What should I do?

Options
When I started this 35 days ago, I thought I would just see how much I could lose just by cutting my calories. I went from almost 3,000 a day (I know! You don't realize how much you eat until you add it up!) to 1500. Just by doing that I have lost 8 pounds. Now I want to add exercise. I don't have a gym membership, and financially right now that is not an option. My favorite thing to do at the gym is walk on the treadmill, anyway, so I know I can do that pushing my son in the stroller.

I am very active at work, I am a trauma nurse in the busiest ER in the state of Florida. One time I wore a pedometer, and I walked 7 miles during my 12-hour shift! But at home, not so much. All the shows/stories/reports, etc. tell you to work out every other day, three times a week, whatever, find time to do it after work or before work. Here's my problem. I wake up at 5:30 am on the days I work, and I have a 40-minute commute to work. I work until 7:30 or 8:00 pm, so I don't get home until around 8:30 or later. After eating dinner, it's almost 9:30 and I'm so tired I'm in bed by 10 or 10:30. Eating dinner at work is not an option because I am usually running my butt off the entire time. Is it ok to just not exercise on my workdays? I work three days in a row, alternating my schedule, no weekends. So this week I work Wed, Thurs, Fri, off Sat and Sun, then work Mon, Tues, Wed, then don't go back to work until the following Wed. (I know, sweet schedule!) Any suggestions?

Replies

• BabyfatSarah
    Options
    You don't need to exercise every other day, especially if you are walking 5-7 miles while at work. That counts as exercise. Just add one or two days of exercise into your off days. When I used to work full-time, I'd work out M and Tue, then give myself a day off and work on on Wed. Then try to work on one of the weekend days, if possible. I don't go to the gym now, I just push my kids around in the stroller 3-4 times a week for at least 40-60 minutes. Good luck!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Take a gander at gainfitness.com. That website will give you some exercises you can do at home - without special equipment. What I like best is that you can ask for a program for 15 minutes, 30 minutes, whatever time you have, and it'll tell you what to do. It's not cardio, but I figure every little bit helps.
  • i_heart_food
    Options
    Take a gander at gainfitness.com. That website will give you some exercises you can do at home - without special equipment. What I like best is that you can ask for a program for 15 minutes, 30 minutes, whatever time you have, and it'll tell you what to do. It's not cardio, but I figure every little bit helps.

Thank you! I will try that out. Having an active toddler can limit me from doing those 40- to 60-minute workouts!
  • Rebjones612
    Options
    Thanks for mentioning this website....I also checked it out....its awesome
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    You can try BodyRock.TV
    I do these workouts every other day. They are super short (most of them 12 to 15 mins) and you can modify just about all the moves to make it to your fitness level! You can add me on here if you want, if you need help with any of them. I can always come up with a great way to modify it for you!