Salsa ideas

Options
I just made a "healthy" quesadilla by using lean sirloin, lower carb whole wheat tortilla, and plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream. It was super duper tasty. But the star of the show was the salsa that I bought in the produce section of the store. It is the best salsa I have ever had. So, here is my question, what do you put salsa on or eat it with? I have only had it with the normal, chips or anything mexican, but never tried on anything else but this was so good I want to eat the whole tub with a spoon.

Replies

• inmankelly
    Options
    Scrambled eggs...
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    YES,its so good on scrambled eggs.
    Also I don't know if you can find a good low cal variety where you live but I buy "fancy lebanese bakery" mini pitas. You cut them up and microwave them for a minute or so and you have a whole plate of "chips" for 50 cals,and they're low carb too!
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I substitute ketchup, in my turkey meatloaf recipe, with salsa. I use on my egg whites, also...And, today I had a wheat tortilla, Quinoa, salsa, onion powder and some low fat Mexican cheese with scrambled egg whites for lunch...Yum!
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has mentioned, its amazing with scrambled eggs. :)
  • cloveraz
    Options
    Turkey Meatloaf Salsa
    Serves 5 people
    Ingredients
    Purdue - Lean Ground Turkey 93/7, 0.5 container
    Fresh - Yellow Bell Pepper - Chopped, 1/8 cup
    Generic - Fresh Red Bell Pepper - 1 Cup Chopped, 0.13 Cup Chopped (149g)
    Fresh - Chopped Yellow Onion, 1/4 cup
    Contadina - Bread Crumbs Traditional Unseasoned, 1/4 cup (28 g)
    Carlita - Thick and Chunky Salsa Mild (Fat Free) - 16oz. Jar , 4 Tbsp.
    Kroger - Break-Free 100% Liquid Egg Whites, 3 Tablespoons
    Carlita - Mild Taco Sauce, 4 tbsp

Mix it all together in a bowl, put it in a meatloaf pan, and put it in the stove for 30 minutes at 350 degrees....
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I have scrambled eggs every now and then and always have to have cheese in them. I can't wait to try them with salsa now.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I use it to make shredded chicken in the crockpot...just dump in 4 chicken breasts, a (rinsed and drained) can of low sodium black beans, half a bag of frozen corn, and pour a jar of salsa overtop. Cook 6-8 hrs on low and shred before serving. It's great on corn tortillas, topped with some fage 0% greek yogurt (my sour cream sub), some fresh cilantro, and a little Tapatio!

On the whole wheat tortilla note - check out La Tortilla Factory tortilla wraps. They are 80-120 cals and 12-13g fiber. So good! I use them to make amazing breakfast burritos.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    you can put it on a baked sweet potato with some cottage cheese...sounds weird, but is so good.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Turkey Meatloaf Salsa
    Serves 5 people
    Ingredients
    Purdue - Lean Ground Turkey 93/7, 0.5 container
    Fresh - Yellow Bell Pepper - Chopped, 1/8 cup
    Generic - Fresh Red Bell Pepper - 1 Cup Chopped, 0.13 Cup Chopped (149g)
    Fresh - Chopped Yellow Onion, 1/4 cup
    Contadina - Bread Crumbs Traditional Unseasoned, 1/4 cup (28 g)
    Carlita - Thick and Chunky Salsa Mild (Fat Free) - 16oz. Jar , 4 Tbsp.
    Kroger - Break-Free 100% Liquid Egg Whites, 3 Tablespoons
    Carlita - Mild Taco Sauce, 4 tbsp

Mix it all together in a bowl, put it in a meatloaf pan, and put it in the stove for 30 minutes at 350 degrees....

I will have to try this. I might modify it to make half the amount because I live alone though.
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Baked potato topping
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    My husband makes homemade salsa and it's AMAZING... I eat it as often as I can! I eat it with over easy eggs (yes, cause I love the runny yolk!), and I also eat it with beans, just straight out the can and microwaved. YUM! I put it in my chili sometimes, or meatloaf. But my favorite is with beans... black and pinto are my favorite, but sometimes I'll use kidney beans, mix it with the salsa, and pour it over shredded lettuce, and it's delicious!

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • BuildABetterMe
    Options
    Baked potato topping

^^^^^ THIS!!!
  • Legoeggo
    Legoeggo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use it as a salad dressing.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Cook those little won ton wraps in the oven (or low carb pita bread or torTotillas) for pretend chips! I LOVE chips n salsa. these options are a tad better than tostios! :smile:
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I also use it as salad dressing.. or just bake some chicken covered in it.. or stir into some rice..

I pretty much love salsa. I'd say I eat it at least 5 days a week lol
  • CountryGal83
    CountryGal83 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I've made salsa chicken before. So yummy!!

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    16oz salsa
    2 T yellow mustard
    2 T brown sugar

Combine salsa, mustard and brown sugar. Spread onto chicken. Bake uncovered at 350 for 30-40 minutes. Serve with rice!
  • cloveraz
    Options
    mmmmm.....Salsa!
  • carolkobe
    carolkobe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    On top of catfish before is baked in foil in the oven for 20 minutes.
    On a taco salad, add seasoned chicken or beef to your favorite salad items.
    In a breakfast burrito.
    I use it as a 'veggie' side for many meals...love it!!
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    I use it on anything but mostly on steamed tilapia and wild rice.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I use salsa as dressing!! :)
    I get so much for like 15 calories... that would be like 40-80 calories in a real dressing lol