Im kinda lost, someone help?

Options
Ok, I'm new to this website(I started a few days ago), and I am wondering how this diet actually works. I mean, exercising and eating healthy are easier said then done! I try so hard to control what I eat, but the urge to eat is overwhelming!! I roller blade once a week and swim laps for 2 hours a week, and I was wondering what I could do to exercise more, because I am too busy with schoolwork to go to the gym? Does anyone know any good online exercising videos? And a way to eat healthier without seperating me from my favorite foods? I have tried to lose weight for years now, and I have failed everytime!! I am only 18, and want to live my life to the fullest! Do you think I can lose 40 pounds?? I need a little support.....

Replies

• liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Hi.

First of all, you are at the PERFECT age to re-shape your body and be happy with what you see. How is WISH I had started in my teens. It really does get a bit harder as you get older so take heed!

Second... Don't worry so much about exercise right now. Swimming and rollerblading as you do is fine in the beginning. The most important thing is diet.

Please open your diary so that folks who have been successful can give you tips. I love food. I do. Learning about hummus, salsa, and lower carb options that taste wonderful have helped me through my plateau.

If you do not enjoy cooking, check out the recipe board... It will make you want to cook.

Most of all, know that you have found the support you need here. I have been on many weight loss forums and this by far is the best.

You GO Girl. You will do it. Your will is stronger than you think.
  • Alisonuk
    Options
    I have only been doing this for only 10 days so I am no expert, but what is working for me ,so far is eating more frequently and eating healthier. Eating more frequently will help curve your cravings cause you won't be as hungry all the time. I am still new to this myself so i hope this little bit of info helps, feel free to add me as a friend and we can help each other :smile:
  • BabyfatSarah
    Options
    You are going to be fine. If you are still living at home, you need to get your parents on board to help. I think one of the hardest things to do is resist junk food when it's in the house. So ask your mom/dad or whoever does the grocery shopping to help by buying healthier snacks. You can easily swap out those hard to resist foods, like potato chips, with healthier options. I eat a ton of carrot sticks just for the crunch factor and to keep myself busy. Also one thing my sister and I have instituted is a cheat day. I know it might slow down our weight loss, but it gives us a break. It's hard sticking to low calorie diet, but if you know on Saturday you can have a cookie and a few potato chips it's easier to resist them the rest of the week. Plus I've found that even on my cheat day, I am thinking about what I'm eating. That is what the food tracking does, it makes you much more aware of how many calories you are eating. My sister made a really good point - she said she loves French fries, but now when she's eating them she only eats the first few that are super hot and crunchy because once they are cold they aren't as good and why eat the calories if you aren't going to really enjoy them. It is good you are starting now, at age 18. You are going to be much happier in the future if you loose the weight now. Good luck!
  • Tipton90
    Options
    Being young is a super large advantage when it comes to weight loss. When you are under 25, diet is 80% and excercise is 20% so keeping a strict diet is imperative! I also was at my heaviest when I was 18 (I'm almost 22 yrs old now) I was 160 lbs at one point and knew I had to make a change in my diet. Stick to these simple rules: Don't eat carbs after 4:00 pm, stick to 5-6 small portioned meals throughout the day instead of three large meals, and keep a picture of the body type that you want to look like on your fridge or snack cablinet for motivation. I've kept myself motivated throughout the past 3 years and am now 135 lbs. The south beach diet worked wonders for me last year I went from 145 to 135 in two months!
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    #1 rule - BE PATIENT! If you were like me, my minimum calories of 1200 was a shock and REDICULOUS to what I was used to eating! If I wanted to eat dinner some days and stay close to my calorie goal, I had to go workout to earn it. It will take your body (and mind) some time. You may slip, you may fall down, just get back up. You'll get lots of advice and everybody is different. Be patient and keep trying until you find what works for you. Message boards are great for info.

Start off eating what you "think" is good & then study how it effects your calories. If you are like me, you'll figure out that some of your favorite foods just aren't worth their calories when it comes down to it. You'll either cut your "faves" portion in half or substitute lower calorie/lower fat options in their place. Protein at every meal will help you stay satisfied & vegetables are low calorie, good for you, and help fill you up.

1200 may be just too low for you if you have alot to lose.
    What worked for me...Thanks to advice from another MFPer, I googled "Harris Benedict formula" And found out by using my height (5'5"), weight (180), and activity level in their formula that it estimated that I needed 2457 calories to maintain current weight. And it recommended me to subtract 500 calories for each 1lb I wanted to lose a week. Fo example, I could eat 1957 calories if I wanted to lose just 1 lb/week, 1457 if I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week!! So now I don't beat myself up if I eat 1900 calories - I'm still doing better than I used to!!! You may be surprised what you can consume and still see success. Good Luck!
  • Keeleelee55
    Keeleelee55 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The one thing I have learned over the years is to not deprive yourself of the things you like, just choose smaller portions and have them less often. Exercise is important and you seem to be getting off to a good start in my opinion, but I'm one that hates to exercise! You're young and I wish my sons had some of your motivation. Make small changes every day and soon you will be where you want to be. Good luck in your journey, I'm sure you will do great.
  • liftingheavy
    Options
    #1 rule - BE PATIENT! If you were like me, my minimum calories of 1200 was a shock and REDICULOUS to what I was used to eating! If I wanted to eat dinner some days and stay close to my calorie goal, I had to go workout to earn it. It will take your body (and mind) some time. You may slip, you may fall down, just get back up. You'll get lots of advice and everybody is different. Be patient and keep trying until you find what works for you. Message boards are great for info.

Start off eating what you "think" is good & then study how it effects your calories. If you are like me, you'll figure out that some of your favorite foods just aren't worth their calories when it comes down to it. You'll either cut your "faves" portion in half or substitute lower calorie/lower fat options in their place. Protein at every meal will help you stay satisfied & vegetables are low calorie, good for you, and help fill you up.

1200 may be just too low for you if you have alot to lose.
    What worked for me...Thanks to advice from another MFPer, I googled "Harris Benedict formula" And found out by using my height (5'5"), weight (180), and activity level in their formula that it estimated that I needed 2457 calories to maintain current weight. And it recommended me to subtract 500 calories for each 1lb I wanted to lose a week. Fo example, I could eat 1957 calories if I wanted to lose just 1 lb/week, 1457 if I wanted to lose 2 lbs a week!! So now I don't beat myself up if I eat 1900 calories - I'm still doing better than I used to!!! You may be surprised what you can consume and still see success. Good Luck!
  • acbridges
    Options
    How do you "open" your diary?
  • liftingheavy
    Options
    ^^ This.. Will get you to your goal. Do not restrict calories too much - log, log, log before you eat what you want to eat. I CANNOT TELL YOU how much I've wanted a Gyro with the works and fries until I saw the calories... Then I said "FORGET IT". 2000 calories for 1/2 hour of food?

This is why logging your food works. Stick around. You will not be perfect, but once logging becomes a habit, you will really understand what to do.
  • acbridges
    Options
    Also: is some of this school work that you can take to the gym with you, like your text book that you can read while walking on a treadmill or stair climber? I am also bogged down with classwork but that is what I am learning to do especially since with my internship, I am at a desk most of the day for 2 days in a row.
  • whatsitwerth
    Options
    Cmon now kiddo, you are starting off on a real negative note! Be patient with yourself and the process, weight loss takes time and effort. If this is the first time you have had to diet you can't go wrong joining weight watchers, or finding a group at school or in your community. You need a little education. maybe a few sessions w a trainer too. Don't go it alone, educate yourself.Remember fads don't work, calorie counts are the real success to losing weight. Good habits are easier to come by if you change one thing at a time. So hang in, and Allan to make 1 change a week until these become new habits! UCANDOIT.
  • liftingheavy
    Options
    Go To:

1)Food
    2)Settings
    3)My settings
    4)Diary
    5)Share Diary

Now, do not be embarrased about what is in your diary. Log honestly and receive all of the great help that you will be offered here. Fellowship and kinship is what gets you to your goals.

What you eat is critical too, but it's easier when you have a forum of people doing the same thing.

Do not give up. You WILL do it. Do not deprive, do the best you can most days of the week,

Thats all you need to do
  • dendra7
    dendra7 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    1. Log - log -log. Log BEFORE you stick it in your mouth if you don't know the calories/fat/nutritional value.

2. Log the good, the bad, the in-betweens and the just a little bites of...

3. Give yourself NO excuse not to exercise until it is a habit. Schedule yourself on a regular basis to workout. I schedule a workout for every single day. Then, if something comes up and ruins my plans on one day...I'm not out completely. But you can always find an excuse not to workout. Don't give yourself any excuses. NONE.

4. Feed your body regularly and with the best food you can find. Don't deprive....just redefine what food really is...Fuel.

You can succeed. Bodies are very resilent at 18. Best wishes!
  • thebiggestloser1234
    Options
    Thank you so much!! I hope it will help!! I am still living with my parents, and I dont have my license yet(kinda scared) and with other siblings who love junk food and are still skinny, there is always unhealthy food in the house. The temptation is terrible!! Im gonna start sharing my diary so you guys can give me your opinions! Feel free to friend me!!
    P.S How long do you think it will take me to lose approx:40 lb? Im 167 now!
  • vickie28
    vickie28 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    very well said -- I'm new at this too 8 days -- and i love reading all the great stuff on here !
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    It sounds like we're in similar situations. I keep a set of dumbbells near my computer so I can do stuff while I read, study, or listen to webchats and not feel like I'm wasting exercise time. I'm about to go back into college full time in two weeks, and I know how little time there is for the gym... hence why I'm here. :P
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

P.S How long do you think it will take me to lose approx:40 lb? Im 167 now!

If you stick with it and work hard. You will be rocking an awesome body by summer.

You need to add lots of fruits and veggies into your menu.

The plate of spaghetti, cut it in half and add a tossed salad with a low cal salad dressing.
    Instead of the sugar cookie have an apple.
    Instead of the whole chocolate bar, have half.