How to keep from being hungry?

Options
I am hungry all the time! Anyone know how to keep from being hungry? I'm on the 17 day diet if you know what that is.. it limits a lot of what you eat.

Replies

• Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've never done the 17 day diet but I know that water and sugar-free gum often times help me through cravings that may work for you.
  • mugsisme
    mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different. My MIL is on a no-carb diet. She eats tons of protein and claims she isn't hungry. When I try it, I waaaay over eat my calories, because I am starving all day. I have accepted the fact that I need higher carbs. One day I was famished all day, and as soon as I had some whole wheat bread and then oatmeal, I felt full.

Coffee keeps me full in the morning, btw. I do add milk to it (skim).

Just my thoughts. Oh. I just made a HUGE pot of vegetable soup that I will eat for lunch. Very filling with a salad and Arnolds sandwich thin on the side (with some cheese for protein). Good luck! Hunger is a HUGE pain.
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i agree with the gum....or keep celery or cucumbers or something similar, not a bad idea to much on those
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    Fiber is a huge hunger buster too, but unfortunately the 17 day diet (especialy in Phase 1) doesn't give a ton of way for fiber. So, I say just keep downing those veggies! :)
  • Candida1983
    Options
    Fiber fiber fiber!! I lost 6 pounds in one week because I learned to listen to my body. I ate slowly, and when I felt full, I stopped eating. Alot of the time when you feel hungry, you're just thirsty. Try drinking a glass of water before you eat something. And protein really does help to make you feel full as well. It's good to eat protein after workouts to help you recuperate. Hope this helps!!! :happy:
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    being hungry is the body's way of telling you to feed it. I don't know what the 17 day diet is, but I'd say your body is not getting what it "needs"

Example: If you ate 10 Big Mac's you would definitely have taken in enough calories for a few days however your body will still not have gotten what it "needs"

try a snack of a protien/good carb (non-complex) such as an apple and boiled egg. Works great!!
  • jacobsonmandy
    jacobsonmandy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Water, water, water...honestly it helps. Also, snack on veggies that take alot of chewing like carrots, celery etc.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the 17 day diet is.

But I eat small meals and I eat frequently (every 3 - 4 hours). I try to eat things that are very protein heavy. And I generally drink a large glass of water every time I eat and that works extremely well to help me get that really full satisfied feeling.

Gum can be helpful. I prefer the Extra sugar free desert flavors especially the mint chocolate chip ice cream flavor.
  • Protien and healthy fats! Protien is harder for the body to digest, so not only does it take more energy (aka calories) to digest, but it stays in your stomach longer and curbs your appetite. Healthy fats help satisfy cravings.

Also, there have been several studies that link some properties in eggs to a decrease in appetite. Researchers found that people who ate eggs in the morning were less hungry throughout the rest of the day and even ate less.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I am hungry all the time! Anyone know how to keep from being hungry? I'm on the 17 day diet if you know what that is.. it limits a lot of what you eat.
    First, make sure your settings reflect a 1 lb per week weight loss goal. Do cardio and resistance exercise, and eat back your exercise calories.
    Don';t starve yourself or it's a given that you'll fail in the end.

Successful weight loss should be based on eating healthy foods in reasonable portions; limiting sugars, alcohol, and refined starches; and getting plenty of exercise. The 17 Day Diet falls short in its beginning by requiring limits and restrictions on certain fruits and vegetables.

This is a prescription for failure. The 17 day diet is bogus.

As for the hunger cravings, that was something I just had to work through. None of the above suggestions ever did anything for me. I just had to gut it out, and eventually things leveled out.

Those terrible cravings went away.
    Good Luck!
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    eat small bites very, very VERY SLOWLY and chew, chew chew! Make sure that it takes you at least 1/2 hour to eat a meal and don't drink anything with your meal... wait at least an hour and then have your water
  • ljcatch22
    ljcatch22 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 17 DD and trying to keep to 1200 ish calories a day. It's a little weird, because as soon as I started it, I stopped feeling hungry all the time like I did before when I was eating around 3000 calories. This is my usual day.

Breakfast/Snack
    Fruit and Greek Yogurt or an egg-white and turkey sausage"muffin" (egg whites, turkey sausage, onions, tomato, and bell pepper in a muffin tin and baked, it's around 86 calories per "muffin")

Lunch
    Large salad with a small amount of ground turkey ( I cook it with taco seasoning) and salsa or zesty italian ranch
    Baby carrots
    Jiff peanut butter to go (I really love PB)

Snack
    Carrots or some other kind of veggies, low carb fruit

Dinner
    Chicken curry without rice, The 17DD chicken vegetable soup, Low carb pumpkin chili, or spaghetti squash spaghetti

I'm probably not following cycle 1 exactly ( I HATE green tea, and don't always eat my second yogurt), but so far I've lost around 7 pounds in about a week.

Just remember that you can pretty much have as many non starchy veggies as you want, and as much lean protein as well. You aren't really supposed to worry too much about calories, since as long as you're following the plan, it'd be pretty hard to overeat on veggies. I just like to track because it keeps me honest. :) Maybe some egg whites with bell pepper, onion, and tomato?
  • allenbonnie01
    Options
    Try Jason's deli wraps. They are low in calories and the portion size is filling. Or, try some Progresso Chicken Corn Chowder, only 80 calories per cup.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    What helps me is to drink a diet soda and/or eating some cottage cheese. Works like a charm....usually.
  • ajevans2674
    ajevans2674 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Aside from trying a to alter the types/amount of foods you consume (more protein foods, more small snacks throughout the day, more fruits & veggies, etc.) I think it just takes a while for the body to respond to changes. If you're used to eating higher calories and then restrict them, it can take a few days to adjust, but the hunger does go away. My only other piece of advice is to watch the type of carbs you eat. I definitely don't restrict carbs, but I work to eat good carbs. Simple carbs cause the body to produce insulin, which can trigger hunger cravings, whether you really need the calories or not.
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Water, water, water, water, oh and water! And gum
  • lisamarie1199
    Options
    I'm also on the 17 day diet, and have been super hungry, a lot. It does get better, though, the further along you go, but really, for me, the hunger doesn't go away until Phase 2. It's worth it, though! I lost 15 (of 15) pounds when the diet first came out, and now I'm back on it hoping to lose 10 pounds.

So, when I'm super starving and on the edge of eating pizza with a Snickers on top, I head to Chipoltle and get a salad with chicken, tons of salsa, guac (fat helps hunger), and a Diet Coke (which I rarely drink cuz it's so bad for you). Also, I will sometimes sautee ground turkey, mushrooms, red peppers, onions, then add some delicious tomato sauce (I love Rao's sauce, which you get at some grocery stores and also on line--no sugar) and a bit of parmesan. Cook together and add spinach towards the end. This is really filling and satisfying.

For those pooh-poohing the diet: Recent studies have said it's okay to go on a short-term, accelerated diet plan for a couple of weeks--no harm done, and it's very encouraging to get some real weight loss under your belt. The 17 DD is low-carb (but allows fruits), but more than that it's low-calorie, and for me, it's simple and it works.
  • Eons44
    Eons44 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    like others have said, just fill yourself up with water
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Anyone know how to keep from being hungry? I'm on the 17 day diet if you know what that is.. it limits a lot of what you eat.
    How to keep from being hungry: feed your body what it needs, instead of following fad diets. :)
  • phyllisann26
    phyllisann26 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    17 day diet is great! Both my husband and myself have done this diet and loss weight. I follow a lot of what I learned from it in my daily eating. Which cycle are you in? I snacked on Greek yogurt with SF strawberry preserves or cottage cheese. In the first and second part of the diet you could get more chicken, turkey or fish to satisfy your hunger. If you do not have a problem with cholesterol you could have more eggs.