actually fit wide feet? That's always been what I'm curious about.

EDIT: I also have a short-wide big toe in comparison to most people.
  • ohpilot
    Options
    Do these actually fit wide feet? That's always been what I'm curious about.

The Barefoots are pretty good - I can't speak for anything else. They have a wider toebox to allow your feet to splay naturally.
  • kar74
    kar74 Posts: 49
    Options
    I have a pair of Merrells that I love! I can easily run outdoors with them, but they kill my knees on the treadmill. I also like to wear them to the gym when I'm using the machines and doing the elliptical.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I got a pair of Skeletoes for Christmas and I love them! I wear them around town for the working out since I'm not working out as much (except for walking) while I'm pregnant. But they are very comfy to me.
  • travelclarkie
    Options
    I have several pairs of VFF and I love them. I wear them as my only shoe all year round (winter I wear toe socks on the really cold days). I've worn them to the gym, hiking, every day wear, work, etc etc.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I am happy to see all of the people who like their five fingers because I have been looking at getting a pair. Maybe a reward when I hit 30 lbs lost?